G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Wheel suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wheel suggestions?

I've ran through several threads here & on 6mt, and most seem to center on "looking aggressive", "stance", & being "cheap".

I'm more concerned with weight & contact patch. I actually really like my stock Rays, but they're a little narrow, and I'd rather get wider lightweight wheels than use spacers.

I like the SSR GTV03's (but haven't looked to see if they'll fit) and the Enkei Raijin's (look nice, but can't find weight specs so far - will search again later).

My plan is to find a matte black set to go on my silver 6mt coupe. I've done several light power mods (test pipes, Stillen catback, intake, tune), but no suspension/brake upgrades yet (coming later this year). What factors would I need to consider when buying wheels if I plan to add Tein or BC coilovers and larger (Wilwood or Brembo) calipers? Unless it's absolutely necessary for the occasional track day, I have no plans on going with super aggressive camber, etc.

Both of those mods can be done with stock wheels, but I want to make sure the offset/other factors I haven't thought of with aftermarket wheels don't make those upgrades harder than they should be...

Oh, and I'd like to stick with 19s. 20" seems like it would just add rotational mass and the visual aesthetic isn't enough to justify picking up the extra weight, IMO.

Anything in a similar style as the wheels I mentioned above proven to be good quality recently? Pics please

Oh, and just so someone can have the joy of correcting me later... Rims.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by zcherub
I've ran through several threads here & on 6mt, and most seem to center on "looking aggressive", "stance", & being "cheap". I'm more concerned with weight & contact patch. I actually really like my stock Rays, but they're a little narrow, and I'd rather get wider lightweight wheels than use spacers. I like the SSR GTV03's (but haven't looked to see if they'll fit) and the Enkei Raijin's (look nice, but can't find weight specs so far - will search again later). My plan is to find a matte black set to go on my silver 6mt coupe. I've done several light power mods (test pipes, Stillen catback, intake, tune), but no suspension/brake upgrades yet (coming later this year). What factors would I need to consider when buying wheels if I plan to add Tein or BC coilovers and larger (Wilwood or Brembo) calipers? Unless it's absolutely necessary for the occasional track day, I have no plans on going with super aggressive camber, etc. Both of those mods can be done with stock wheels, but I want to make sure the offset/other factors I haven't thought of with aftermarket wheels don't make those upgrades harder than they should be... Oh, and I'd like to stick with 19s. 20" seems like it would just add rotational mass and the visual aesthetic isn't enough to justify picking up the extra weight, IMO. Anything in a similar style as the wheels I mentioned above proven to be good quality recently? Pics please Oh, and just so someone can have the joy of correcting me later... Rims.
making sure the disk of the wheels is BBK friendly

Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I couldn't recommend putting cheap wheels on your coupe for various reasons! I would suggest your checking out our Marketplace under private classified for our members selling their wheels. They generally sell for half of retail so you could buy good wheels and not break your bank. You'll need to be careful of offsets, nothing higher than mid 20s or lower than mid teens. If I didn't have my Volks I'd be looking at those deep concave Forgestars from Gotyourwheels on our marketplace!
Gary

Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gary c
I couldn't recommend putting cheap wheels on your coupe for various reasons! I would suggest your checking out our Marketplace under private classified for our members selling their wheels. They generally sell for half of retail so you could buy good wheels and not break your bank. You'll need to be careful of offsets, nothing higher than mid 20s or lower than mid teens. If I didn't have my Volks I'd be looking at those deep concave Forgestars from Gotyourwheels on our marketplace! Gary
yeah but forgestars are cheap wheels lol...with a dishonest name to boot lol

Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think "PIAA SUPER ROZZAS" are freakin sweet, when I had my 19s thrown on the tire shop told me they couldnt believe how light they were, rears 10inch wide and fronts 9, on a 04 AWD G35X yes the radius is under 3% but my tires are stretched like a ****. and every noise or smell has me as paranoid as a PDX crackhead, so far loss in MPG and takeoff feels reduced but higher RPMs she screams like a Banshee. 24.7lbs per rim fr and 25.8lbs per rim rear. I posted them on craigslist a week ago but have since then gotten new tires 3 days ago.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by cxviclique
I think "PIAA SUPER ROZZAS" are freakin sweet, when I had my 19s thrown on the tire shop told me they couldnt believe how light they were, rears 10inch wide and fronts 9, on a 04 AWD G35X yes the radius is under 3% but my tires are stretched like a ****. and every noise or smell has me as paranoid as a PDX crackhead, so far loss in MPG and takeoff feels reduced but higher RPMs she screams like a Banshee. 24.7lbs per rim fr and 25.8lbs per rim rear. I posted them on craigslist a week ago but have since then gotten new tires 3 days ago.
Those look really nice, but are significantly heavier than the Rays for being the same size. What width were the ones on your G?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
yeah but forgestars are cheap wheels lol...with a dishonest name to boot lol
Thanks Jerseytaylor, so they're not forged? That sucks, cause they look
Gary

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gary c
Thanks Jerseytaylor, so they're not forged? That sucks, cause they look Gary
nah Gary
They play those nonsense games
Rotary flow formed forged or whatever the hell they brand their cast wheels as lol.
They use so many cool words to make you think you're getting a forged wheel. You almost forget what you're looking for when you're done reading

You too Vossen...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fronts are 9-wide 225/40R19 And Rear-10wide 255/35R19.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The Super Rozas aren't bad for the price, there are lighter options available but mine have held up great to years of punishment. I just hate the fact the largest they come in is 10".

OP, whatever brakes you choose will have fitment specs available. Look those up before purchasing wheels. Wide wheels and tires are great but when you lower with coils fitment becomes an issue depending on how low you go. I had to run a 30 profile tire because of this. As far as wheels you will want 19's or less, forged is obviously better. Some will say 18's are better due to their lighter weight but I personally think they look too small on the coupe.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
The Super Rozas aren't bad for the price, there are lighter options available but mine have held up great to years of punishment. I just hate the fact the largest they come in is 10".

OP, whatever brakes you choose will have fitment specs available. Look those up before purchasing wheels. Wide wheels and tires are great but when you lower with coils fitment becomes an issue depending on how low you go. I had to run a 30 profile tire because of this. As far as wheels you will want 19's or less, forged is obviously better. Some will say 18's are better due to their lighter weight but I personally think they look too small on the coupe.
Good info - thanks! So pick brakes out before wheels - makes sense... And yeah, definitely don't want to go any heavier than the stock Rays if I can help it (19-22 lbs).

As far as lowering the car, I don't care too much about the "look" or "stance", I just want the handling/stability advantages for the few times per year it'll be tracked (plus occasional fun on mountain roads ). I was thinking a .8" - 1" drop, but haven't researched much for the G yet in that department.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, good news is that forgestar's are actually decently light for being cast.

AFAIR, their f14 in 19x10 weighs in at like 25lbs, which is really not that bad.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by TJVDR
Well, good news is that forgestar's are actually decently light for being cast.

AFAIR, their f14 in 19x10 weighs in at like 25lbs, which is really not that bad.
Still a downgrade from the stock Rays in the weight department. Trying to go in the other direction!

I know it'll cost more for forged wheels, but I'd rather pay nothing and keep the weight stock than pay more and fatten the already fat G up by 20+ lbs.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything's a trade-off

Depends on what you want out of the car, and how much you're willing to spend. I currently have a set of oem rays, but I would gladly trade a few lbs to be able to run some wider rubber.

For refrence, a 19x10 TE37 weighs 21.7lbs, so 25lbs ain't bad at all, considering a used set of volks will still run you north of $2k

EDIT: If you're trying to find something LIGHTER than the rays, there's little room for improvement.