G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Goin 65mph in PARK!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goin 65mph in PARK!!!

yah ... you read it ... my D*m8@$$ friend threw my babyG into PARK while we were goin bout 65mph. Needless to say, D*m8@$$ will NEVER drive my baby again! It felt like my heart dropped into my stomach. I know that throwing it in PARK while driving strips the transmission, but on a quality car like this, don't you think that the gears would automatically disengaged in a situation like this? Maybe I'm jus trying to make myself feel better. There was this whirring sound and the SLIP light went on. I told him to pull over, where I so wanted to kick the living $h!T out of him. Anyone with tech or mech expertise, please let me know how bad my baby has been hurt. Worst case I have the warranty to fall back on. Arrrggghh.

DP coupe/auto/prem/aero

Old 05-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Re: Goin 65mph in PARK!!!

OMG, Beat him with a stick!

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 05-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the warranty does not cover abuse. I wouldn't mention the park incident to the dealer. Of course, their mechanic may look at the type of damage and decide it's abuse. Then you'll have to take a pound of flesh from your friend to pay for it.

What a total lack of common sense on your, *ahem*, friend's part.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-08-2003, 01:00 PM

Why would he do that?

http://www.eastcoastbmw.net

Old 05-08-2003, 01:03 PM

yeah.. i have to ask the same question.... why would he put it in park? is he some kind of moron or was he intentionally trying to screw up your G... out of jealousy perhaps??

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 05-08-2003, 01:03 PM

If all goes wrong and the warranty fails to fix it, take his a$$ to Judge Judy if he doesn't pay up![img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2003, 01:17 PM

wtf is wrong with that guy???

Does he know how to drive?

Old 05-08-2003, 01:28 PM

Does he have a license? I wouldn't even let my friend look at my car if he did something that stupid.....

Old 05-08-2003, 01:31 PM

If anyone did that to my G (assuming I had an auto) I would kick the living [censored] out of them. At the very least if there are any problems, make him pay the bill in full. Hell, you should make him pay for a replacement transmission anyway cuz stuff like this may lead to problems later.

Old 05-08-2003, 01:33 PM

No, I was not the one driving. I guess he was so nervous that he was driving a new car ... and me next to him yelling he's reving too high and to take it out of manual mode didn't help. It drives fine now ... what would be the symptoms that the tranny is #*#@* up?

Old 05-08-2003, 03:55 PM

Id imagine the big tell signs will be odd noises and a lugish feeling when switching gears(like when riding a bike and the gears not catching completly; but not quite as severe as that).

Old 05-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh. Ya made him nervous. I rev my own engine that high. He would have done less damage bouncing off the rev-limiter. You might have been better off just reaching over and bumping the car up to 5M on your own and calming telling him to not do that again -- but then, as they say, hindsight 20/20. [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

So, what happened at that point? I take it the car skidded to a spectacular stop...

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 PM

no, didn't skid to my suprise. It wouldn't let me shift it back to drive. The shifting button locked. So, not knowing what to do next, I told him to pull over. The SLIP light wouldn't go off till the key was out of the ignition and engine restarted. Man ... last time I ever let anyone drive my G.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:33 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh dude, nice friend. I'm sure he didn't mean it but man what a 'spaz'. Let that be a lesson as to who drives your spanking new Coupe.
Now as to damage-------If it drives ok (and parks ok), then take a wait and see position. Sounds like nothing happened other than 'flat spotting' your drive wheels. It's hard to believe this but long ago the '64 Mercury my Dad bought was touted as having a strong enough tranny to withstand throwing it in Park at speed. That doesn't mean that our G's could withstand that kind of abuse, but it does give some perspective to the possible strength of A/T's. And ours is strong enough to go into the 'Q'.
Personally I'd say you're OK if all seems OK now
So just play it by ear. If you find it needs some work at Infiniti, then you'll have to depend on their understanding. Otherwise you (or your clutzy friend) is on the 'hook'. G/L bro

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-08-2003, 06:33 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

crashTestDummy (enthusiast )
05/08/03 02:33 PM

No, I was not the one driving. I guess he was so nervous that he was driving a new car ... and me next to him yelling he's reving too high and to take it out of manual mode didn't help. It drives fine now ... what would be the symptoms that the tranny is #*#@* up?

<hr></blockquote>

Well if you find your G in the neighbors yard that could be a symptom of a F^#@ up tranny.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Goin 65mph in PARK!!!