G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 to GTR conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ncrazyballa
Day 3. I prepped the car for scanning by masking the edges of each panel for definition, as well as adding lots of dots for reference points. I took 14 separate scans all together and had to stitch them together at the end using a program. Overall the scan is good, i will have to compare it to dimensions from the actual car to see where the deformities are and make adjustments. After that i can start 3D modeling the new body to fit the car.
That's pretty neat. Is that 3D scanning camera expensive?... What do you use for Software with it?

I have no intention on ever doing that, but I work in the Software industry and was just curious.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 AM
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts
Subd

Old 12-31-2015, 07:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarrocker98
I will be following this VERY closely. As I am looking for a wide body. I personally have always been a fan of the GTR... BUT converting the G35 over tot he GTR are you going to chop the roof? Keep the same body lines? Are you just going to make it a wide body but keep the G35 hood and trunk area the same? That would be awesome haha.... Doubt it. But could be cool...
Roof will stay the same, front end and rear bumper will be new pieces that bolt on to existing points, everything else will rivet/glue on.

Originally Posted by guitarrocker98
If those are the renderings... My issue is going to be that buying parts for the GTR body wont work... So if I wanted like a duckbill spoiler or a different set of fenders it wont work... Everything will have to be hand done.
first world problems.

Originally Posted by LoSt180
In for updates.

Reminds me of that guy who chopped up a G35 into some kind of supercar looking thing.
Matt is the guy who builds the vaydor kit, im from the same forum hes from. Hes too good for us now.

Originally Posted by JOKER
I have a custom spoiler in mind for my G35. Would you be able to advice me on how to proceed with creating something like that?
Yeah, shave the part buck out of foam, finish it with spackling, seal it with epoxy, create partition flange to creat the top and bottom mold, fiblerglass each side to create mold, then fiberglass the mold to create part, then bond the 2 parts together and you have a spoiler.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
In for updates.

Reminds me of that guy who chopped up a G35 into some kind of supercar looking thing.
That thing was sad. so much time and effort put forth to make the slowest super car on the road lol. Could have at least done something with the engine...

Old 12-31-2015, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
That's pretty neat. Is that 3D scanning camera expensive?... What do you use for Software with it?

I have no intention on ever doing that, but I work in the Software industry and was just curious.
the scanner is inexpensive for being a 3d scanner. the scanner comes with software to make scans. the stitching software i use is meshlab which is free.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by ncrazyballa

Yeah, shave the part buck out of foam, finish it with spackling, seal it with epoxy, create partition flange to creat the top and bottom mold, fiblerglass each side to create mold, then fiberglass the mold to create part, then bond the 2 parts together and you have a spoiler.
whats a good foam to use and tools to shape it with?

Old 12-31-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
When this was attempted in the past, only one member was successful! The rest failed and were even laughed at here on Driver! Do you want to drive a "Want to Be?" There are several ways to modify your G35 or G37 to make it your own, turning it into something it can never be just isn't a great
Gary

Old 12-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
When this was attempted in the past, only one member was successful! The rest failed and were even laughed at here on Driver! Do you want to drive a "Want to Be?" There are several ways to modify your G35 or G37 to make it your own, turning it into something it can never be just isn't a great
Gary
Who cares what people here think... especially on a forum. The car was obviously wrecked and the guy doesn't have much to lose by trying. Sounds like a fun project if you have the time and resources regardless of how it ends up. Good way to improve ones skills too and I'm sure a positive experience in genera.

The following 2 users liked this post by partyman66:
dukehotty (01-01-2016), ncrazyballa (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Subbed!

And it's great to Have a one of kind as opposed to the same car everyone else has.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
whats a good foam to use and tools to shape it with?
You can use extruded polystyrene. Its the pink insulation Styrofoam they sell at home improvement stores.

Gary
Yes, I want to be a want to be. Do you have links to those failed projects and or the guy who was successful, would like to see it.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Sub'd

Gary
That might have been the attitude by the wannabe elitists on here when the G was new and still worth something. But now, it's practically a Civic.

Last edited by dofu; 12-31-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
CrazyBalla

What is your occupation/day job? I just ask because of your access to the 3D scan.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
CrazyBalla

What is your occupation/day job? I just ask because of your access to the 3D scan.
I really dont have a job. Im a freelance worker a.k.a guy with no job.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Hope everyone had a good holiday. Got back to work. The next thing was to check the scan to see if it was accurate and it is indeed accurate. Next, I mocked up the front end of the GTR to the g35 scan. here are some photos. The front end looks good but a tad bit big? anywho its surprising how well it fits to the g35, do both cars use a similar platform? one of the tabs on the gtr headlight bolts on in perfect position to the radiator support, maybe its just luck. thats all for now. The 3d modeling process is pretty slow and will take about a week -2 weeks to complete.

Attached Thumbnails G35 to GTR conversion-1.png   G35 to GTR conversion-2.png  
Old 01-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subbed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 to GTR conversion