G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

First mods for an 05 g35 coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First mods for an 05 g35 coupe?

Hey y’all I recently just purchased an 05 G35 coupe with 80,000 miles on it from an Infiniti dealership and I’m looking into what mod would be a good first one. Just as a little backstory I’m 18 years old and saved up 5k from working just to afford this car so my car payments only 161$ a month plus insurance so I don’t have a lot of money to really do anything crazy. I work part time at fast food while I’m going to a junior college so my budgets around like a grand. I wanted to do an exhaust as the first one but I don’t really know which one to go for or the pricing. I’ve looked around the forum and saw the invidia as a good option, but I’m wondering also how hard it is to install or how much it’d probably cost at a shop. My knowledge of working on cars is pretty limited since I just recently got into cars so I really only know how to do general maintenance like an oil change or change bulbs in the lights. I was also wondering if there’s anything I should look into replacing or upgrading before I do a new exhaust since it is a 13 year old car.

-also as a backstory on the car, 80k miles, the car was always service and babied it was a one owner car by and older couple who always garaged and covered it. It’s the cleanest G I could find, really well taken care of and it’s the manual. The guy at the dealer also said the couple had an rpm limiter on it at 4K so they literally never took it over 4K rpms lol

Old 07-17-2018, 01:23 PM
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...pe-thread.html

Although there are lots of pages, this is where you need to start. A plenum spacer is a nice place to start for affordable mods. Suspension - Sway Bars and end links.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
lets see some pics!

Old 07-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

First step in working on your car is going to be building your arsenal of tools. If you don't already have access to tools, you'll need to get a good set of jackstands and/or ramps, a hydraulic jack, a socket set, and a torque wrench. These are the basics that will allow you to safely dissemble / reassemble your car, and as you will soon learn, you can never have enough tools. At 80k miles your exhaust may be tough to remove if it's never been touched, especially if you're located in rust-prone areas, so I recommend spraying and soaking every bolt in PB blaster or similar penetrating oil before you even try to remove them.

Anyways, read up on here, watch youtube videos, you can tackle most jobs on these cars with a little education and the right tools.

Good luck, and throw up some pics c:

PS - Read up on the rear diff bushing, and check yours out when you get under there. It's pretty tough job to get done, but it's fairly inexpensive mod with great benefits. Also what Fred said, a set of swaybars really wakes these cars up.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
first things i did was AEM dryflow filter, spark plugs, Z tube, drain/fill diff, trans flush (i have 5AT).

Old 07-17-2018, 06:22 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OP you're not going to want to hear this but a G isn't a great idea for a teenager's first car. Parts can get expensive quick, insurance is going to be high for someone your age and the fact the car is 14 years old, and the gas mileage is terrible. Even more so if you're going to put your foot in it quite a bit. You also have the infamous issue of oil consumption to worry about on the 05-07 coupes with the manual transmission. Your $1000 is going to go quick as you'll want to do preventative maintenance before doing any "fun" mods and replacement parts can get pricey quick.. You'll have bushings to replace, possibly front upper A arms, compression rods, lower control arms, differential bushing as mentioned above, possibly a clutch replacement and the list goes on and on. A clutch flywheel replacement will cost over $1000 just for that. A lot of us will advocate getting a cheaper car to be your entry into ownership such as a Honda or Toyota. Fun choice, probably not but definitely smarter than buying something you really want and getting in over your head right from the start.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Dream:
NemesisGee (08-02-2018), telcoman (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
OP you're not going to want to hear this but a G isn't a great idea for a teenager's first car. Parts can get expensive quick, insurance is going to be high for someone your age and the fact the car is 14 years old, and the gas mileage is terrible. Even more so if you're going to put your foot in it quite a bit. You also have the infamous issue of oil consumption to worry about on the 05-07 coupes with the manual transmission. Your $1000 is going to go quick as you'll want to do preventative maintenance before doing any "fun" mods and replacement parts can get pricey quick.. You'll have bushings to replace, possibly front upper A arms, compression rods, lower control arms, differential bushing as mentioned above, possibly a clutch replacement and the list goes on and on. A clutch flywheel replacement will cost over $1000 just for that. A lot of us will advocate getting a cheaper car to be your entry into ownership such as a Honda or Toyota. Fun choice, probably not but definitely smarter than buying something you really want and getting in over your head right from the start.
Yeah I knew it probably wasn’t the best idea, but I’m not dailying it, this is my second car I bought my first one a 1998 Buick century for a grand and that’s what I daily, and that’s mostly what I planned on doing first which is the preventative maintenance. I should be out of school in 2 years as well since I’m going to nursing school so I’m not super worried about expenses

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't listen to any of these guys. First mod you need is a shot of n2o. You gotta see what that car is made of, if it can take a swift kick in the ***, so I recommend hitting that **** with a minimum of a 200 hp shot of n2o at 2k rpms. Get a wet kit used and you r good to go!

Last edited by onevq35de; 07-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:41 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Put some tints on the car simple yet effective

Old 07-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be boring and tell you to spend cash on maintenance first... learn to diy if you can. then probably tints and exhaust

Old 07-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Regardless of whether or not you should have bought the car, you did so here we are. I bought my first G at 17 and went in with eyes closed honestly knowing nothing, what I recommend after driving a G for almost 3 years is This, keep it stock, add some tints and learn to do stuff yourself first, otherwise you'll always have to rely on others to do work for you, which will cost as much or more than the mods themselves. YouTube is a great tool just be sure to be smart when working on the car. Also check your oil every morning, or at least 2-3 times a week, trust me.

I know it's not the most exciting advice but it's going to be the way that'll prepare you best for years to come, especially if you don't really know how to wrench on a car yet

Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I must be getting old and sound like a broken record. Don't mod your car, these are nearly extinct in original unmolested form. As others have said, keep your money for any future repairs and use quality OEM equivalent parts.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If you decide you must do a modification, the least expensive and one of the best is a Motordyne 5/16" spacer which corrects Nissans plenum build error! This mod won't devalue your G like other members are concerned about! You might also add a K&N drop in filter if yours in dirty, available at most quality Automotive parts stores!
Gary

Old 08-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Mod it. Never been a better & easier time as it's all been figured out. Early on, many threw lots of $ at these cars and now the late comers like myself have benefited without most of the trial and error. The Z, G (& especially the FX if I do say so myself, and I just did) are still some of the best looking autos on the road. Can any more manufacturers copy the 1st generation FX (I'm talk'n bout you Jaguar, Maserati, Mazda and Porsche Bacon, I mean Macon)?
One of if not the biggest attractions to the Japanese/German market is the appeal/design above their American competitors. They're dirt cheap now and there's well over a decades worth of knowledge, tons of support from the various participants on sites like this as well as the manufacturers, parts sellers & shops. It's a no-brainer if you like the car, and how could you not?

Last edited by onevq35de; 08-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Some cheaper first mods to consider ztube drop in filter, rims and tires, diode dynamics tail turn signal, change the interior LEDs, suspension work, springs or coilovers, upgrade bushings, maintenance, oil change spark plugs, cabin filter, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First mods for an 05 g35 coupe?