G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help with some info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base Model
Help with some info

Hey guys, so I did some research through the forums and other sites and was looking for confirmation or suggestions for the following mods:

Exhaust:
My car is a 5AT and I want it to be a little louder than stock maybe even a little deeper without the drone if possible. So I was thinking to start I would go with the Plenum spacer and JWT Popcharger w/ Stillen Z Tube.
As for exhaust, I was thinking of replacing the stock muffler with either Magnapack mufflers for dual exit or a Magnaflow muffler for single exit but I am unsure as to how they would sound or if they would drone.
Do you think these options are good?

Lighting:
I found in the forums that the G uses Festoon and T10 bulbs so do you think the following 2 sets are a good choice for replacement of licence plate lights, courtesy lights, dome lights, glove box lights:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Paint:
The car has some swirl marks in a couple spots which I am guessing is from previous owner using Non-touchless car washes. Before I take into a proper detailer I was planning on trying the following:
Car wash > Clay Bar > Meguiars Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover > Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax
Any other recommendations would be amazing!

Wheels:
I would love for the wheels to stick out to match the body, I was wondering what spacers I could use, I prefer the ones that use the existing lugs but for the size spacer I would need I feel like there wont be enough lug space. Should I just run this setup for now until I decide to change the rims or should I look into extended lugs?
Since I do live in Canada, would a staggered setup be recommended for winters with wider rears?

Thanks,
Aakash

Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Aakash -

Here are my thoughts -

For lighting - just go to diode dynamics site and order - they have a kit for the G35. I tried (on many vehicles) to find cheap LED's and that is exactly what you end up with. They often go out, or one LED stops, or the dreaded flickering that will never end. Yes Diode is a bit more money, but both sets I have had worked from the start - and still do 4 years later.

JWT and Z tube will help with both intake and exhaust sounds - suggest you simply do one mod at a time to ensure you get the right sound. Many posts where guys buy multiple mods and end up with drone. Start with your intake, then plenum - and if you need more you can then look into the exhaust. There is small hack you can do by unbolting the final muffler and add a spacer for sound - I don't recommend, but if you want more growl for the cheap - it can be done. Considered a bit of a "kid" mod - I have heard it done and it does sound much better than stock.

Spacers will get you a mixed review - I have ran them on a staggered set on a X and have them on my GMC truck currently. Again, just don't cheap out - all the vibrations and alignment isues I hear about come from folks using ebay to buy a 50 dollar spacer. Lesson learned from G35's is SPEND THE MONEY! Cheap mods are fun, but in the end can cost even more.

And enjoy - I just came back to the G's after a 5 year break and love the cars!! This is a great forum as well - don't forget the classifieds to save you some more $$$

Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ArkansasG35COUPE
Hi Aakash -

Here are my thoughts -

For lighting - just go to diode dynamics site and order - they have a kit for the G35. I tried (on many vehicles) to find cheap LED's and that is exactly what you end up with. They often go out, or one LED stops, or the dreaded flickering that will never end. Yes Diode is a bit more money, but both sets I have had worked from the start - and still do 4 years later.

JWT and Z tube will help with both intake and exhaust sounds - suggest you simply do one mod at a time to ensure you get the right sound. Many posts where guys buy multiple mods and end up with drone. Start with your intake, then plenum - and if you need more you can then look into the exhaust. There is small hack you can do by unbolting the final muffler and add a spacer for sound - I don't recommend, but if you want more growl for the cheap - it can be done. Considered a bit of a "kid" mod - I have heard it done and it does sound much better than stock.

Spacers will get you a mixed review - I have ran them on a staggered set on a X and have them on my GMC truck currently. Again, just don't cheap out - all the vibrations and alignment isues I hear about come from folks using ebay to buy a 50 dollar spacer. Lesson learned from G35's is SPEND THE MONEY! Cheap mods are fun, but in the end can cost even more.

And enjoy - I just came back to the G's after a 5 year break and love the cars!! This is a great forum as well - don't forget the classifieds to save you some more $$$
Thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your bulbs.

Aakash, to follow up on that, please feel free to shoot us a PM if we can help with anything lighting related.

Thanks!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

Old 01-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
For spacers - I bought a couple sets of no-name 20mm hubcentric spacers with built-in lugs for my sedan and have been running them for.. almost 5 years without issue. I believe they cost $80 for all 4, and before installation I checked them on a few thousand $$ worth of measurement equipment I had access to at the time (worked in aerospace), and they came within 0.0005" of roundness and run-out, and weights were all within 0.05lbs of each other. YMMV, but I would definitely take a chance on cheap spacers again.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Jake - tail to turn mod for a 03 G35 Coupe - could you send me a quote?

Andy

Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
For wheel spacers, 25mm front and 30mm rear will be close to bringing the wheels flush. Its easier just to get the spacers that have the built in studs.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
+1 for bolt on hubcentric spacers, I would NEVER run slip on spacers even with extended studs.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ArkansasG35COUPE
Hey Jake - tail to turn mod for a 03 G35 Coupe - could you send me a quote?

Andy
Hey Andy,

That Tail as Turn Module runs $50.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

The following users liked this post:
ArkansasG35COUPE (01-11-2019)