G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need Advice on Passing Emissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The ECU would be the last thing I would replace. Even if it was flashed the changes should not effect the emissions controls.

The following users liked this post:
jland13 (01-20-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT
I tried to take it to a place specializing in emissions today (partnered with DEQ) and got more of the same answers, not willing to work on car with performance parts and/or tune.

At this point I'm not sure that buying used parts and slapping them on is going to do it as I will need to have the car tuned to enable the sensors etc and I don't want to just roll back the car to OEM everything.

Also I'm afraid that getting it tuned and the sensors turned back on is going to throw codes as well (this requiring replacements of parts), since I'm sure that's why they were turned off in the first place. Doing research on Uprev it seems this is no longer an option anyways (disabling monitors), so I'm not sure how they handle these issues now a day's. I guess maybe they make sure there is no codes with aftermarket parts in the first place instead of just disabling the monitors?

It looks like my best option is to take it to the tuners and hope they can get it to pass with the mods I have, which the guy seemed confident of on the phone. Problem is they are a month out on the Dyno and I'm having a major surgery that's going to put me down for around 2 months in a few weeks, so my hope of getting this done beforehand seems like it's slipping away.

I also tried reaching out to the previous owner but haven't gotten a response yet, so that's looking like a dead-end.

What mess, don't be like me and make sure the car you're buying will be legally drivable before you get it. Ugh.

Thanks again everyone for the help, at the very least I learned a hard lesson and know a lot more about my car so that's a plus I guess.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by jland13

I can almost guarantee this is the case. I have never seen a CEL on my car even though Torque shows Oxygen Sensors and Heater Unready, and Catalyst unavailable. DEQ guys also said it was likely tuned by previous owner to bypass Cat's since there was the discrepancy on their report. If I have it reflashed is it possible to save/export the current configuration and the reload it after the test? Should I retune it if not or keep it stock?
You can test if its been flashed with Uprev by trying the map switching feature. Hold down "SET" and press the "CANCEL" button 1-5 times, then release "SET". The cruise light on the dash will blink the number of times you pressed the set button, to indicate which map you switched it to. When you're done just switch it back to map #1, that's where most guys put the main performance tune.

If it has been flashed then I can almost guarantee you that the rear O2's are disabled, and you will need to get retuned to turn them on, after you install some OEM cats. (preferably used, I would check craigslist for partouts).

The following 2 users liked this post by seymore4:
Blue Dream (01-24-2019), jland13 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by seymore4
You can test if its been flashed with Uprev by trying the map switching feature. Hold down "SET" and press the "CANCEL" button 1-5 times, then release "SET". The cruise light on the dash will blink the number of times you pressed the set button, to indicate which map you switched it to. When you're done just switch it back to map #1, that's where most guys put the main performance tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXY3WGF6huE

If it has been flashed then I can almost guarantee you that the rear O2's are disabled, and you will need to get retuned to turn them on, after you install some OEM cats. (preferably used, I would check craigslist for partouts).
Ok I checked and I was able to switch profiles as you suggested, so it does seem my car has the Uprev tune. I also see the CEL when the car starts so at least the bulb wasn't removed and it seems the sensors were disabled as you suggested.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Wouldn't replacing the ECU with a stock used unit from the correct engine/trans/year combo restore the stock tune without the expense of getting another Uprev license and dyno tune? That was what I've been saying all along for the "cheapest route forward", correct me if I'm wrong. And if it didn't work for some reason you could always sell the used parts again.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Wouldn't replacing the ECU with a stock used unit from the correct engine/trans/year combo restore the stock tune without the expense of getting another Uprev license and dyno tune? That was what I've been saying all along for the "cheapest route forward", correct me if I'm wrong. And if it didn't work for some reason you could always sell the used parts again.
I think that if I go that route I would have to revert other parts to stock as well, correct? At the very least I would need OEM Ca'ts and sensors, and then the ECU as well. My worry if I go that route is that other things would need to be reverted to stock as well (intake etc.) as from reading other threads it seems that messing with anything related to the air/fuel ratio is going to throw codes on a stock flash.

The tuners were offering to tune my car while also making sure the sensors were on (not sure about codes though) and being able to pass emissions with what I have on the car.

So I could either pay $700 to have it tuned for what's on it or pay about that for the Cat's/Sensors/ECU/Stock flash plus everything I need to do it (floor jack, jack stands, breaker bar, extensions etc.). My garage also barely fits my car in it so I'm not sure I even have the space to work on it myself currently either.

The problem with both approaches is that neither guarantees that's that's all that will need to be done. I could pay to have it tuned but realize there is no way it will pass with the cat's on there, and then need to buy OEM Cat's and retune it. I could also get everything I need and then realize there was something else that is causing it to throw codes, from what I understand. I don't want to have to revert the car back to stock just to pass emissions basically, but who knows at this point.

If I could get the Cat's and sensors and tune it while keeping my current tune for the high cats on a different profile, that would be ideal, but I'm not sure if that's even possible or if it needs to be reflashed.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
You can't just plug in another ECU. You have to either reflash it with Uprev to disable NATS or get it reprogrammed from the dealer. Also, once you have an Uprev license you never have to buy another one, just redo the tuning part.

The following 3 users liked this post by seymore4:
Blue Dream (01-25-2019), cswlightning (01-25-2019), jland13 (01-24-2019)