G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

The vk45de engine swap guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 PM
kel
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The vk45de engine swap guide

I was responding to a pm message and decided to just share the swap info with everyone who wants to try it on their g35. First thing to know is that you can use the stock engine mounts from the g35 on the v8 vk45de, for the transmission I just bought the bellhousing fom the vk45 and had a machine shop adapt the vq35 6 speed transmission to the vk45 bellhousing. For the car to run with no problems you will need to use both flywheels, the v8 flywheel is very thin but you need it for the ecm to read the correct timing. You will then install the vq35 flywheel on top of the v8 flywheel. Also remember to get a bearing that goes in the back of the v8 engine + most importantly there is a metal spacer that goes between the engine and the transmission bell housing. I f you don not install the spacer the timing will be off. The v8 engine harness has to be adapted to run on the g35. Once you have the harness done you can have uprev remove the nats security program from the ecm.

Here's the link to my build from along long time ago.
https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...oject-g45.html

Last edited by kel; 03-20-2019 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
itgogitrev (04-09-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by kel
You will then install the vq35 flywheel on top of the v8 flywheel. Also remember to get a bearing that goes in the back of the v8 engine + most importantly there is a metal spacer that goes between the engine and the transmission bell housing. I f you don not install the spacer the timing will be off. The v8 engine harness has to be adapted to run on the g35. Once you have the harness done you can have uprev remove the nats security program from the ecm.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Your car looks amazing and certainly stood the test of time.
As somebody considering this as my first engine swap that I plan to complete with as little help as possible, I was left with a couple questions.

1) By the bearing that goes into the back of the V8, are you referring to a custom sized pilot bushing with the ID of the transmission output shaft and the OD of the VK45 crank's pilot bushing hole?

2) Is the only purpose of the metal spacer to align the timing notches on the V8 flywheel with the crankshaft sensor hole on the CD009 transmission case?

3) Do you know the details on adapting the engine harness? Is this a major affair where it would make more sense to pay someone 4 digits or is it something a mechanically minded person could figure out without a whole lot of specialized knowledge besides how to solder and use a multimeter?

4) To attach both flywheels did you simply use longer flywheel bolts or did they drill alignment features into one or both of the flywheels so that balancing would stay consistent when removed?

Really appreciate you coming back on here to share how your build held up!

Last edited by cswlightning; 03-21-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM
kel
1.) To be honest it's been so long I forgot the bushing I used but i'm pretty sure it's the same one you would use if you were converting an automatic g35 to a manual.

2.) The purpose is for the crankshaft sensor to read the correct timing off the v8 flywheel so the stock ecm can read the timing. Without the spacer you will get continuous crank and camshaft sensor codes popping up.

3.) This is the hardest part of the swap you can use a stock 2006 and up m45 engine harness and a 40 pin connector from autosport wiring. you will have to reuse some connectors from the v6 harness. you have to re-use the top 3 connectors (F1,F2,F3) from the v6 harness located next to the battery + the white connector I believe its F108 and pin them to the 40 pin connector and maybe like 2-4 wires on the stock v8 harness.

4.) The V8 flywheel is very thin, i'm pretty sure you can use the stock bolts from the V6 and be fine.

I'll try to find the where I wrote everything down for the engine harness swap. If not i'll make another one. I've done it so many times it doesn't take me as long lol.

Last edited by kel; 03-23-2019 at 08:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by kel:
coreytheranga (08-03-2019), itgogitrev (04-09-2019), NemesisGee (08-08-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe 5AT - Daily driven - 275+ RWHP
Subscribed

Subscribed.

Blue Dream (03-26-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, I remember following your original thread back in 2008 when I picked up my sedan. Cannot thank you enough for the inspiration and commitment you had to this project.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan V35 GT8
Hey Kel! I've started to put together some bits for this swap and I was wondering:

Did you require a custom sump as well or did the factory sump clear using the VQ mounts.

Also, looking at the pictures, it's hard to tell, how much higher does the VK sit over the VQ? I see you used custom intake manifolds, I imagine this was to help with both the turbo setup and clearing the hood.

From what I can tell so far, you required:

a modified harness, a double flywheel + spacer, the bellhousing attached to the gearbox. What else was needed?

Cheers

Old 08-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Do you still have the car?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM
GMC Truck 100
Originally Posted by cswlightning
3) Do you know the details on adapting the engine harness? Is this a major affair where it would make more sense to pay someone 4 digits or is it something a mechanically minded person could figure out without a whole lot of specialized knowledge besides how to solder and use a multimeter?
I'd say it helps to be familiar with electronics, multimeter, measuring resistance and voltage, but the factory diagrams available are INCREDIBLY helpful. Based on their information I was very nearly able to make a stock M45 dash cluster work for MPH, but it turns out the calculations are done in an additional brain, so I was only able to turn the trip meter and not the gauge itself. Still, was very impressive!

Old 05-06-2020, 07:33 PM
kel
Originally Posted by coreytheranga
Hey Kel! I've started to put together some bits for this swap and I was wondering:

Did you require a custom sump as well or did the factory sump clear using the VQ mounts.

Also, looking at the pictures, it's hard to tell, how much higher does the VK sit over the VQ? I see you used custom intake manifolds, I imagine this was to help with both the turbo setup and clearing the hood.

From what I can tell so far, you required:

a modified harness, a double flywheel + spacer, the bellhousing attached to the gearbox. What else was needed?

Cheers
sorry for the late reply haven't been on here, but I will start checking 1-2 times a week from now on

1. I'm using the stock oil pan but I need a new sway bar because the oil pan gets in the way.
2.The VK sits lower than the VQ, I ended up using the stock VK45 manifold just had to get it modified to fit the VQ throttle body
3. That's everything you need + the ecm from an 2006-2010 m45.

Real important it's better to use the 2009 Nissan Maxima throttle body (it's plug and play with the M45 engine harness and it's 75mm just like the m45 throttle body )

Last edited by kel; 09-01-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 PM
kel
Originally Posted by The-Dream
Do you still have the car?
yeah I was driving it on saturday

Old 05-06-2020, 07:38 PM
kel
Originally Posted by Richter12x2
I'd say it helps to be familiar with electronics, multimeter, measuring resistance and voltage, but the factory diagrams available are INCREDIBLY helpful. Based on their information I was very nearly able to make a stock M45 dash cluster work for MPH, but it turns out the calculations are done in an additional brain, so I was only able to turn the trip meter and not the gauge itself. Still, was very impressive!
The factory diagrams are super incredibly helpful you can find them here: https://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals

Old 05-06-2020, 07:59 PM
kel
The easiest way to setup your harness is to get an 2006 M45 engine harness and a 40 pin connector harness from autosport wiring harnesses: https://www.autosportwiring.com/ . you have to tell him that you need the 40 pin connector it should be under the ASW180 Nissan Ecu connectors.

You have to adapt the 3 connectors by the battery which are F1,F2,F3 and F108 which is under the glove box by the passenger door.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the exhaust? What type of exhaust are you running? / Did you ever find a front sway bar that works?

Old 07-31-2020, 01:08 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
I remember following your build thread super long ago.

Do you have any new vids or pictures of the car you can share?

anynigma (08-03-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Any updates on this build

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The vk45de engine swap guide