Timing chain issue please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe
Timing chain issue please help

I have a 2005 g35 5AT 155k miles
Now I have done some research and found some good information but just want some answers to my situation specifically. (I’ve also never posted on here but I’ve been lurking for a while so idk if this is the right thread or whatever to post this in and if it isn’t I’m sorry!)

so yesterday on my lunch break I noticed my SES light had come on so I went to autozone really fast and saw it was a camshaft position sensor p0011 and that was the only code I was getting, I thought it was no big deal until I was driving home and heard a rattling type sound from my engine, only when I accelerated over 2k rpm. I am due for an oil change and I drive A LOT I probably average 50-100 miles a day. I’ve heard it can be the timing chain guides, tensioners or the chain itself.

Unless someone has some input on what my next step should be tomorrow before work I’m going to go get an oil change (I’ve heard some people say this is an oil issue and getting an oil change fixed it and the code went away but sounds too good to be true) see if the sound continues then if it does see a mechanic a friend recommended to me and see what he says.

I looked up on YouTube with people with this same issue that has a rattle that sounds the EXACT same at the exact same time saying it was the timing chain and they ended up bending a rod ruining their engine

it only rattles when accelerating not when letting off the gas or at start up.

Just curious about how much this might run me to have it fixed and I’d this is the issue or not

EDIT: the car drives completely normally other than the sound but I haven’t driven it at all since the sound started

UPDATE: yes the oil was low, turns out I have an oil leak oops. Problem solved, erased the codes and they haven’t come back on. No more weird sounds. Lesson learned thankfully without ruining my engine.

Last edited by zebrasdontfly; 09-02-2020 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Have you checked your oil?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:35 AM
G35 coupe
Originally Posted by eazdaskeez
Have you checked your oil?
i did last night, the car was still pretty warm even after not being driven for an hour but there was oil in it, it was kind of hard to tell but it seemed to be enough to where it shouldn’t causing issues. I just got the car a little over a month ago and got really screwed over by the last owner I bought it from.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
First off, check your oil level with the engine stone cold (i.e. before you go to work in the morning). Park it on level ground if you can. My 04 G35 with 170k burns ~1qt/2,000 miles.
These cars do NOT like to run low on engine oil, and they tend to burn oil when they get up there in the miles.Typically the first to starve from low oil are the VTC sprockets and connecting rods as I understand, both can get noisy!
P0011 indicates that the cam timing is different than what the ECU commanded it to be. Typically with the VQ35de, the VTC solenoids fail causing this code.
The VQ's have 3 timing chains & thus 3 chains tensioners. They all use oil pressure to help tension the timing chains, with springs keep some tension on the chain when the engine is off. The lower one has a ratchet mechanism to prevent the main chain from getting slack. I have heard that if the upper ones fail, it can cause a rattle like you are describing. When the lower fails you'll get a 'zing' noise at startup for a second or so. Overall, the TC tensioners are relatively durable with normal maintenance.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:01 PM
G35 coupe
Originally Posted by andrewl_v35
First off, check your oil level with the engine stone cold (i.e. before you go to work in the morning). Park it on level ground if you can. My 04 G35 with 170k burns ~1qt/2,000 miles.
These cars do NOT like to run low on engine oil, and they tend to burn oil when they get up there in the miles.Typically the first to starve from low oil are the VTC sprockets and connecting rods as I understand, both can get noisy!
P0011 indicates that the cam timing is different than what the ECU commanded it to be. Typically with the VQ35de, the VTC solenoids fail causing this code.
The VQ's have 3 timing chains & thus 3 chains tensioners. They all use oil pressure to help tension the timing chains, with springs keep some tension on the chain when the engine is off. The lower one has a ratchet mechanism to prevent the main chain from getting slack. I have heard that if the upper ones fail, it can cause a rattle like you are describing. When the lower fails you'll get a 'zing' noise at startup for a second or so. Overall, the TC tensioners are relatively durable with normal maintenance.
so yes the oil was pretty low, I haven’t had the car for very long and I have no idea what the guy had done before me to it.
I got an oil change and put the best oil they had in it, drove about 25 miles and didn’t hear the noise at all like I had before in the car. When I open up the hood with the engine on I can hear the chain but I can’t tell if it’s loose and making more noise than it should because it’s very quiet and doesn’t sound “bad” not that I’d know if I’m being honest but it’s not like it was before now.

so should I just wipe the code and see if it comes back or if the sound comes back then have it looked at?