G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

P0011 code and ticking sound on start up with newer timing chain and VVT Solenoids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sedan
P0011 code and ticking sound on start up with newer timing chain and VVT Solenoids

I am starting to be at a loss on what to do with my car. I have been battling this P0011 code for a long time. Car runs fine but you can hear a little ticking sound sometimes after start up especially when cold and it fades away. I have read other posts and thought I had done everything suggested. Wondering if it is an oil pressure issue and what is my best way to try fixing or figuring that out. Here is what I have done.
  • New timing chain, guides and such 2.5 years ago
  • Replaced cam sensor a couple times
  • Recently replaced VVT solenoid
  • Several oil changes with minimal miles between, like 1000.
The code keeps coming back. Been thinking about doing a oil flush but wondering best way and product to use to tackle. Any other ideas on what I should try? I really need help to figure this out.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
VQ's are a solid lifter design, so as the heads wear the tolerances open up, resulting in a ticking noise, often more pronounced when cold. Both my G35's have ticked when cold, as long as it goes away when warmed up, nothing to be concerned about.
Now, you have P0011. With DE's this is usually caused by a failed VVT solenoid, or simply from low oil level. HR/VHR's that is typically caused by the oil gallery gaskets blowing out. What year is your G?
I would start with an oil pressure test. I did one with a Harbor Freight oil pressure test kit and a Glowshift sandwich plate between the oil filter.
Did you replace the solenoid and cam sensor with OEM parts? These cars don't play very well with aftermarket sensors. OEM or Hitachi is best.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 PM
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Also, check the harness that leads to the VVT solenoid. Also, you replaced both solenoids or only one?

Old 07-30-2020, 05:41 PM
G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by andrewl_v35
VQ's are a solid lifter design, so as the heads wear the tolerances open up, resulting in a ticking noise, often more pronounced when cold. Both my G35's have ticked when cold, as long as it goes away when warmed up, nothing to be concerned about.
Now, you have P0011. With DE's this is usually caused by a failed VVT solenoid, or simply from low oil level. HR/VHR's that is typically caused by the oil gallery gaskets blowing out. What year is your G?
I would start with an oil pressure test. I did one with a Harbor Freight oil pressure test kit and a Glowshift sandwich plate between the oil filter.
Did you replace the solenoid and cam sensor with OEM parts? These cars don't play very well with aftermarket sensors. OEM or Hitachi is best.
The car is a 2005 G35 Sedan. I didnt use OEM for the cam sensor. I actually had the VVT solenoid done at my local Firestone shop as they said that would fix the issue but it didnt. I dont know what part they used, yeah I know that isn't helpful and probably should have verified what they used. Just was hoping that was the final fix and to be done with the issue. I am not familiar with the glowshift plate. Does harbor freight sell that too? Amazon?

Do you know the thread size I would need?

Last edited by drew_351; 07-30-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 AM
G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by andrewl_v35
Also, check the harness that leads to the VVT solenoid. Also, you replaced both solenoids or only one?
Only one solenoid was replaced. Bank 1 on the passenger side which I believe was proper based on the code. Are you suggesting I may need to do the other one? And when you say check the harness what should I check it for?

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by drew_351
The car is a 2005 G35 Sedan. I didnt use OEM for the cam sensor. I actually had the VVT solenoid done at my local Firestone shop as they said that would fix the issue but it didnt. I dont know what part they used, yeah I know that isn't helpful and probably should have verified what they used. Just was hoping that was the final fix and to be done with the issue. I am not familiar with the glowshift plate. Does harbor freight sell that too? Amazon?

Always a good idea to follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post7196261

See page EC -181

See page LU-8

Old 07-31-2020, 05:46 PM
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT

My advice is to get an OEM or Hitachi cam sensor. I used to work for AutoZone, and at that time a lot of the commercial parts sales were to Firestone. That said, odds are that cam sensor is not either of the aforementioned brands.

The glowshift adapter I mentioned is from Amazon. It has four 1/8 NPT ports + plugs. The Harbor Freight uses a 1/8 NPT fitting, so no adapters needed. Thread tape 3 plugs + the hose on the gauge and test. In accordance to the FSM test temperatures, If memory serves correct, I had ~30psi at idle and above 65psi at 2,000 rpm. I used an IR temp gun to approximate the oil temp.
As Telcoman mentioned, the FSM states to remove the factory oil pressure sending unit and install an oil pressure gauge. However, some have reported that the provision on the oil pan can crack easily upon removal or installation of the sensor. Not worth chancing in my opinion, so I went with the sandwich plate.

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2020, 05:50 PM
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Only one solenoid was replaced. Bank 1 on the passenger side which I believe was proper based on the code. Are you suggesting I may need to do the other one? And when you say check the harness what should I check it for?
I was mainly confirming they changed the correct bank solenoid.
By check the harness, look for any exposed wiring or torn insulation. A rat chewed through the knock sensor harness on my 04 G a few months ago, which was quite a job to replace.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
P0011 happens when the ECM sends a certain pulse width to the cam actuator solenoid but the cam position is reads through the cam sensor doesn't match how much angle it's sending out.

Either the actuator is not properly opening for the currect pulse width, or the oil pressure is insufficient to move the sprocket the correct amount (can be a leaking galley gasket on the DE engine, uncommon but can happen) , or the sprocket itself is damaged internally, or the cam sensor is sending back the wrong data to the ECM, or the wiring connecting everything together is damaged, or the timing chain was improperly installed.

It's well documented that the VQ engine doesn't like aftermarket cam sensors, Hitachi was the OEM manufacturer of the sensor so either buy directly from Hitachi or from Nissan/Infiniti.

Was this problem happening before the new timing chain? Did it run properly and for how many miles on the new timing chain was it running properly?

If the cam sensor wasn't a Hitachi or Genuine Nissan Parts I would start by replacing it.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 AM
G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670
P0011 happens when the ECM sends a certain pulse width to the cam actuator solenoid but the cam position is reads through the cam sensor doesn't match how much angle it's sending out.

Either the actuator is not properly opening for the currect pulse width, or the oil pressure is insufficient to move the sprocket the correct amount (can be a leaking galley gasket on the DE engine, uncommon but can happen) , or the sprocket itself is damaged internally, or the cam sensor is sending back the wrong data to the ECM, or the wiring connecting everything together is damaged, or the timing chain was improperly installed.

It's well documented that the VQ engine doesn't like aftermarket cam sensors, Hitachi was the OEM manufacturer of the sensor so either buy directly from Hitachi or from Nissan/Infiniti.

Was this problem happening before the new timing chain? Did it run properly and for how many miles on the new timing chain was it running properly?

If the cam sensor wasn't a Hitachi or Genuine Nissan Parts I would start by replacing it.
I do not remember the code for the timing chain, and it may not of had the code maybe just the chain rattle at low rpm. Either way the car ran fine for a year before the fist time this code came up and at that time it was paired with another code.

I can buy a new sensornfrom my Nissan dealer. Do you think the same would be needed for the VVT solenoid? That was replaced but I am guessing it isn't a Nissan part.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey. Did u ever figure out this issues ? I am chasing the same code same side and also after 6 months of driving after replacing water pump, chain guides and tensioner. Run perfect for 6 months and now this code showed up. Let me know if u have resolved this issue. Cheers

Old 10-07-2022, 12:35 PM
G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by Danielek
Hey. Did u ever figure out this issues ? I am chasing the same code same side and also after 6 months of driving after replacing water pump, chain guides and tensioner. Run perfect for 6 months and now this code showed up. Let me know if u have resolved this issue. Cheers
Never figured it out. Sounds very similar to the issue I did have. Replaced several things but didnt fix it. Sold it. Done with Infinity.

Old 10-16-2022, 11:32 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Similar issue with an '02 Maxima I had. If I hit the rev limiter (it was easy to do in winter pulling out in traffic) at all, my car would go into limp home mode. I'd have to turn it off, pull and clear the P0011 code and restart it. Then it was fine until it happened again. Oil pressure was good, cleaned out the passages in the solenoid, new Hitachi cam sensors (so much easier to replace with the engine sideways), etc but nothing ever worked. Drunk totaled that car for me and I got another '02 Maxima with a 6 speed instead of the 4AT, didn't have any issues with that car.