G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New hydro handbrake install issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed rwd coupe
New hydro handbrake install issues

I just finished installing my hydraulic handbrake and I'm having issues with the brake pads rubbing excessively. I ran it on a dual caliper setup so I didn't have to hard line it into my footbrake. It's a chase bays handbrake with a wilwood master cylinder. It's run back with steel braided lines to a second set of stock brake calipers. I just replaced the rotors as well as the pads for both sets of brakes. I have no idea what is causing the excessive rubbing of the pads on the rotors. Any advice helps at this point

Old 02-27-2022, 10:26 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Are the lines running next to the exhaust? Only thing I can think is it's getting hot and expanding the fluid.

I have also seen in the past where aftermarket long handled brakes actually had a lot of weight to them and the weight of the handle was enough to create enough pressure on the master cylinder to build pressure. That's why you typically see long handle brakes mounted in a vertical position.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:01 PM
6 speed rwd coupe
I've ran the brake lines inside the car, out the wheel well and straight into the calipers. It doesn't even get near the exhaust. My handbrake is a vertical handbrake as well.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:54 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's really odd then, are you SURE the brakes were bled properly and there's not something like a limit stop screw on the handbrake that needs to be adjusted first?

If you're sure it's not in the handbrake itself then for some reason the master cylinder must not be releasing pressure, maybe a defective seal or the return spring isn't strong enough to pull the piston backwards after pressure is released off the piston stud to handbrake connector.

Is the handbrake solidly connected to the master cylinder piston rod or is it a floating style where the piston stud isn't actually pinned/connected to the handbrake. If it's a floating style make sure there's plenty of grease on the end of that piston stud.

I'm assuming no but you didn't run through any kind of proportioning valve/line lock/etc type of fitting right?

Old 02-27-2022, 09:10 PM
6 speed rwd coupe
I bled them as much as I could, took it for a short test drive, bled them again, then let them sit overnight and bled them one more time.

The handbrake has a solid connection to the master cylinder piston rod.

I haven't run any kind of proportioning valve/line lock/etc type of fitting

These are some pictures of the handbrake before I connected the lines for a closer look at how it sets up