Airbag delete - occupant detection system code B1022

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 04:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
White G35 Coupe 6MT 19" Rays 185K miles
Airbag delete - occupant detection system code B1022

Hello
I installed aftermarket seats and am doing the airbag delete trick with a 2.2Ohm resistor soldered to the airbag connector as shown in the image. Then I did the airbag reset/diagnostic type several times but yet the blinking light does not go away.
So I used a code reader and got the B1022, B1129 (for the side air bags) codes, despite having the resistor installed. I did the airbag reset procedure several times, and it didn't work. I followed the full service manual's SRS.pdf file's instructions.

Is there something else I need to do additionally ? Or did I do something wrong here ? Please advise.

airbag connector with resistor

Old 05-29-2023, 05:19 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
B1022 the occupant classification system computer (the one inside the seat) isn't working. This has to remain functional.

B1129 this is the right seat side airbag located in the seat back cushion, this is the one that needs the resistor.

I have a feeling you aren't wired up correctly and cut the occupancy classification sensor and installed the resistor on it instead of the seatback side airbag.

If not use a DMM and measure actual resistance, don't just go off the stripes, verify it's actually 2.2 ohm, you might have a misprinted 2.2k ohm or something. Maybe the solder job isn't making good contact. I've seen a LOT of resistors out of spec over the years, it's a longstanding habit to always check my end of line resistors with a meter now before using them.

2.2 should be red, red, gold, gold according to my handy dandy phone app.

It could also be just the variance of the resistor isn't making the computer happy. A final gold stripe is +/- 5% and if it's at one extreme or the other the computer might not like it. You could try a smaller tolerance final stripe if you don't have any that are closer to actual 2.2 ohm.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670
B1022 the occupant classification system computer (the one inside the seat) isn't working. This has to remain functional.

B1129 this is the right seat side airbag located in the seat back cushion, this is the one that needs the resistor.

I have a feeling you aren't wired up correctly and cut the occupancy classification sensor and installed the resistor on it instead of the seatback side airbag.
Thanks cleric670. So here is what I have done: I removed the stock seats, disconnected all the wiring and installed aftermarket seats. Then I cut the 2-pin yellow connector from the stock seat itself and attached the 2.2 Ohm resistor by soldering it and connected it back into the other yellow connector end that was in the car for both the driver and passenger sides. I am definitely using 2.2 Ohm since I bought a pack of 10 2.2Ohm resistors (red red gold gold stripes) from Amazon.

1. I am not using the stock seats anymore, so I am not sure where the occupant classification system connector is going to be here. Is it outside the seat somewhere ? Is it in the seat and needs to be removed from the stock seat and placed in the car ?
2. I didn't cut any wiring that was in the car body, just disconnected stuff. I only cut the yellow connector from the actual stock seat to attach the resistor to, and connected this to the wiring in the car body.
3. Agree, I will test the resistance in the wires and see if there is a wiring problem, and if the resistance in question is 2.2 Ohm exactly.
4. More dumb questions: if the passenger airbag is disabled unless the passenger is sitting on the stock seats, that means that the passenger airbag may never get enabled on the after market seats because there is no weight sensor. Is that right ?

I am trying to make sure that my procedure is correct and that even though the side air bags are missing, the others will work when needed.

thank you.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's just listed as a "communication" circuit from the occupant classification computer back to the airbag computer. On the occupant classification computer it's a brown / white stripe wire but it changed color and becomes an orange wire on the airbag diagnosis sensor unit (airbag main computer).

I suspect it's just a 5vdc signal, the occupant classification computer converts to 5vdc and uses that to monitor the belt tension sensor and the actual occupancy pressure switch in the seat. If you hook it all back up you can probably just take a DMM and see what voltage it's sending back on that orange wire, then just find some other source of that same voltage in the car and run it to that orange wire on the airbag diagnosis sensor unit.

That car would then always deploy the passenger side airbag as if there was someone sitting in the seat during a frontal crash or a passenger side impact crash.

The following 2 users liked this post by cleric670:
HoserG35 (06-03-2023), Urbanengineer (06-06-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670
It's just listed as a "communication" circuit from the occupant classification computer back to the airbag computer. On the occupant classification computer it's a brown / white stripe wire but it changed color and becomes an orange wire on the airbag diagnosis sensor unit (airbag main computer).

I suspect it's just a 5vdc signal, the occupant classification computer converts to 5vdc and uses that to monitor the belt tension sensor and the actual occupancy pressure switch in the seat. If you hook it all back up you can probably just take a DMM and see what voltage it's sending back on that orange wire, then just find some other source of that same voltage in the car and run it to that orange wire on the airbag diagnosis sensor unit.

That car would then always deploy the passenger side airbag as if there was someone sitting in the seat during a frontal crash or a passenger side impact crash.
This is valuable information. I will use the wiring diagram and try to figure it out this way.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:21 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you don't make any progress on this in the next couple weeks reply back and I'll see if I can check it out. I'm going to have my console off shortly because I had a little wardrobe malfunction in my console this evening, a cartridge popped out of a magazine, found it's way into the 12v power plug, shorted it out, and blew a fuse so I'm deleting the one in the center console... Weirdest problem I've ever had.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (06-06-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 05:26 PM
I did make some progress. I cut off the yellow connectors on both driver and passenger side. I soldered brand new 2.2 Ohm resistors on each connector wire as shown in photo. Battery was disconnected during this process.
I reset the airbag system once after doing the driver side, and once after doing the passenger side.

The driver "side airbag" code B1034 went away. Passenger "side airbag" code remains. I did not yet try mimicking the "occupant classification computer" as I didn't get time to read the wiring diagram. will try later this week.

driver seat side-airbag connector replaced

passenger seat side-airbag connector replaced

airbag module codes

Old 06-12-2023, 08:49 AM
More pictures, in case anyone is wondering how I did the soldering.

airbag delete resistor 2.2 Ohm

resistor soldered to the airbag connector

The following users liked this post:
HoserG35 (06-13-2023)