G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone else think the G35 is slow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone else think the G35 is slow

I used to feel the same way about my G but I think it's only because it is fast but just doesn't feel fast.

Last weekend I went to see some friends at the track, my friend with his 2001 mustang GT with some bolt ons did a best time of 13.98@100.05mph. On the way back we did a 65-135mph highway pull and it was dead even so I guess my car is faster than I tought.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:03 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like I can kill myself in this car. I haven't even broken it in, yet (keeping it under 4,000 RPMs), but the car just wants to move when I step on the pedal. I can't wait until I reach 1,200 miles (another 100 to go), and just gun it.
I saw the 0-60 on the new maxima, and I was suprised that it was almost as fast as our G35C. I like the maxima, but it was a bit disappointing to see that they (even the altima is close) can go as fast as we can. Although, the looks cannot be compared .
There are too many cars in our range - 540i, rx8, Audi 2.7t. Although, I am happy that we can keep up with a V8 BMW, I wish our car could go faster than that rx8. Does anyone know if ALL future mods (yet to come our way), void the factory waranty?

Old 05-20-2003, 09:16 PM

All the nismo stuff shouldn't affect the warranty. An other thing that makes my car feel slower is that many of my friends have turbo civics/integras with 280-360whp. Of course a low 14s luxury/sport car will feel slow when you are used to thoes fast econobox.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:41 PM

Keep in mind that weather plays a major factor in how well your car responds to throttle inputs. EVERY car I have ever owned ran better somedays than others. But yes, I do agree the adaptive ECU can be a real PITA. Going to SOCAL this weekend to pick up our new Lexus RX330 and I believe it has an adaptive ECU as well. Errrr! [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]
[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
Ordered 4/03: 2003 G35C, 6MT, Blk/Blk. Loaded ETA ~ 7/03

Old 05-20-2003, 09:48 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah those toyotas have had the adaptive ecu since 99 i believe

You guys ever think about this though:
The ride is so flat and very little dip and wobble in the suspension, so you dont get thrown back as hard as you would in other cars, plus the G is nearly 50/50 weight distribution...so that helps in keeping the car leveled at peak acceleration

Just a thought

<font color=green>-Leblau Timmaw</font color=green>

Old 05-20-2003, 10:12 PM

Don't feel bad Wreck it's been at least 10 years for me as well and I'm still saving for my G because I just bought a house. I remember San Fernando Rd, Gardena, etc. Shoot, I remember cruising Laurel Cyn. looking for some Brownies.

Ah, to be young with a G... oh yeah and single too.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my 5AT beat a MT 3 series coupe by .25 seconds at the track, and I didn't even touch the gas until the 3rd amber light. Could've been a bad driver, but after 60' I was hitting each point faster than he was, and some of those stretches had to be all WOT for the bimmer. Maybe that car had more, but so did mine.

In retrospect, before I reset the ECU, my car was like an honor student who'd pulled an all-nighter studying for an exam: you could tell it knew what to do, but was real groggy getting around to it. And re-connecting the battery was like a double-shot of caffeine. Which wore off after awhile, leaving it almost as groggy as before. Damn fine metaphor if I say so myself.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 05-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rambo has a point. The mid engine config may also affect the torque squat in the rear on take off. This is what pushes yo a$$ into the seat. That as well as an awesome suspension may isolating us a little from the action. Just a though, [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 05-21-2003, 03:45 AM

wreck,

The first time I drove my friend's '95 M3, I used to think that car had so much torque. He chipped it so that the power kicks in around 3K RPMs, has an intake and exhaust. Of course, coming from my stock '92 240sx, you can understand why I would think that, right?

After owning the G35 coupe for a couple of months, he had me drive his car again. This time, I felt none of the torque that I had once remembered. The speed was there, but the torque wasn't. I reasoned that it was because I was now coming from a car with more torque, so his didn't feel as punchy as mine.

How I described the sensation to my friend was this...I felt that his car was kind of like a motorcycle in the sense that I didn't really feel torque in his, but his immediately took off after I downshifted. Where as my car seems to take a second to lift the weight of the car up and then haul *** with a purpose. If I had to race a clone of myself in both cars, I felt that the M3 would take off ahead immediately, but with the G eventually catching up and passing it. But at what speed, I wasn't sure. That's how the two cars "felt" to me.

Unfortunately, his car is old, and (according to his mechanic) in danger of needing some costly repairs if he drives his car hard anymore, so I can't race him to see how his modded car stacks up to mine.

In any case, I suggest that you try opening your G up some more to really test its power. The first two gears are weak below 4k RPMs. Try rowing through the gears up to 6k and see how that works for you.

G35c 6MT/BS/G/Prem/Aero/Nav

Old 05-21-2003, 07:47 AM

at low RPM's, the G doesn't pull on cars as well as i would've liked.. but once u kick it into gear and get past the 4000K mark, this thing gets downright scary.. the G has power.. it's just mainly hidden up high..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 AM

That is what I am hoping to find also, re: breaking in and the upper rev band. I read the specs on the G and the reported 1/4 times and thought it wouldn't feel too much slower then my previous ride, Modified 93 TT RX-7, By specs, the G seems like it performs like bone stock RX, well, with a flatter torque curve. I thought I could live with that, just waiting to see if there is good power somewhere. I do know that torque has improved noticably since I picked the G up 4 days ago. That might be what is throwing everyone off, the flat torque curve. Makes the car feel slower than it is when compared to a car with a peaky torque curve. But right now, it doesn't seem all that fast, I have a little under 1000 miles to go before break in is over. Arrrgh this is killing me.

Currently driving 93 RX-7 TT. Very seriously considering selling the RX for a G-35 coupe.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:07 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's typical of a mid or low displacement engine: A little lacking off the line (which isn't all bad since that's where most of the wheelspin will happen).
Only displacement will yield more torque off idle.
As you said tho, once things get wound a little, this sucker moves. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Montgomery's Finest

Now now [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] i have 4k miles on mine and it still smells like it's burning the clutch....I took it to the track for the first time last week....that when i started to smell the clutch again after i really opened it up....The toruqe is there believe me it is my best run bone stk. is 14.7@95.5mph for a stk. car with everything in it including my girlfriend torque is really there..The car is supposed to run 14.2@98.0mph

Old 05-21-2003, 09:47 AM

it's just kinda sad when camry's and buicks are pulling away from me at stop lights.. of course, i'm usually grannying it in the city..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 05-21-2003, 10:22 AM

There is nobody that has pulled away on me on a stop light, usually they are about 3 car lenghts behind me in a matter of couple of seconds, this thing moves, i have an 5at and use the manual mode and shift at the redline, wow! fun fun. I have noticed lately (since i have been pusing it hard) a light burning smell when i do a lot of shifting at the redline. My car is at about 4200 miles and have been driving it hard since it had about 2000 miles. I cannot drive this thing slow, whats the point. If you want to drive like an old lady get a camry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think the G35 is slow