G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone else think the G35 is slow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone else think the G35 is slow

wreck, are you comparing the E55, that was the M5's competitor, to our G?
http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/e55.html

That car runs under 5 seconds. How can you compare the G to that expensive piece of machinery (over $70,000). It's just not fair to the G.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Running for his life!!

Yah your right.. It's not fair that I am comparing to that class of car. That's why I think I screwed myself from driving that car to the G. But I had sell off that car and get the G to put some money in the bank. I think it is time for me to buy a house and stop renting. I know I could of gotten a cheaper car and saved more money, but the G looks so nice!!

But, the another reason for this thread, is that people tend overate the G. I just think it is simply not as fast as they think it is. Definately there is room for improvements. The G is worth every penny.

PS. No way the G will beat the NSX. At least the 2000 and up models. That car is really fun to drive, and looks great. But not worth the money.

G35C 6MT / E55

Old 05-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care how much more it cost.. my Indy car can beat your Geo Metro!

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-21-2003, 11:20 PM

Dam that is a sweet looking CL - best I've seen yet.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:32 AM

Holy crap that thing is riced out. How can you do such a thing to such a beaufiful car???

Btw... this is not RedRok8... its his buddy who owns a very classy Audi.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 05-22-2003, 04:09 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I'll admit when I got into the G and started to get used to her I did think she was lacking in the power dept. However I am accustomed to the S2000 which from what I have heard is a touch slower then the G35c. I look at it this way though. The S2000 may be slower but it feels faster. The car has more of a sports car feel to it. The G is A lot more Comfortable and Quieter. What I'm getting at is it may be a mental thing. Sort of like a speed placebo effect. Guess thats what all those riced out civics are going for. Loud = Fast right!! I dunno but if you ask me the G is plenty fast. Guess it's probably just a frame of reference thing or something.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:40 PM

I think it has to do with having a high peak torque v. having a smooth torque curve. A BMW 330i doesn't feel as fast as the G35, but it is.. it only has 214lb-ft of torque, but 90% of that torque is available from 1500rpm through 6000 rpm. The G35 has more torque, and the torque curve is reasonably smooth, but not as flat as the bimmer I6. So, while there's not a point on the torque curve where it can pin you in the seat as hard, there's a higher average acceleration at any given point. The S2000, on the other hand, makes it's torque at a really high rpm. So it's probably just a touch slow coming off the line, and really pins you to your seat as long as you keep the engine screaming.

Plus, the G35 is very smooth and quiet at high speeds, and doesn't feel like it's going as fast. I know I've hit triple digits on accident a couple times, and the only clue was the speedometer.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-22-2003, 06:41 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get this discussion. The fact is we have all read the numerous reviews and know that this is a 14 something second (in the quarter mile) car. For a stock production car this is pretty fast. Cars running less than 14's are rare stock (M5's, Z06,ext.). So stick with the facts, not "feelings."

For my 2 cents, I was previously driving a BMW 540 and never thought I'd be happy without a V8 again - but the G35's power feels good to me and its quarter mile times support my feelings.

If you want fast, spend the $50K+ for a Z06 and you won't be asking yourself this question, or at least, not until you get used to the feel of the Z06 also.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:41 PM

You are right to a point. The 323 BMw's are a split second faster 0-60, but the G takes the quarter mile . This is per most of the major car magazines.

Old 07-17-2003, 04:07 PM

gsg, you make good points. Coming out of a gs400 I, too, felt a power twinge, or loss of same. But it has as much to do with "torque" as it does with 0-60, quarter mile, and the sound of the engine/exhaust.

As you know, torque in the G is down from a V8, which is the twisting power of an engine and the "neck-snapping" felt in the body. Again, this part is not just raw horsepower numbers or times at the end of the quarter mile.

Finally, there are some quicker cars out there and not necessarily just M5s or Z06s. Recall that a G Coupe, 6MT weighs about 3450 lbs.. That's a lot of weight (not as much as your 540 or my GS400). A couple hundred more pounds of weight can negate 20 or more horsepower.

Thus, when you consider the S2000 Honda or even the new, RX8 (which may be about 400 lbs. lighter than the G Coupe), it could be a whole different story as to who IS quicker and who FEELS quicker. Not to mention who IS more nimble in the twisties, altho the G's, both sedan and coupe, acquit themselves very well in that regard.

Just some thoughts that basically agree with yours. Drive on!

BONDg35c

Old 07-18-2003, 10:34 AM

What does the Battery disconnect do for the power of the car?

Old 07-18-2003, 04:56 PM

ah, a newbie. Welcome.

There are several threads on this topic both here and on FreshAlloy. It has to do with resetting the ECU, which adapts to your driving style. Do a search if you want to read more.

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Old 07-19-2003, 12:53 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words. Too bad the computer cut me off!! Not bad for a automatic 5 speed!! would you say this is slow???

75938-DSC00366.JPG

Old 07-21-2003, 10:30 AM

Just a few thoughts on this topic:

- I owned a '95 BMW 325is before my G35C 6MT and test drove a new 330ci before deciding to buy the G. The 330 has more low end torque than either the 325is or the G. So from a stop or a slow speed the 330 does give you a harder shove in the back than the G will when both cars are simply gunned without wheelspin. But the 330 runs out of steam at around the same time the G starts to really build it, so the G should get you to 60 faster and lead from there. I believe the magazines generally have the G35C at least a couple of tenths ahead to 60.

- It's the oddest thing, but windows/sunroof open vs closed on the G radically changes the perception of speed. Closed up, 80 feels like 60 and acceleration likewise feels much less vivid, while it's probably actually faster due to less aerodynamic drag. Open, the sensation of speed and acceleration is much more visceral, and the car feels really fast. Needless to say, I drive the car open whenever it's practical to do so, which also enables me to better hear the exhaust music which I think I will never get tired of.

-This engine, like most, is more powerful in cooler weather. As summer has kicked in here in NYC I've noticed a little less power on hot days.

- I think there's a psychological component operating too. When you're "looking for", or testing the acceleration of a car, especially if it's surprised you favorably in the past, I think there's a certain tendency to anticipate the effect, which can lead to an unrealisitic level of expectation. I've experienced this in all cars I've owned, and have pretty much decided that the difference is more in the brain than the car.

For example, when I first test drove a G35C 6MT I was pretty well blown away by the power. I hadn't expected it to feel so much faster than my BMW. When I later drove the same car again, I was all "primed" and looking forward to the same rush I felt the first time, and was disappointed that I didn't. I'll bet it performed the same in both cases, but the first time it was unexpected so it took me by surprise, and the second time I was all keyed up with anticipation so it was a letdown.

So try not to think too much about it, and the next time you find yourself stomping on the throttle in the upper rev range in cool-ish weather, I think you'll find a huge grin breaking out all over your face. Just remember to shift though, because that gear will get used up real quick... : )

Old 07-22-2003, 07:09 PM

Kinda Slow...

I used to drive an LT1 Corvette, and it was quite different.
In the Corvette speed was effortless - you were constatntly finding yourself breaking all speed limits without intending to. In second gear...

By contrast, in my 6MT it's a real effort. You have to conciously wind the engine out, and shift, shift, shift...Fifth gear at 30 MPH/50Km/h where in the Corvette I'd still be in second.

It comes down to the power band - the LT1 had lots down low (1200 RPM+), whereas the 3.5V6 only gets perky after 4000 RPM. I've heard that the S2000 is similarly sluggish (although claimed faster 0-60) at low revs.

But who drives around town with their eninge in the 4-6K range all day? Nobody (over 18years old). Result is that the G35 is allways driven out of the power band, while the LT1 was always IN the power band.

That's why IMHO the G35 FEELS slow.

Every once in a while, when I'm feeling pretty smug about my G35, I have to remind myself that even a garden-variety Corvette WEIGHS LESS, and sports a more powerfull V8. (humble sigh)

Oh well, at least I don't have to ever again deal with a GM dealership YAY!

Cheers
--Maarten

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think the G35 is slow