G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone else think the G35 is slow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone else think the G35 is slow

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

By contrast, in my 6MT it's a real effort. You have to conciously wind the engine out, and shift, shift, shift...Fifth gear at 30 MPH/50Km/h where in the Corvette I'd still be in second.

<hr></blockquote>I'm sorry but if it takes you five gears to reach 30mph then you need to go back to driver's ed and learn how to drive a stick.

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX
2003.5 Automatic Sedan, Desert Platinum/Willow, Premium, Nav, Tint

Old 07-23-2003, 01:50 AM

i dont know wtf you guys are talkign about,I just got my G 2 days ago put a 100 miles on it and its a crazy car compared to my bmw 330ci 2002 this car is crazy oh yah its a 6 speed and i love the clutch system. You push the clutch in all the way rpm drops, you push it in just past friction point the rpm stays a bit and waits for next gear so it doesnt jerk.

If guys havent figured this [censored] out yet, then drive a bit more. I cant believe you say this car has no power. Im not even at 1200 miles yet and I'm flying at 2500 - 3000 rpm. Maybe its because I got a model that is the last one for 2003 since 04 is the next order so they could have changed some small stuff but whatever. No power in this car? yah right learn how to drive BioTch

Quick Robin... TO THE BATMOBILE.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:57 AM
Running for his life!!

It's just an opinion.. It's so hard to rant on someone on this bb cause there's a good chance we might meet at a 35 meet. I guess since your last car was a 330, I can see your point.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 07-23-2003, 11:08 AM

>I'm sorry but if it takes you five gears to reach 30mph then you
> need to go back to driver's ed and learn how to drive a stick.

Don't mess with me sonny, I've been driving sticks since you were no more than a twinkle in your dad's eye and a six-pack in his trunk.

WTF would you know anyways; you drive a cripple-shift...

It doesn't *take* five gears, but when cruising down the street, *not* looking for some other high-school kid to impress, fifth gear gives ~1700 RPM at 30 MPH - which is comfortable, thank yew very much.

Old 07-23-2003, 11:40 AM

By contrast, in my 6MT it's a real effort. You have to conciously wind the engine out, and shift, shift, shift...Fifth gear at 30 MPH/50Km/h where in the Corvette I'd still be in second.

<hr></blockquote>

What??? 5th gear at 30 MPH?? Did you mistype this? According to Car & Driver magazine, in the G35C 6MT, 5th gear produces 21.7 MPH per 1K RPMs. That would work out to about 1400 RPMs at 30 MPH, or roughly 700 RPMs above idle, where there is VERY little torque on all but the most powerful, low-end biased pushrod V8s .

Since even *1st* gear doesn't hit redline until 38 MPH in the G, WTF are you doing in 5th?? 2nd will get you to 62 and third will get you to 88, so for any street legal performance driving you'll never get anywhere NEAR 5th.

This kind of gearing/torque relationship is commonplace in most European and Japanese performance cars like Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs, Mercedes, 350Zs, Supras etc. Big low-end-torquey American V8s are much more the exception than the rule in the larger sports/performance car market.

I have to imagine that either you mistyped the numbers or you have a whole lot to learn about driving fine sports cars without huge American V8s

Old 07-23-2003, 02:11 PM

Don't mess with me sonny, I've been driving sticks since you were no more than a twinkle in your dad's eye and a six-pack in his trunk.

<hr></blockquote>Well that figures, since you apparently drive like one of those blue-hairs who are so slow they pose a danger to those around them, no wonder you're in 5th gear at 30mph. But don't assume everybody else on this board is some high-school punk, gramps.

It doesn't *take* five gears, but when cruising down the street, *not* looking for some other high-school kid to impress, fifth gear gives ~1700 RPM at 30 MPH - which is comfortable, thank yew very much.

<hr></blockquote>If you're going to put the car in 5th gear at 30mph you have no business complaining about lack of acceleration, you shouldn't be in 5th gear at that speed, you should be in 3rd or 4th.

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX
2003.5 Automatic Sedan, Desert Platinum/Willow, Premium, Nav, Tint

Old 07-23-2003, 04:21 PM

I didn't even think it was possible to cruise 30 on 5th gear... Hmm.... I thought it was a type and he ment 60 since the 6 is above the 3, but I don't think so according to his reply [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Has anyone else tried 30mph in 5th gear yet? Not that I don't belive you but my gawd your RPM's would be so low I'm suprised your car wouldn't stall... Hmm....

G35 Mafia Member # 01

Old 07-23-2003, 06:20 PM

ive tried 45 and thats like 2000 rpm, 30 it wouldnt even pull right'?

Quick Robin... TO THE BATMOBILE.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:39 PM

If I need sh*t from you sonny, I'll squeeze yr. head. Just try me and my "blue hair"...

I know numbers are difficult since you haven't learned how to go past 12 w/o removing yr. shoes but here goes...

Most manual gearboxes run fourth as "direct". This applies to four and five-speeds; three speeds ("three in the tree") had direct in third.
"Direct" is where there is no change in drive ratio; input speed and output speed are the same.

Are you with me so far? OK, I'll wait.

Now on a five-speed, fifth gear has a taller ratio; generally around 0.8:1. Same for a 4-speed or 3-speed with "overdrive".
Same also for yr. 5-speed cripple-shift.

When Infiniti put a 6-speed in the 6MT, did they put the new gear above fifth? Technically no, they stuck it in between second and fifth.
Meaning that on the 6MT, *fifth* is direct, and sixth is 0.79:1.
So, there are four gears where on a regular five-speed you would have three.
They didn't make first gear and second gear lower, since that would make for an extra shift between 0-60, which would kill the specs. So they crammed it "between" second and fifth.

The result is that where in any other car you would cruise in fourth, the equivalent is fifth in the G35.

So, next time you are out in yr. cripple-shift, doing 30-35 MPH (OK, I should have said "in a 30 zone"), on a straight, flat road with nobody else around, see what gear your computer put the 5AT in. (Do you even know how to tell?) - My bet is that it will be fourth, which is the same as fifth in the 6MT.

I'm not talking about being on the track, of course.
But -since you asked so politely- for a street car with an engine like this which revs to 6500, I would have preferred to see the extra gear at the top end; it would make for easier street driveng, give better highway mileage, and (maybe) a faster top-end.

>If you're going to put the car in 5th gear at 30mph you have
>no business complaining about lack of acceleration

Exactly where did I "complain" - I was explaining the apparent "feel" of the car...

>you shouldn't be in 5th gear at that speed
>you should be in 3rd or 4th

Again, how the f*ck would you know? Watch the behaviour of yr. own car - if it's not too complex for your simple mind.

>since you apparently drive like one of those blue-hairs
>who are so slow they pose a danger to those around them

How would you know how fast I drive?
I have my track license, and get my need for speed taken care of on weekends that way...

>don't assume everybody else on this board is some
>high-school punk

Just ones named Jeff

>gramps

Well, since you are in high-school, that would make me about 33...a bit off, but not much

--Maarten

Old 07-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Someone just got spanked!

Old 07-27-2003, 03:30 AM

veema01... you have issues dude.

I agree with the people giving you a hard time... "By contrast, in my 6MT it's a real effort. You have to conciously wind the engine out, and shift, shift, shift...Fifth gear at 30 MPH/50Km/h where in the Corvette I'd still be in second."

Just admit you wrote somthing stupid, and move on. Rev the biatch out and have some fun.

Banatoman

Old 07-29-2003, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn 7.4 liters thats like a [censored] school bus

<hr></blockquote>

LOL - I had one of those 'school bus' motors in my last 'vette, a 1970 Stingray. It was mildly modified with a nice cam, headers, port work on the heads, 10.5 compression, larger valves, intake, carb, etc. It was a torque MONSTER - the dyno chart was hilarious - about as flat as Kansas. It produced about 400 lbs. of torque at 2,000 RPM's, and it peaked at 450 lbs. at 4,000 RPM's, and dropped back down to 350-400 lbs. by redline. So pretty much just off idle, you had more torque than you knew what to do with. What was nice about that motor was that it was ALWAYS in its power band. With the cam and intake it had, just as the torque started peaking and then dropping off, the HP continued to increase, so you always had tons of power in any gear and at any RPM. You only downshifted if you wanted to hear the engine roar more. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] And roar it did - Sometimes I think the intake roar was louder than the exhaust!

Long live the big block! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Anyway, back on topic: The G35 I think is deceptive in that it doesn't feel as fast as it really is. Part of that is the smoothness of the engine and powertrain. In fact, the engine seems to actually get smoother above 4,000 RPM's and at full throttle than it is below that and at partial throttle. It also seems to get quieter too, which is really weird. The exhaust normally has this nice loud howl at part throttle below 4,000 RPM's, but at full throttle and above 4,000 RPM's it seems to get quieter. There's just a hint of V-6 intake growl, but not much. My old car's V-6 sounded much better than this motor at WOT (Ford Duratec 2.5L V-6). I mention all this because sound has a big part in your perception as to how fast you're accelerating. Also, the VQ motor has a very linear power curve, and isn't very 'peaky' at all. It's sweet spot seems to be around 4,000 to 4,500 RPM's, without much additional pull to redline. The power doesn't drop off past there, but it doesn't seem to increase anymore either. Having this broad linear power band is a good thing, but again it deceives you when estimating how fast you're accelerating because there's no real kick to the car at a certain RPM.

I would really like an intake that you can actually hear at WOT (the stock intake system is way to quiet, IMO), and an exhaust that gets louder as you go to WOT, not softer. These are all issues that I'm sure can be easily fixed with aftermarket bits in the near future.

And yes, the G35 feels slow to me. Only when compared to my Z06 though... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 07-29-2003, 05:46 PM

isn't it a good thing to have a smoother ride, rather than feel it? After all this is a luxury car also... as long as it is fast, the feeling doesn't matter to me hehehe