G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Indecision; G vs. Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2003 | 03:09 AM
Re: Indecision; G vs. Z

To me the Nissan Z should have been a lot cheaper.

If you look at the top models for the G and the Z they are about the same price. Now, if you look at the options for those two models, you get so much for with the G.

Not only do you get Brembo brakes standard, you get a softer suspension (still stiff), LSD, Leather, Heated Seats, better center console, better looking NAV screen, etc.

The Z is faster, but not by a lot. Since your getting married, I would get the G. If you were single, I would recommend the Z becuase IMHO, the Z looks a lot sleeker and exciting.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2003 | 07:24 AM

This is pretty funny stuff.

A better looking console?
(fake painted plastic)

A better looking NAV screen?
(b/c it pops up?)

Heated seats (see 350Z Touring 6MT)

I'll say it again. These cars are made for different people.
Obviously if your definition of "better" is the number of buttons one has one the dash - then the G is certainly better.

However, for those of us who wanted a true sportscar. The "extras" of the G mean nothing.

Firstly, the Zs styling interior and out is much stronger. Makes a more cohesive statement of its design.

The seating position - You sit IN a Z..low slung - while you ride on *top* opf a G. Test drive both you'll see what I mean.

The center console - while not painted silver is still nice - a lot nicer than my 97 prelude's.

The climate control controls are an exercise is elegance and design simplicity. The fact that they integrate with the 3 dash pod "circles" is a another nod to the stylists.

The multifunction computer that besides the basics of temp and time - adds a stopwatch, tire pressure monitors (saved my *** twice already!), programmable shift light, digital speedometer and more.

I'm sure that stuff means nothing to you guys.

Then theres the underbody - do me a favor and put both cars under a lift and tell me what you see.

Lastly there's that extra guy riding around with you. 200 lbs is a significant difference.

I'm not knocking the G - hardly! I think its a great car. However, I think its apparant value lies in the fact that its built around compromises. However, if you want a hard edged sports car (and as such have no need for 2 extra seats or 200 extra pounds) there's no way you would get a G over a Z. If you only can have one car - or care more about sunroofs and dash buttons than carbon fiber driveshafts and the fact that your car will join the ranks of 911s and corvettes as the de riguer choice of a ton of privateer racing teams out there - the choice is clear.

That said - I stilll think you should get the G. You'll probably perceive a greater value for yoru dollar.

Old 05-30-2003 | 02:55 AM

I dunno if the pricing on the Z leveled out yet... when I walked into a nissan dealership to purchase a Z... I couldn't find a single one for under $37g's. Yes... that is $37,000. The dealership had tacked on every dealer installable option they could fit on... and hiked the price up a few grand. 3 Nissan dealers had the same thing going on. These cars were not track models either!
When I walked into an Infiniti deal, the price was exactly as the website had said. No more... no less. I bought the Infiniti, and my insurance has gone down too.

Old 05-30-2003 | 10:35 PM

dailycurtis I wan't going to say anything but you forced me:
First of all, if you want to buy a car for just the name and prestige than you bought the wrong car buddy! You would have ended up better in either a Benz or Bimmer!

secondly, you said your girl and any other girl looks at the Z's and say hey it's only a Nissan, but I hate to bust your bubble but your G35 is also a Nissan!(in japan there is no "Infiniti", no Lexus and no Acura)!

now as for the original poster it sounds to me the better value for you would be the G since it comes with all the nice goodies and extras than the Z (brembos and stuff).
Also, take into account that you are married, and I'm pretty sure your wife would enjoy the luxury of the G. Of course you would probably be better with the Z for performance, but it all depends what's more important for you. I like both cars so I'd say it's a win/win situation for you in the end! =)
good luck!

Old 06-01-2003 | 09:53 AM

I think the biggest differance between the car's beyond the obvious is how they ride and drive in comparision. If, like me you enjoy a car that lets you walk it to it's performance limit the easiest. The Z does this better. I found that extra stiffness in the Z's suspension, shorter wheelbase, and lighter weight to be the perfect receipe for "go fast". What I'm talking about is the same thing Road&Track talked about when they did the 350Z, M3, and Corvette, and Carrera(911) comparision. The jest of the article notes that while the other car's technically post much better accelleration times, the Z's extreame ability to be pushed to it's limit's so easily, let's you get to those limit's readily, actually beating a couple of those car's times around a race track. It is in that light that I felt the Z is better than the G35 coupe. And yes of course I've driven both car's. The only reason I don't drive the Z is because I could not overcome the lack of a rear seat,................nor convince my wife to overlook it either. But that's also my I'm working with nissan consumer affairs to get a parts list to convert my sedan to the Z's limited slip.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
clear corners