G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic oil

I changed my oil and filter today to mobile 1, I was able to unscrew the filter by just removing 3 screws, I put in 5 quarts after completely draining the old oil and let me tell you it improves the tone of the engine and the smoothness of the idle specially shifting, its a lot smoother, 6K miles and no grinding or shifting problems..

Old 05-23-2003, 08:21 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Synthetic oil

How did changing the engine oil effect shifting in the tranny? Or did you change out the tranny fluid too? I've heard that really helps with the notchiness of the M/T.
I use synthetics too. I think it's a good investment.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-23-2003, 01:32 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Hey guys, I switched to Mobile 1 at 1500 miles, now i have 1700 and the car is alot smoother at shifting, but i think thats because its broken in more, as far as the engine smoothness, i have not noticed a "seat of the pants" difference.
Im not smacking your comments because you have had more experience in your G that I do (you have 4K more miles than me)

Mobile 1 synth. 5qt bottle: $18.88 at Walmart
Nissan oil filter w/ brass ring: $5.75 + 80cents at your dealer if you buy 3 or more (ask for the discount- otherwise its $8 per filter).

My dealership charges $60 for a Mobile1 oil change. So I'll be saving $30 per oil change by buying my own parts and having someone else do the labor+disposal (either the dealer or any oil change place).

<font color=green>-Leblau Timmaw</font color=green>

Old 05-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to a higher performance mineral-based oil and thought I noticed the same differences. I'm a believer in the superiority of synthetics, but if the manual says "we recommend mineral-based oil," then that's what I'm using. I'm glad someone's trying synthetic though.

I'm more interested in transmission fluid right now. I'd like to upgrade that to the high end stuff (especially if I'm going to keep running quarter mile times on it), but once again I'm finding warnings that say "do not using anything but Nissan barglegloop123 automatic transmission fluid or you'll make Baby Jesus cry." Anyone swapped it out anyway?

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 05-23-2003, 04:30 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Screw the manual!
my dealership uses synthetic blend for their $30 oil change, and Mobile1 synthetic for their $60 oil change. And they said nothing about "must use mineral based oils"

Keep in mind that this is coming from a very large dealership

Oil is oil, if Nissan didnt want you using synthetics in your engine and transmission, then the manual would have specifically said "DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OILS"

Think about it....All high-performance cars use Synthetic....so why not?
Synthetic is not recommended if you have over 80,000 miles on your engine. Thats because of the goop that compiles over time might be sealing some ole cracks in the pan, and once you put synthetic then it might leak through these cracks.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>

Old 05-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not necessarily going to disagree with you, Rambo, but the G35 Sedan manual specifically says "mineral-based or synthetic" whereas the G35 Coupe manual only says "mineral-based." I've also read that the Coupe has port polishing whereas the Sedan doesn't, which might explain why different rules apply (not that I fully understand the dynamics involved).

It's too bad it's going to take such a long time to find out by trial and error whether it makes a difference. It'd be nice if Infiniti were more up front about why the manuals say different things.

As for implied approval by the dealership... well, my dealership didn't even know that you could order the coupe without the aluminum trim console. I suspect they really don't care as much as we do.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by JDMan on 05/23/03 01:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-23-2003, 06:10 PM

I don't know much about mineral or synthetic oils, but a guy I know from work told me that you don't want to use synthetic oil until after 10K miles. He said that the synthetic oil lubricates too good and the rings will never get fully seated. If you use mineral oil for the first 10K, the rings are allowed to wear some. He said that you'll have less power and poorer gas milage if synthetic is used from the beginning. Has anyone else ever heard this theory?

G35 Coupe/Silver/Graphite/6MT/Prem.Pkg./BSM - late May delivery.

Doug.

Old 05-23-2003, 06:39 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read that the rings and valves do all their seating and waring in, in the first 1k miles, after that synthetics are ok to use.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-24-2003, 04:18 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah thats what i heard too. Again, if they didnt want you to use synthetics, then the manual AND service manual would have specifically said it.
Note: Vettes come with Mobile 1 from the factory

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>

Old 05-25-2003, 10:40 PM

I used Mobil1 exclusively in my Altima 3.5 SE after the break-in period. Being the **** retentive Econ-major that I am, I tracked my fuel mileage during break-in through the switch to Mobil1. My fuel economy improved slightly immediately after break-in (after the first oil change, when I was still running traditional motor oil), but after switching to Mobil1 (oil change number two), I got a full 2.5 MPG better.

All of my driving is fairly consistent, so I have confidence in the numbers.

I plan on going to Mobil1 at the first oil change on my coupe and carrying out the same analysis.

Also, I believe that that old line about the rings having to seat harks back to the days before computer controlled manufacturing and the QA tolerances that they have today. All 'Vettes and AMG Mercedes come with Mobil1 already in the sump.

Ryan

Old 05-26-2003, 08:54 AM

2.5 MPG is about right on the money..I tracked my mpg and it did improved after switching to mobile one..

Old 05-27-2003, 10:55 AM

Ryan,

Engines for AMG and Corvette are broken in as part of the assembly process. While it is true that moden machinery and tolerances allows engine to break in much faster, but the fact remains that it is still necessary for rings to break in properly. I would think 3K or so miles should be enough to get everything seated properly.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:43 PM

So, I have two grand on my coupe right now and I'm about to head over to Infiniti of Baton Rouge to have the "break-in" oil changed....I should stick with mineral based until the regular service interval?

Ryan

Old 05-27-2003, 12:51 PM

Personally, I would probably wait until at least 3K or 4K miles before switching to syntheic simply because you won't hurt anything by waiting a bit longer. OTOH, you could ends up with an oil-burner by switching too early.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:28 PM

Hey TX, I don't mean to doubt your word, but maybe AMG breaks in their engine on assembly, but I've been to Corvette's Bowling Green plant twice. I never saw nor heard that they break in their engines prior to putting it in the car. And they've been using Mobil 1 on assembly from about 1992 model year.

Corvette Owners: anyone know if they break in engines thus preventing premature wear with Mobil 1 installed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil