G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Z2G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps performance-wise, you can compare the two. but as far as market competition, it's apples to oranges. there are A LOT of cars that can match up or beat our coupes, but WHO CARES? most ppl didn't buy a g35 coupe because of performance alone. as far as looks and luxury, the new eclipse isn't even in the same ballpark...planet....galaxy. it's just plain fugly and looks really cheap. can anyone say hyundai tiburon? actually, i think i'd rather drive a scion tc or tiburon!!!

i just don't see the point of making comparisons with different cars that aren't even in the same class....but that's just me. it's almost like trying to argue which team is better....'85 chicago bears or 90's chicago bulls.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that THING is mad fugly yo!

front = grand am or something
rear = TT coupe

why do the eclipses keep getting uglier and uglier??

Old 05-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Competition??? Straight line speed isn't everything...if that is what you were looking for you should have gone for the GTO (it is ugly too).

Besides...no matter how fast it is, it is still an Eclipse.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM
2 completely different classes of car, my friends.

There is a lot more to a car than stats on HP, TQ, curb weights, and 1/4 times. If not, we'd be driving SRT-4's or Civics, Lancers, or Impreza's with 15K motors.

Ours is a "luxury sport coupe" not at all comparable to the Mitsu Eclipse.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Except for the whole FWD thing, at least it comes with a subwoofer. I had a 99 clipse and I hated what they did in 2000 I think this is a step back in the right direction for mitsubishi. The only problem I ever had was a dead o2 sensor in 7 years I had it. I also think this will be competing more directly with the new pontiac coupe (c6? 3.9L). I gave the GTO some serious thought before deciding on the G that car could get me into soo much trouble.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by ashadiow
You sound like a whiny M3 owner when he realizes that he paid more for a car that is 10% better. The new eclipse runs numbers (in a straight line) that are VERY similar to our cars. I will look up the rest of the stats in a few.
Actually, you got me all wrong. I know Neon SR-Ts, SIis, and EVO-8s are all less expensive, but faster cars. However, they are NOT competition for the G35, which is a entry-level luxury car. You actually think this car has the performance and luxury of a G35 Coupe? Hell, check out the new Tiburon when they switch to RWD. Is that competition too? These car companies put more emphasis on performance rather than luxury much like the new Eclipse. Competition is more than just performance. You have to add in price, features, and nameplate as well. Of course I'm speaking from business point of view, but the enthusiast in me says any car that tries me is competition It has good numbers, but with FWD and 3500+ lbs, it will be a short race when curves come up. They are good numbers, the something isn't right. It may be underrated or geared really aggressively.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I owned a '97 GSX modded to about 315HP (16G turbo, IC pipes, HKS-EVC, exhaust, intake, etc., etc....) and that thing was a local legend (big thanks to the AWD!). Now that the EVO is sold on US soil and the Eclipse is forced to carve it's own niche, it looks like Mitsu is finding it's way with the car possibly by taking a page from the past. These specs sound a lot like the JDM FTO. 6-cylinder... ...FF... ...2-door coupe...

I hate most of the styling in those pics. The front grill... ...UHGG! WTF is Mitsubishi thinking. Just because it resembles the family doesn't mean it works. Big, ugly noses are genetic too, you know. And the rump not only looks full of mercury, but it also looks like a blatant rip from the Mercury Cougar. ><

Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 PM
That thing is ugly! Looks like a mix between the Audi mini car and a Mercury Cougar with less HP than ours and FWD? cumon, only nice thing about it is its driver side dash. RX

Old 05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
They need to go back to their olf designs cause that thing in disgusting. Mitsubishi is going to go bankrupt with that thing they call a car.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:31 PM
The only thing wrong with that car is the front bumper. Swapping that piece out for something aftermarket will change the look completely and get rid of that mitsubishi lineup look. This car looks way better than he 2000-2005 generation eclipse anyway.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I personally like it, if it comes out in AWD, it'll be similar to the last GSX..I personally don't like the huge engine they have up front. Mitsu should stick to the 2.0 turbo, however, I bet this thing weighs a lot more than the old DSMs. It'll be interesting to see the evolution of the new eclipse. If the AWD version comes out like speculated, it'll be a good performer and most likely my sister's next car.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
IMHO: I don't like it...Doesn't matter how fast it goes....It's a Mitsubishi 'nuff said...

Old 05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I think it weighs 3500+ lbs without AWD, which could add another 200 lbs.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Z2G
perhaps performance-wise, you can compare the two. but as far as market competition, it's apples to oranges. there are A LOT of cars that can match up or beat our coupes, but WHO CARES? most ppl didn't buy a g35 coupe because of performance alone. as far as looks and luxury, the new eclipse isn't even in the same ballpark...planet....galaxy. it's just plain fugly and looks really cheap. can anyone say hyundai tiburon? actually, i think i'd rather drive a scion tc or tiburon!!!

i just don't see the point of making comparisons with different cars that aren't even in the same class....but that's just me. it's almost like trying to argue which team is better....'85 chicago bears or 90's chicago bulls.
Then why do we bother comparing the M3s to our cars? The cost 20000 dollars more. Thats hardly in the same class if you ask me.

The guy is just trying to share some info and all you people jump on him like you are too good to even read the article.

jesus christ.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
With the EVO finally here, Mitsu. will never stick the turbo4 into the Eclipse again. AWD might show up in an attempt to boost sales by making it more appealing to drivers up north.

Mitsubishi has been on the verge of bankruptcy for nearly 10 years straight, with new models and the stout EVO still showing up during that time. I think it's part of their business strategy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***