G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont get it... how is this the competition to the G...

more like to the Nissan's I would say than the Infi.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Then why do we bother comparing the M3s to our cars? The cost 20000 dollars more. Thats hardly in the same class if you ask me.
I completely agree with you. The comparison between the G and the M is completely inappropriate as they are in very different classes.

The people who compare the 2 on these boards are just fooling themselves into thinking that a "G with 10K in mods" is equivalant to an M.
No No No. The cars are in 2 different classes, with as much difference between the M and the G, if not more, than the G and the new Mitsu Eclipse

Last edited by aerisolphaln; 05-09-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Looks interesting

Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln
I completely agree with you. The comparison between the G and the M is completely inappropriate as they are in very different classes.

The people who compare the 2 on these boards are just fooling themselves into thinking that a "G with 10K in mods" is equivalant to an M.
No No No. The cars are in 2 different classes, with as much difference between the M and the G, if not more, than the G and the new Mitsu Eclipse
I agree to an extent. Without the 333 hp engine, what does the M3 offer that a fully loaded G35C doesn't? Remember,the M3 uses the shell and interior of a regular 330Ci. That's why many people compare the two, because the M3 is next in "GT" lineage. We all know what a true GT is, right? 330Ci~>G35C~>M3~.Maserati Coupe~>Astin Martin AMV8. Anyway, unless Mitsu packed a lot of luxury features in the Eclipse for 2006, you'll have to do without when compared to a G35c. Thus, the Eclipse is not a GT, but more like a sporty thingy. That's why it's being compared to the Mustang and 350z.

Last edited by Deang35c6; 05-09-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are trying hard, the shape of the body is good, but headlights and tailights killd it =(

Old 05-09-2005, 04:01 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
I agree to an extent. Without the 333 hp engine, what does the M3 offer that a fully loaded G35C doesn't? Remember,the M3 uses the shell and interior of a regular 330Ci. That's why many people compare the two, because the M3 is next in "GT" lineage. We all know what a true GT is, right? 330Ci~>G35C~>M3~.Maserati Coupe~>Astin Martin AMV8. Anyway, unless Mitsu packed a lot of luxury features in the Eclipse for 2006, you'll have to do without when compared to a G35c. Thus, the Eclipse is not a GT, but more like a sporty thingy. That's why it's being compared to the Mustang and 350z.
the argument everyody wants to make is that the eclipse and g35 is in a different class so we shoudlnt even bother comparing it...

the M3 and G35 is in a different class. It doesnt matter what it looks like or the lineage. The car is in a different class. It's a 60000 dollar car vs a 40000 dollar car.

How can you even compare that.

An eclipse with 35k worth of mods is going to spank any M3 or G35 back to wherever it came from.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I wasn't trying to start an old war (Mitsu vs Infin) all over again, I just really thought that the numbers were interesting. FWD doesn't kill a car. It does however, allow for less drivetrain loss, there fore getting more HP/TQ to the wheels. They could be following in the steps of the SRT-4 and quoting WHP instead of CHP. So anyways, some quotes from R&T:

"If there is an area where Mitsu's designers missed the mark, it's the front end, which bears a striking likeness to a Pontiac Sunfire--not a good thing."

"So how does it drive? Like a GT car..."

"The eclipse is for those who want a sports coupe, but don't want to put up with the harsh rides and boomy interiors of, say, the EVO and 350Z. It's for someone considering an Acura RSX, but who actually wants some power."

It is an interesting car, I'm not jumping ship on the G, but just thought, as auto enthusiasts you guys would be interested in hearing about another car that runs numbers similar to ours and has a completely loaded (every factory option) price as tested of $26,895. Or about $15,000 less than ours. I will be test driving one when they are around, but I get the feeling that the unbalanced handling will be a big turn off. at .93g on the skid pad our cars are a good as most vette's. But I see the new Eclipse as a good GT car. PLenty of power for a touring coupe and a HUGE step up from the last eclipses. Direct Competition? Only at the drag track, but competition none the less.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Never enough
But its UGLY!

Old 05-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
We all know what a true GT is, right? 330Ci~>G35C~>M3~.Maserati Coupe~>Astin Martin AMV8.
GT = Grand Touring (AKA big heavy sporty coupes).

as tested this car had the following std ammenities:

ABS, front-side-sidecurtain airbags, homelink system, traction control (same as VDC), air, cruise, tilt, 8 way power adjustable seats, auto climate control, power sunroof, heated leather seats, aluminum pedals, RF 650watt 9 speaker audio with sub (better than the bose system (the std radio is a 6 speaker 6disc indash CD changer(same as G))), steering wheel audio controls, 18" wheels.

Is there something that the G35 has that is not listed in this that makes it not a GT car? The only thing I am seeing as missing is the option for Navigation... which most G owners DO NOT HAVE... I think that the lineage of GT cars starts at Tiburon > Eclipse / Accord Coupe > G35 / 330Ci / CLK > M3 and then so on.

Last edited by ashadiow; 05-09-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by G352NV
But its UGLY!
I agree. Not that great looking. But to be fair, you didn't like the stock looks of the G either... That is why you modified (completely changed it's body) it right? I mean you did do that to make it look better right? I will beat you to it though, you do need to start with something better than this to get a really sexy car like your G for sure.

Last edited by ashadiow; 05-09-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Hmmm... where do you think they got the idea for this picture.....

can you say imitiation.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***-eclipse_desktop09_800.jpg  
Old 05-09-2005, 04:40 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Eclipse has a 61% front weight bias...that ALONE makes it a completely different class of car. A true GT should at least be RWD (possibly AWD) but FWD is completely unacceptable for a GT IMO. It is however a good mainstream coupe for the masses. Unfortunately, it has to be priced cheap or the Mustang is gonna stomp before it really begins.

There is more similarity between the M3 and G35 than there is between the G35 and the Eclipse. Besides engine, the M3 is a typical 3 series on roids. The Eclipse doesn't even have the same drivetrain.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The mitsu is in a different car class especially with front wheel drive. We're talking RSX and the like.
Why does everyone else keep bringing up the M3 on so many of these posts. It's also in a different class of car thatn the G. At $20k more it's a whole different ball game.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:40 PM
mrb
All this comparison competition booshiat on this site really makes me laugh. I asked for driving impression for the Evo/Sti and people started a Evo/Sti vs. G35 thread out of it not too long ago. All the videos of straight line performance and the discussions, haha. Dude, either of my bikes will do the 1/4 in 10.something seconds depending upon the launch. If you are really good, you could get my newer one under 10 seconds (I can't, I don't make a habit of doing sprints from a deadstop) and it's bone stock. Does that mean anything, hell no it doesn't! The 330/G35 are luxury coupes/sedans. They are meant for a nice ride with some performance. Either are not the end all or be all. Should we start comparing bikes vs. the G? How about a modded up Segway? Go cart? If you want to start a discussion about a new car, how about a discussion about that car without all the comparison booshiat?
G35 vs. same class car are appropriate like when people bring up the 330. Same thing goes for ex. a M vs. 5 series or whatever. Hell I'm sure you could mod a got damn domestic truck to where it would out accelerate a G35 in a straight line. If you have a speedzone in your city, you can do the dragster ride and do the whole I live my life a 1/4 mile of a time booshiat without even having to risk your license or your ride. "I can take X car from a deadstop", "I can beat it a car length from a rolling start"
Wow I am overfuggingwhelmed! Here is the spread

Dragracing --> Nascar -> Racing with turns involved. If you want to compare cars, then it's a helluvalot more than straight line acceleration unless your name is Meat.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
WRAH
you guys are forgetting that its 6 feet off the ground. The slightest twich its going to flip (or looks that way)

Also what do you expect for a '06 car. Times keep getting lower, HP keeps increasing. If we stay where we are, were going to be slower!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***