G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:17 PM
mrb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ashadiow
Not rear drive, but tell me what makes a luxury car... not.
A few things, most important, however, quality.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by ashadiow
GT = Grand Touring (AKA big heavy sporty coupes).

as tested this car had the following std ammenities:

ABS, front-side-sidecurtain airbags, homelink system, traction control (same as VDC), air, cruise, tilt, 8 way power adjustable seats, auto climate control, power sunroof, heated leather seats, aluminum pedals, RF 650watt 9 speaker audio with sub (better than the bose system (the std radio is a 6 speaker 6disc indash CD changer(same as G))), steering wheel audio controls, 18" wheels.

Is there something that the G35 has that is not listed in this that makes it not a GT car? The only thing I am seeing as missing is the option for Navigation... which most G owners DO NOT HAVE... I think that the lineage of GT cars starts at Tiburon > Eclipse / Accord Coupe > G35 / 330Ci / CLK > M3 and then so on.

How about xenons and heated mirrors, LSD? That's all I can think of, but at least Nav is an option, which it isn't in the Eclipse. Furthermore, I don't think you really know what a real GT is. I'm not talking Grand Am GT or Beretta GT. The term has been misused so often that it has brainwashed most Americans. There is a distinct difference between a sporty car and a sport car. Here is a definition of GT pulled from the internet..

"An automobile has seats for the driver and, almost without exception, for at least one passenger with a combination of high-performance, agile handling, long distance driving ability and possibly a luxury interior. Any car with these qualities could be considered to be a grand tourer but the traditional and most common body style is a two door coupe A coupe (or coupé) is a two or four-seater car with a fixed roof and two doors. The style is generally used for sportier models in a manufacturer's range. In the 19th century, a coupé was a carriage with two doors enclosing seating for two with an exposed area on the front for a driver.

In recent times it has become very common for a coupe's roof to slope down at the back in a shallow 'streamlined' fashion. This is sometimes called a 'fastback' design with either a two seat or a 2+2 seat arrangement. Example cars include the BMW 6-Series and the Aston Martin DB9. Grand tourers differ from sports cars in that they are usually larger, heavier and tend make less compromise in comfort for the sake of driving ability. For this reason they mostly have front-mounted engines that leave more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engines. They also tend to have softer suspension to provide good ride quality. However, grand tourers do have similarities with sports cars, such as the fact they mainly use rear or four wheel drive , and the term sports car may be used to describe a car with grand touring qualities. Very high-performance grand tourers, such as the Ferrari 575M Maranello may be considered to be supercars"

A true GT gives way to comfort, but not by much. I wouldn't consider an 3500 lb, FWD Eclipse with 8" wheel gaps "agile" or high-performance". .83 skidpad versus a .90 for the G35 says it all. Just because a car has a bunch of luxury features and two doors doesn't make it a GT and therefore not really competition for he G35 Coupe. The car should be compared to an Accord Coupe, or Tiburon, or even a Chevy Colbalt. These are sporty cars and not sport cars. So you would consider a Cadillac El Dorado a GT based on your definition (heavy, sporty, coupe).

Old 05-09-2005, 07:43 PM
gtr proto test driver
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
The car should be compared to an Accord Coupe, or Tiburon, or even a Chevy Colbalt.
makes alot of sense, that would also be in the group i put it in

Old 05-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you dont compare a 35-40k LUXURY SPORTS COUPE to an 20-25K econo-coupe...wtf it doesn't even make sense; its like comparing an M3 to an accord coupe or something...

Old 05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
WRAH
Really all I hope is that its safe. I'm sick of these manufacturers making cheap @ss cars like the dodge neon, throwing a blower in them, and selling them.

The neon not safe w/ a 112HP I4. Then they turbo it

Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by Ferrarimanic360
you dont compare a 35-40k LUXURY SPORTS COUPE to an 20-25K econo-coupe...wtf it doesn't even make sense; its like comparing an M3 to an accord coupe or something...
Yeah well my ferrari is better than your lawnmower!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
high-performance, agile handling, long distance driving ability and possibly a luxury interior.

I wouldn't consider an 3500 lb, FWD Eclipse with 8" wheel gaps "agile" or high-performance". .83 skidpad versus a .90 for the G35 says it all. Cadillac El Dorado a GT based on your definition (heavy, sporty, coupe).
OK, A quick response before I post the stats, the G35 is by no means a high performance car, not even close. Is it agile, yeah it puts up some pretty good numbers stock, but long distance driving ability... I just drove 3000 miles from the Bay Area to Northern Minnesota coverning many different terrains and elevations... and I'll say that the Eclipse GS that I drove out to california was a way better touring car, that being said it WAS a dog. This new eclipse compare very closely. One of your reasons for saying that the eclipse isn't a GT is that it weighs 3500 lbs... you better check the weight of the G. The car may look to have larger wheel gaps than ours, but the car rides lower and has a lower height. The skidpad result are what distinguish this car from ours. I agree that it is in a different class, I am just saying that the top of that class is getting damn close to ours.

Xenons are unconfirmed in the article, but the fog lamps are HIDs... heated mirrors it does have, and the LSD I assume is not available, but is only available as an option on our cars.

A GT car is not a sport car. A GT car is a sporty touring car. An eldorado ETC that has the 300hp and 295 lb ft V8 would run in a similar performance class as ours. By your definition, we do not own GT cars. Are you saying that we belong in the same class as a BMW 6 series? By your definition you need to be talking about a BMW 6 series, M3, SLK/SL/CLK ///AMG, and so on... in other words, the next step up. The eclipse is just the next step down. A good option for someone that can not afford a G coupe.

Hmmm Stats weren't formatted right. Attached is the text file.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Eclipse GT vs. G35 Coupe.txt (4.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ashadiow; 05-09-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ferrarimanic360
It is just like comparing a 50-55k M3 to a 35-40k G35. Same thing. Different direction.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by mrb
A few things, most important, however, quality.
The quality issue is important, it is why we did not wait for the new eclipse from the old eclipses because we wanted a better quality car... and with the squeaking brakes, window noice, and rattling interior I am still happier with the G.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by accordfreak
not my cup of tea. If i was to get a new car with FWD, i'd rather drive a scion tc or a solara
Acura TL for me...

Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 PM
look at that pos interior.
cmon now...its like comparing civic with VQ35DE engine in it and G
pointless.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
IMHO that thing is BUTT ugly. Sounds punchy though, look at the weight ratio, skidpad and the slolom. Sorry but I don't think it will hang in the twisties. In that same mag there is ad for a shoot out coming up in June on Speed Chan. for the GTO to run against the 05 Mustang, 05 BMW 330 and our beloved G. How can they even put our cars in the same class as a 400 HP Cavalier ???!!!

Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks hideous IMHO

Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by WRAH
Yeah well my ferrari is better than your lawnmower!
YAH WELL MY JOHN DEERE WILL RUN UR FERRARI OVER!!!!!!! , 0-60 in 4 days(NOW WHAT!!!)

Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
It looks like a ugly child of Audi TT and Scion Tc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Eclipse GT ***new competition***