G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

color problem... RED EXT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question color problem... RED EXT

Ok... looking to buy my first G35Coupe. I have a wish list in my head and I've been patiently hunting for the past 2 - 3 months for the right car at a great deal.

I found a private party sale... '04 G35 Coupe AT, 15k miles, fully loaded with all the options I want inc. NAV and spoiler... also Bembo brakes. He wants $26,900 FIRM for it. Great price, great car, I'm sold.

But then, I ask him what the exterior color is. The ad says silver and I want to know WHICH silver it is. Its at that point he is surprised and says the ad must be wrong because the car is RED exterior with BLACK interior. This whole time I've been hoping for a pearl or D. Graphite exterior... the only definate NO on my list was that blue from the 2003 (hate that color). I hadn't even thought of red b/c I haven't seen many for sale.

FIRST QUESTION: Are there more than one type of red for the 2004 model?

Here are my thoughts... feedback appreciated.:

1) While not nearly as bad as black on upkeep, it seems red would be next in line. After a couple of years, 99% the red cars I see around town look faded and funky. A silver or white car after a couple of years looks fine.

2) The black leather interior would seem to have the same problem. First couple of years it looks sharp... but dings and wear seem to stand out way more on black leather. Tan or graphite seems to hide stuff better. Also the black leather has GOT to get pretty dang hot in the sun.

3) RED = Cop magnet.

4) Red seems to make the car look cheap to me... like a suped-up Honda or something you'd see on Fast N Furious. Anybody else have that impression? The white or graphite on the other hand seem to come across more classy, while not losing much of the sportiness.

Obviously color is a personal preference and so much of this just comes down to what I like, but I'm hoping for some feedback from you veterans.

Anybody out there buy a red car and regret it or vice-versa?

PICTURES OF RED EXTERIORS APPRECIATED! (I've browsed and found a couple in the gallery, but I'd like to see more...)

Thanks!
Asher

Old 08-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Look at Tinman's. Very nice ride.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:59 PM
obviously Tinman is very sad that he got Red.

Anybody else have any input?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 03 Red Coupe used and no regrets about the color. My first choice was IP, but hey, you can't be that picky when looking for a used one... Red is awesome.. it's so rare. You'll see Black everywhere, same as IP and DG...

No problems with cops either.. all I get is looks..

Here's a picture of mine:

Old 08-05-2005, 06:18 PM
04 G35 at 15k fullyloaded for only less than $27000? that is even lower than dealor trade in price... wow...

Old 08-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I bought my red 6sp coupe last year. It had 6000 miles on it and I got it for $27500. I never looked back. Not my first choice, but after a while it grew on me. It doesn't hurt that you don't see too many on the road. So I am happy. Good luck with your choice.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Arrow

yeah but he says its a 04' AT, with brembos...

either At or MT it seems like a good deal... i got mine for 26500 fully loaded minus nav, w/ 12,300 miles. like 3 months ago.

GL

Last edited by blazinZ; 08-05-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
With a little upkeep you will be able to keep the red in good shape. Just make sure you know how to wash and care for it. Swirls and oxidation normally only happen to cars that are washed incorrectly or are abused by the elements for many years. Check the detailing section or autopia.org for tons of information on how to wash, polish, wax, you name it. It only looks cheap if you let it fade or get a ton of scratches and swirls. If it doesn't already get a clear bra. My G is black and yes, it is a lot of work to keep looking good, but it can be done.

Same applies to the interior. I've owned black leather in every car I've ever owned minus one and have never had it fade, crack, get stretched, or really in any way noticably deteriorate. Keep it clean, use some leather conditioner, and you'll be fine. As for the heat, if the car isn't tint it, get it tinted. Even a light tint can keep the black leather much cooler than no tint at all.

Last edited by Picus; 08-05-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
"04 G35 at 15k fullyloaded for only less than $27000? that is even lower than dealor trade in price... wow..."

Originally Posted by blazinZ
yeah but he says its a 04' AT, with brembos...
Yeah, ditto me on BOTH those comments.

The guys just upgraded to a new BMW of some sort and is just ready to get rid of the car. ... I asked him about the brakes and I guess he had the Brembos put on after he bought it. Weird, but ... ok. He offered to take it back to the dealer to have the originals put on. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

"Not my first choice, but after a while it grew on me. "

I'm just nervous about spending this kind of money when its NOT my first choice... but these pics DO look pretty nice.

Anybody know off-hand if there are more than one type of RED for the 2004?

Old 08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by izzy21
I bought my red 6sp coupe last year. It had 6000 miles on it and I got it for $27500.
Izzy, that is a great deal too! Did it come with any options or ?? Thats even lower mileage than the one I'm looking at.

Originally, I had planned on buying a high mileage (40k+) car b/c I hardly drive... but now that I've found this deal, I think I'm gonna go for it.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by JesusFreak123
I found a private party sale... '04 G35 Coupe AT, 15k miles, fully loaded with all the options I want inc. NAV and spoiler... also Bembo brakes.
It can't be an AT and have Brembo brakes. Just a heads-up.

FIRST QUESTION: Are there more than one type of red for the 2004 model?
No.

1) While not nearly as bad as black on upkeep, it seems red would be next in line. After a couple of years, 99% the red cars I see around town look faded and funky. A silver or white car after a couple of years looks fine.
Because 99% of owners don't garage their cars or wash them more than once a month, wax your car regularly to protect the paint and you'll be set. there's nothing like the shine of a red or a black car.
2) The black leather interior would seem to have the same problem. First couple of years it looks sharp... but dings and wear seem to stand out way more on black leather. Tan or graphite seems to hide stuff better. Also the black leather has GOT to get pretty dang hot in the sun.
One of my cars has tan leather and the other has black, both tinted. After 4 years, even though conditioned regularly, the tan leather shows dirt a HECK of a lot more, not to mention every scratch. And black seats do not get any hotter in the sun, if your car is tinted. Only the steering wheel and the shifter get hotter compared to the tan interior.

3) RED = Cop magnet.
Cop magnet, higher insurance, it all depends on how you drive. I have gotten more tickets when I had a silver car than in any other color car I've owned.

4) Red seems to make the car look cheap to me... like a suped-up Honda or something you'd see on Fast N Furious. Anybody else have that impression? The white or graphite on the other hand seem to come across more classy, while not losing much of the sportiness.
Red is rarer than white and much rarer than DG or silver. It all depends on if you want to be unique or be safe and merge with the crowd. I don't even have red myself, but after over a year on this forum, I happen to think that the hottest G on here is red... see for yourself and let us know what you decide!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I also love red. Availability dictates what I drive these days, but given a choice, I'd pick red every time.
Cop magnet or not, it's one beautiful ride.

Finiti is right, brembos only came (OEM) from the factory with the 6M/T. So if it's A/T and it has brembos, the brakes were fitted aftermarket.
C.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Finiti is right, brembos only came (OEM) from the factory with the 6M/T. So if it's A/T and it has brembos, the brakes were fitted aftermarket.
C.
Or the current owner has no idea, this is what the Brembos look like
http://infinitinews.com/multimedia/i...03g35coupe.jpg

Old 08-05-2005, 07:08 PM
I have red and I love it. I see a lot of Gs where I live and most of them are black or silver. So getting red will set you apart a bit from the crowd.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
OK so I know most people think the new Caddy's are ugly, and mostly I agree. But I wanted to link a thread which shows that 1) Red can look darn good (and certainly not cheap), and 2) It's not that hard to take care of even if you DO let it get in pretty bad shape.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....3&page=1&pp=12

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: color problem... RED EXT