G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Crawford cast plenum vs. Motordyne spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crawford cast plenum vs. Motordyne spacer

I’ve searched the forums and gotten good info on the Crawford cast plenum $350 and the Motordyne spacer $215 but was wondering which was better and/or gave more of a power increase. Guys who have bought Crawford seem happy with it and guys who have bought the spacer seem happy as well. It seems the spacer is more popular on this forum but is that because of the price or the performance?

I’ve read the spacer raises the existing top plenum up for more volume and is not detectable where the Crawford cast plenum uses a redesigned plenum
to gain more volume. With the Crawford do you re-install the plastic engine cover?

Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I wanna get one too cant decide which one

Old 08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
THE BATMOBILE
good question...........im wondering the same

Old 08-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
i havent installed mine yet but i went w/ the 1/2 spacer. i bought it a while ago, i did my research then and from what i can remember they were showing similar results maybe 1-3 hp differnce. so for the price as well. i started a group buy from Motordyne. got good deals for everyone that got one. but i ended up getting a new one from a member on here for 160 shipped. needless to say i could not turn that down.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I'd go with the Crawford Products ALL DAY LONG. It has been proven over and over that the Crawford Headers and Crawford Cats are the best (hands down) parts for our cars period.

Headers- 100% equal length primaries, 25" long, hand made, thick wall steel and powder coated. Best gains of any header available for our cars.

Crawford High Flow Cats - simply amazing, you can get them with a bung for a wideband gauge just by asking, they last forever and many have passed the sniffer test for carb certification with them. Gains are pretty much equivalent to test pipes and there is no rasp and they don't collapse like the RT's!

Crawford Plenum - has been around for several years and gone through several iterations of design, has been dyno proven time and time again, it presently is an aluminum casting with a black powdercoat that makes the engine bay look much better than having a heat trapping plastic shield in the way.

Doug Stewart is a pioneer in modifying our G's and Z's and he really knows what makes them work. He has a loyal following for his knowlegde of the VQ and I say support Crawford and you won't be sorry!

Old 08-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
both are good MODs

Spacer is cheaper and it works! also its easyer to go back to stock and if you get the 5/6" u can keep your engine cover on. although it does not increase peak hp as much but if you compair the curve between a stock and one with a spacer then you'll see what it really does.

Crawford Plenum is just swaping the whole plenum out.. but it costs more and gains should be around the same as a spacer.. you can only do so much to the intake alone anyways.. but i've never seen a dyno between crawford plenum and spacer or stock before.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:41 PM
The spacer is a good mod because it improves the distribution of the air/fuel mixture to the front cylinders, but it does nothing to correct the mismatch problem. The plenum top is slanted, so the rear cylinders receive more of the mixture than the fronts. The reason it is slopped is so it can fit under the hood of a "Z" along with the strut bar. The Crawford plenum corrects the mismatch problem because it equalizes the mixture distribution between the fronts and the rears. Go with the Crawford plenum.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 08-13-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Just installed my Crawford plenum today. Call I can say is wow. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway for a testdrive, I was all grins...

Old 08-14-2005, 02:47 AM
I have the Crawford cast plenum (pics on my home page) and the gains are there. You can't put the plastic cover back on, but the engine looks better without it.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:56 AM
Never enough
Heres my thoughts. I bought a spacer a few months back. Never used it so I sold it to my best friend. He also did the Injen exhaust at the same time. We took a ride in his car and both of us think the car feels slower, sounds better but slower. With exhaust and spacer your not going to see much of a HP gain. The best advice I could give anyone would be to save for headers, highflow cats, exhaust. OR start to save for FI. Ill never do bolt ons again. I feel they are a waste of $$.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G352NV
Heres my thoughts. I bought a spacer a few months back. Never used it so I sold it to my best friend. He also did the Injen exhaust at the same time. We took a ride in his car and both of us think the car feels slower, sounds better but slower. With exhaust and spacer your not going to see much of a HP gain. The best advice I could give anyone would be to save for headers, highflow cats, exhaust. OR start to save for FI. Ill never do bolt ons again. I feel they are a waste of $$.

So your saying spacers dont have much HP gain if not at all? I was thinking about getting one but if it really is going to end up as a waste of money, better not to buy it then?

Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 AM
I had the crawford cast plenum.. and honestly.. I didn't really feel a difference at all.. in speed and sound. So I ended up selling it. I previously had the kinetix plenum, and that provided more sound than the crawford did, but again yielded little gains for me. Maybe I was just expecting too much with all the "wow" comments, but take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the 1/2 inch spacer on mine and I love it. I have the Stillen CAI setup and I feel that the car has definite gains specially at WOT. How people can say that they don't feel a difference is beyond me. The install was a breeze it took about 35mins try doing that with any plenum replacement. If you have the coupe you cannot put the engine cover back on with the 1/2 spacer. The sizes of the spacers are 3/8, 1/4 and 1/2. Dyno from stock setup to 1/2 spacer resulted an 8-9hp gain. Best bang for the buck I spent on my car I got mine on GB for less than 200. Goodluck.

Attached Thumbnails Crawford cast plenum vs. Motordyne spacer-im000399.jpg   Crawford cast plenum vs. Motordyne spacer-im000400.jpg   Crawford cast plenum vs. Motordyne spacer-im000401.jpg  
Old 08-14-2005, 12:42 PM
THE BATMOBILE
stupid question- Can you get both??

Old 08-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
can you go FI with a 1/2 inch spacer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford cast plenum vs. Motordyne spacer