G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Launching the Gcoupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Launching the Gcoupe

I have the 05 Gcoupe 6MT. This is my very first manual car. I haven't really "launched" my car before. I was just curious to how people here launch their cars. A friend of mine has a modded STI, and a stage 2 clutch (wutever that means.. its hard as hell to push that clutch in) anyways, when he was explaining how to launch a car he was talking about "slipping" the clutch. According to him, you hold the clutch down and rev it to about 4k rpm, and then you basically pump the gas as you ease off the clutch and then floor it. He said that it may be different for the G coupe, but thats how subbie owners launch their cars. Another friend who drives a 03 M3, told me to just rev it up and drop the clutch. You hold the clutch down, rev to about 4k rpm and then floor the gas and at the same to release the clutch.
So this being my first manual car, I have no clue how to launch. So, you guys drive Gcoupes, how do you all launch? Are my friends speaking the truth or just a bunch of jibberish.. Help plzz

Old 08-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
your friends car is AWD (all wheel drive) so he natrually has better traction then you so dont even try dropping the clutch at 4k u wont move far and ur cars gona smell like burning metal (Bad).. also this is VERY bad for your tranny (even for your friend) think of it this way.. u tied one end of a LONG rope to urself and another end to a friend on a skateboard and you start running.. when the rope runs out what happens to you and ur friend? thats what your doing to ur engine and tranny x.x...

k try this.. (make sure u have VDC off) - btw im assuming you can drive pretty well.. if u needa rev pass 1k to get ur car moving then dont do this yet

1. rev the car up to around 1.5k-2k RPM
2. step on the clutch and put your car into 1st
3. release the clutch slowly WITHOUT changing the amount of pressure on your throttle
4. once the car starts to move (5mph) let off the clutch and increase pressure on your throttle at the same time
5. floor the ****

it'll be a slow launch but you'll get the idea.. and work with that releasing the clutch too fast will cause ur rear to spin.. if your not making enough power (right foot) your just gona bog...

Old 08-22-2005, 03:51 AM
National G Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6. and then sing "Vroom Vroom Vroom".

Oh wait, wrong car!

Old 08-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I usually launch at 2.5k - 2.7k. Minimal wheel slip during first. Once the wheel slip is about to stop, I usually just start increasing pressure to throttle. Once the slip is completely gone, I floor it.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the feedback, I will try it later today when I get a chance. Hopefully I can get it

Old 08-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jee_35
Thank you for the feedback, I will try it later today when I get a chance. Hopefully I can get it
Just watch out for cops, and do it on an empty road.

Depending on the RPM that you drop the clutch and the road surface, if you break the rears loose the back end might move to the side a little bit. Not much, but it can catch you off guard. Just stay into the throttle and it will straighten out.

Enjoy!!

Old 08-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UofMG35
Just watch out for cops, and do it on an empty road.

Depending on the RPM that you drop the clutch and the road surface, if you break the rears loose the back end might move to the side a little bit. Not much, but it can catch you off guard. Just stay into the throttle and it will straighten out.

Enjoy!!
i dont think that'll be too much of a problem when from a stop while hes going straight... o.o

Originally Posted by Jee_35
btw everything we've said should be done in 1-2seconds