G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My New G35... But Few Problems.. Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New G35... But Few Problems.. Help

Hey.. guys. I bought 2005 g35 coupe 6mt.. I'm enjoying my ride so far.. but few questions are spinning in my head.. i'm pretty sure these issues were discussed before and I did tried to find it through search but couldn't get the answer i wanted... so here are my questions...
1) people are saying during the break time?, you shouldn't rev your car no more than 4000 or 5000 rpm.. but when does the break time over?... cuz I'm running 2900 miles on my G.. and I wasn't sure weahter I could drive my G as I wished or should I maintain my RPM limit???
2) when I start from 1st gear to 2nd gear.... weather the engine or transmission (I have no idea) it sounds like and feels like something is dropping.. like Clung! and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd gear it makes that noise.. ? why? is it normal?? it doesn't happen all the time. but most of time it makes that noise very loud that i could feel that drop...
3) when i'm driving around 40 or 30 mph, i hit the clutch all the way and then I tried to put the gear into 1st, but I can't put in into 1st gear... and I force it, it makes grounding sounds... its kind of hard to put into 2nd gear also... but as I reduce the speed to near 20 or 15 mph, it gets much easier to put the gear into 1st.. why? is this normal????
PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE ISSUES... IT GETS IN MY NERVE ALL THE TIME I DRIVE.....

Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Do you how to drive a manual trans? Sounds like you're horrible at it.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
1 ) Your break-in period is over, you should be fine redlining gears if you like.
2 ) What you hear is engine knocking, or pinging.
3 ) Why are you trying to downshift into first at 40 mph? Are you trying to blow your motor? Seems like you need some lessons on driving a manual transmission. Theres no purpose to downshift INTO first....

Old 09-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Max in 1st is 27 mph and thats redline so learn ur gears.

I drive an auto and I know that.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by annual
Max in 1st is 27 mph and thats redline so learn ur gears.

I drive an auto and I know that.
I wasn't really going into 1st gear but was just playing around putting into 1st 2nd 3rd gear as I had my foot on the clutch all the way..... I'm not crazy to release my clutch after i put gear into 1st gear while driving 40mph.. But anyway, I guess thats how gears are setup.. i guess huh?... so there's nothing wrong with it right???
and about the pinging??? is it bad?... should i take it to dealer for checkup???
BTW, as you guys noticed.. YES, I am newby for manual... it is my 1st car for manual transmission.... so guys help or give me some advises to be a good manual driver....

Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
My fault, I didnt clearly understand your post. Thank god you didnt release the clutch in first. Yeah, definitely take your car into the dealer and have them check up on your engine knocking issues. It should not be knocking this early, or knock at all lol.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG 40MPH and you want to engage 1st? If you want to blow up your engine, do this...

put in neutral, press the accelerator to rev up the engine, then clutch and 1st gear. 1st gear is protected... its only allowed if you go lower than 10mph, however, rev up the engine in netutral, and it will go in.

Good luck explaining your blown engine to infiniti.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Buddy you really need to take some lesson on how to drive stick.. Even in my curious I wouldn't wanna test something like shifting into 1st on G35.. It it was a beater then yes... secondly as said learn your gears on when to change, whats the max limit they are safe to be in...

Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
OMG 40MPH and you want to engage 1st? If you want to blow up your engine, do this...

put in neutral, press the accelerator to rev up the engine, then clutch and 1st gear. 1st gear is protected... its only allowed if you go lower than 10mph, however, rev up the engine in netutral, and it will go in.

Good luck explaining your blown engine to infiniti.
yup...

apparently, it's normal to have resistance to the 1st gear gate while at that speed.

if you want to put it in 1st while at 40mph (don't know why you would), you can either shift to neutral, or another gear other than 1st, then shift into 1st.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by M6_G
Buddy you really need to take some lesson on how to drive stick.. Even in my curious I wouldn't wanna test something like shifting into 1st on G35.. It it was a beater then yes... secondly as said learn your gears on when to change, whats the max limit they are safe to be in...
YES, I am new to manual transmission... but I don't think everyone is understanding my issue here... (anyway this issue had been cleared..)
I was going about 40mph on 4th gear... and then I put my left foot on the clutch and pressed it all the way and I put the gear in neutral... while my left foot on the clutch all the way in, I was trying to put the gear into 3rd, 2nd and 1st just for the fun w/o releasing my clutch... (Now i know why I had hard time puting gears into 2nd and 1st...)... but I'm not that stupid to release the cltuch after putting gear into 1st while going 40 mph...
anyway, my another issue is, when i'm putting gear from 1st to 2nd, (when I hit clutch to engage into 2nd gear) I hear CLUNG! from engine bay... is it because of my newby style driving habit? or something wrong with the car????

Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Are you ****ing blind or mentally challenged? It is called ENGINE KNOCKING/PINGING. TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. GOODNIGHT KID. Jesus, i can understand being a newbie at stick, but you cant read either?

Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Are you ****ing blind or mentally challenged? It is called ENGINE KNOCKING/PINGING. TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. GOODNIGHT KID. Jesus, i can understand being a newbie at stick, but you cant read either?
thanks ALOT for your advise... and once again, thaks again for letting me know its ENGINE KNOCKING/PINING.. ****ing ***ch (hopefully, you know how to read)...
I was simply asking weather its my driving habit (since it is my new manual car).. and I guess you were born to be a manual driver... right?..... jesus, you just left thread here to remind me that it is engine knocking/pinging???

Last edited by xxjkimxx; 09-08-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My '05 MT G makes that sound also, I don't think it's engine knocking. It sounds more like the clutch and tranny that's making that sound. It only happens when I'm changing gear from 1st to 2nd. I don't know if this is normal or not either.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 AM
You should not down shift to first. You have to be rolling or stopped.

Ask a another 6mt driver to drive your car. The sound you are describing maybe shifting related like the cluch not being fully engaged or something.

I think you just need some practice.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by xxjkimxx
YES, I am new to manual transmission... but I don't think everyone is understanding my issue here... (anyway this issue had been cleared..)
I was going about 40mph on 4th gear... and then I put my left foot on the clutch and pressed it all the way and I put the gear in neutral... while my left foot on the clutch all the way in, I was trying to put the gear into 3rd, 2nd and 1st just for the fun w/o releasing my clutch... (Now i know why I had hard time puting gears into 2nd and 1st...)... but I'm not that stupid to release the cltuch after putting gear into 1st while going 40 mph...
anyway, my another issue is, when i'm putting gear from 1st to 2nd, (when I hit clutch to engage into 2nd gear) I hear CLUNG! from engine bay... is it because of my newby style driving habit? or something wrong with the car????
It should never go into first at 40 mph - no matter what. Try blipping the throttle and letting the rpms go up to about 2500 - 3000 and then downshift to 2nd while you are cruising at 40 mph, you'll find it will go into 2nd much easier. Just because the clutch is depressed, does not mean you are free to go in first gear when you are at speed. The sychros / transmission should never allow it. I wouldn't attempt to shift to 1st unless you're < 10 - 15 mph at least. I think there are some basic principles of a manual transmission you may want to check out. As for the noise, I had a similar noise on my G35 test drive and it was some clutch shudder or chatter and I'm not sure if its normal.

Last edited by Bryant; 09-08-2005 at 12:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New G35... But Few Problems.. Help