G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Not too impressed with my G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Premier Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=allforthecash]LOL....i have never heard of such a thing, sell it and by a STI or something faster to meet your needs...if you were looking for a "rocket" you picked the wrong car....or mod the hell out of it....

i have to agree i mean for the price and the looks of the car its pretty awesome. if you wanted something quicker then get the sti and look goofy or if you wanna look goofier get a srt hahh

Old 02-03-2006, 07:44 PM
First off...Hello Everyone. I know how you feel. I sold a 94 civic dx with a 99 gsr motor swap with intake, header, exhaust, 8lb flywheel, act 6 puck clutch that was quicker than my G. At least in 1/4 mile race. I researched the EVO, the WRX, and the RSX for 4 months and realized either everyone and their mother had one or I just did not want another torqueless Honda. And then it hit me to call Pepe Infinti to test drive a G and work out numbers. I test drove the G in White Plains NY and was not really impressed. I got out of the car a bit confused but took another glimpse at it and was back to lovin it. So i bought it..LOL. After about 3000 miles in WOT it started to actually have some real good torque and pickup. Still not a 1/4 mile machine but who cares it s fast enough and the high end is where it shines. The problem is the car is heavy but ITS SO PIMP. I have never been in a car that had so many eyes gravitate towards it. Love the car for what it was made for, and you will realize that you made a good decision. If you go with FI, try researching for websites such as www.violentracing.com and such. They will turn your luxury coupe that is sporty into a luxury daily driven race car, if this si what you want.

BTW, the car I test drove ended up being mine. It's a 2005 6MT with basically all the options except Navi since I have one that is portable
PS. I miss my civic but I would never give up this beautiful car for a 95 hybrid tahtw a sonly good for Thursday night drag racing. (Wow I guess this wouldnt have came out of mouth 2 yrs ago,,,must be growing up!!)

Old 02-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by HumpTheFridge
well about a month ago i went out and bought an 06 6mt. the looks of the car got me hooked when they first came out so i rescearched them for awhile hearing nothing but good things about them. dont get me wrong i love the car but i have to say it is prety slow. i hear alot of you guys saying how fast they are even when left stock but i dont know if i would even put it in the quick catagory. it just seems like it take ages to accelerate and pull through the RPM range. i just dont know what to do.
Sell it and buy something else then. I owned 3 different C5 Corvettes before buying my G35 Coupe and it's fast enough for me. My last Vette was modified and had about 380HP. I was actually surprised at how hard the G pulled. It's not nearly as fast as my Vette but I didn't expect it to be.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The G is a very capable machine. Launch it right, and you'll be able to keep up with just about anything. I lost a few short runs, but I also kept up with an Evo and an M3 all thru 3rd gear. Another time I lost to the Evo, but his girlfriend still drooled more over my G than him being faster, and that's priceless. To each his own.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
What year Accord do you have? V6?

Originally Posted by waterp7
go F/I.... what do you consider fast...or what car did you come from? This car is much faster than my Accord hands down.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:41 PM
jmX
well about a month ago i went out and bought an 06 6mt. the looks of the car got me hooked when they first came out so i rescearched them for awhile hearing nothing but good things about them. dont get me wrong i love the car but i have to say it is prety slow. i hear alot of you guys saying how fast they are even when left stock but i dont know if i would even put it in the quick catagory. it just seems like it take ages to accelerate and pull through the RPM range. i just dont know what to do.
Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you. The G35 looks great and it hooked me, but other than that it is absoultely nothing special, especially for the price. Its slow, it certainly doesn't handle like a sports car, and to top it off one look at the interior will tell you it doesnt fit in the luxury class of cars. Its somewhere in limbo land between sport and luxury...doesn't do either particularly well. This car should have a 4+ Litre motor, or a turbo from the factory...there's no excuse for such an pathetic engine in a car of this price range, especially considering how bad the gas milage is.

On the plus side, its sexier than hell and has neat options like NAV and bluetooth. I'm torn....I love the car, but I wouldn't buy another unless they put a manlier motor in it.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:16 PM
are you a Pilot? well you can still sale it and buy a different car.... like Porche 911 twin turbo, Ford GT or even a carrera..... I bet those are quite fast enough......

Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
You're going about it all wrong. Stop humping the fridge and start humping the car . . . It'll go much faster.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmX
Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you. The G35 looks great and it hooked me, but other than that it is absoultely nothing special, especially for the price. Its slow, it certainly doesn't handle like a sports car, and to top it off one look at the interior will tell you it doesnt fit in the luxury class of cars. Its somewhere in limbo land between sport and luxury...doesn't do either particularly well. This car should have a 4+ Litre motor, or a turbo from the factory...there's no excuse for such an pathetic engine in a car of this price range, especially considering how bad the gas milage is.

On the plus side, its sexier than hell and has neat options like NAV and bluetooth. I'm torn....I love the car, but I wouldn't buy another unless they put a manlier motor in it.
I agree with you that the G isn't fast, but I do believe it handles well, especially for such a heavy and large car. The G's brakes are also far above average. All in all, the G isn't a bad car for the price.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:43 PM
WHat you do is you go out and get a greddy TT kit and up the boost to 6 or 6 1/2 psi and you'll see how your frown will turn into a grin and then into a full blown smile.

I've had the kit for over 6 months and I'm still looking for someone to beat me on the street.

Extremely happy customer here! <--------

Old 02-03-2006, 09:58 PM
you want a fast car.. get an Evo! takes in mods well and is a complete rocket with all the handling and braking you need.

as far as the G being slow... I don't think so... faster than any honda.

when I bought the G however speed was not something I was looking into but I didn't want no 4 cyclinder 100hp car.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Re: Not too impressed

I feel your pain. I got hooked on the G35 coupe's great looks about a year before I bought my loaded 05 6MT last April as a replacement for a 92 Eclipse GSX 5-speed (which I also bought new and still own). The G35 was the only vehicle in the $40K-and-under price range that appealed to me at all, and based on all the reviews I'd read I had expected it to be much faster. Yes, the engine puts out a decent amount of power from around 4700 rpm or so on up to the redline, but I had expected a 3.5 liter V6 with variable valve timing to have a much broader and flatter torque curve than it does. When I drive the **** out of this car it feels just about as fast as advertised, but I thought it was going to be a lot quicker in typical daily driving without having to resort to winding the hell out of the motor. I like nearly everything else about this car very much, but the low-end grunt I had assumed would be there just isn't. Maybe the MREV mod I'm mulling over will put the smile back on my face -- it's something you might want to consider yourself.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by AVJunkie
Sell it and buy something else then. I owned 3 different C5 Corvettes before buying my G35 Coupe and it's fast enough for me. My last Vette was modified and had about 380HP. I was actually surprised at how hard the G pulled. It's not nearly as fast as my Vette but I didn't expect it to be.
I traded an '00 Mustang GT for my first G35 sedan, and to me it was as quick if not quicker then the GT, and my '05, well, it still surprises me sometimes, and I have a sedan AT!

Old 02-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
92 MR2 are you are kidding man... The turbo came with 200hp that year and I don't care what you did to it You were pushing 250hp MAX with out doing an engine swap... The *STOCK* G35 would pull on that MR2 from 85 to 110mph like a raped ape...
Since when was a 3S-GTE(MR2 turbo engine), only capable of 250hp? Do you even know what your talking about? Those engines on the stock turbo are capable (with boost increased to 16psi, 17 is about the limit on this turbo) of about 280bhp, with intake, ecu, and exhaust upgrades. If you go aftermarket with the turbo, and build the engine the sky is the limit, I've seen many running 400+whp. So again I ask, do you have any idea what your talking about? Because he did say HEAVILY MODDED!

Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 AM
I hear ya! I was in love when I got this car over a year ago. I thought it was fast... But now, I'm over my G. I realized it isn't really that fast at all. And I can't stand the cheap interior anymore! So, my brother is getting my G and I'm moving into an '06 Corvette! But I'll always have a special place in my heart for Gs, and I still get excited when I see another one on the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not too impressed with my G