G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

BMW Owner w/ G questions, considering switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: BMW Owner w/ G questions, considering switch

I went from a 00 '328i to a 2001 530 sport. I loved both cars, but had one hell of a time with a shimmy problem on the 530 and a bunch of little rattels and minor things failing on a 60K+ car. I got so frustrated with it, I decided to go see what "car and driver" was kicking up all this fuss about. The comments such as "finally, the bmw beater" had my fur up. I test drove the G35 6MT and drove it with 22kms on it like I would drive it, regardless of salesman in the seat or not. I was blown away. To me the performance of the G35 was superior, and the cornering and breaking of the g35 in my opinion was much beater. (brembo's help!) However on an interior perspective I believe the G35 was better than 328, but not like the 530. The 530 had the luxury feel. I think the bose stereo is better on the G35 and the controls are more user friendly. I've allways been a bimmer man....but Overall, I'd rather be in a G!!! It's just that much more fun.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...or you could just get an 04', where all these things were done in the factory.

<hr></blockquote>

They actually haven't changed much in terms of fixing those problems in the factory, even on the '04. I was talking to my dealer and he said the same TSBs are out, but it makes perfect sense. You don't stop production for a week to alter one little thing, and reconfigure all of your machinery; that costs millions in production when chaning one tiny aspect. It makes more economic sense to ship TSB packets on demand. When they did the '04 switch, there were certain things that didn't change. They HAVE padded the doors, they even did that on the '03.5s, but you need them to double it up, because after about 5k, you start to hear it. Keep in mind this is only a problem in about 5% of the cars, so they haven't universally "fixed" it.

It's nothing new-- pretty much all manufacturers do it, we had a recurring problem with three consecutive bimmers and two jags (okay, I guess I expected it from the Jag [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img])

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 09-11-2003, 11:27 AM

I just switched from a '01 330i to a '03 G35 about two weeks ago. I totalled my 330. yeah! It was time for it to go anyway.
I had done all I could do with it (except a supercharger).
It was still slow (~245 at the wheels). I drove the G35 Sedan and it didn't impress me as much as the coupe. Now I'm experiencing the joy of playing again. Adding mods,new car smell, etc...

Old 09-11-2003, 12:57 PM

Besides the G35 being faster, what else do you like better about it compared to your 330ci?

Thanks,
-Brandon

Old 09-11-2003, 01:16 PM

2 cents worth--
when test driving, you do not get to feel acceleratiion past 4 grand....there is some good stuff here you need to experience
Also, My BMW friends say their dealers sucks...not so for our dealers ...I was there yesterday and the mechanic says the coupe has so little problems, they are bored.
both fine cars and I think we all had the same decision...happy with my choice big time

Old 09-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Motor Trend recently did a 1-year update on the coupe:

We're trying hard--really we are-- not to be swept off our feet by Inifiniti's G35 Coupe. As Editor-in-chief Kevin Smith penned, "It worries me a little that I don't find much to criticize, but this is one of those cars that comes together and nailse it". It goes on to say there were 0 problems, and the only service they had was an oil change and swapping tires. Pretty reliable car.

G

Old 09-11-2003, 03:43 PM

I haven't owned 330s, but I have driven them extensively both before and after I bought the G. The keys for me were that:
1. The G was just more fun
2. The G performed better
3. The G will have less problems
4. The G is distinctive and gorgeous, not boring and ubiquitous. Gets tons more attention too.
5. The G is sportier than the BMW in just about every way.

Price wasn't even a factor in my decision, it was just icing on the cake.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:51 AM
cSc

vwan wrote:

In summary, things I don't like about the G are:
- auto headlight setting, it just placed in the wrong position, in fact, delete this useless feature
- high seating postition (same as the 330ci)
- lack of seat memory and electric seat back adjustment
- no auto mirror tilt in reverse gear
- lack of fuel consumption display and high fuel consumption
- lots of brake dust, 330ci is the same

What I like the G over the 330ci
- better door and window closing, no need to slam to get the door shut
- sportier ride, flatter corning, powerful Brembos, shorter shifts, better steering feel
- softer perforated leather seating surface
- lots of storage space
- more responsive auto dimmer mirror, the bimmer's were so slow and completely useless in well lit city streets
- marginally more head room

-- VWan

I also went from a 2001 330Ci to a G35 Coupe.

The 330Ci had a lot more trunk space. I can't even fit two large pieces of luggage unless I put the rear seats down. Oh well.

Also, you can only fit 2 people in the rear...as long as they are under 5'10". Whereas, you could sit 3 people in the back of the 330Ci. I'm glad I don't sit in the back of my G35

In the DC area, everybody and their little brother/sister has a BMW. So to have something that sticks out, the Caribbean Blue G35 Coupe sure fits that description.

--
2003 G35c 6MT | CaribBlue/Graphite | Premium | Aero | Tinted Windows | Aluminum Pedals

Old 09-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Also, you can only fit 2 people in the rear...as long as they are under 5'10". Whereas, you could sit 3 people in the back of the 330Ci. I'm glad I don't sit in the back of my G35

<hr></blockquote>
Really? Wow. I didn't even fit in the backseat of the 330Ci by myself at 6'3". The back of the 330xi isn't even marginally comfortable, I can't imagine fitting three people in the Ci... you must have some midget friends [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

G

Old 09-12-2003, 02:33 PM

--cSc quote--
I also went from a 2001 330Ci to a G35 Coupe.

The 330Ci had a lot more trunk space. I can't even fit two large pieces of luggage unless I put the rear seats down. Oh well.

-- end quote --

Hey cSc, I guess the back seat and trunk space didn't come to my mind because I seldom need them. In fact, the Infiniti sales pointed these two issues out when he found out that I had a E46 coupe. Also, the E46 coupe look very similar to the boxy sedan to me, even though they don't share any body panels.

But then, when someone considers a Coupe, is the rear seat space really be a show-stopper decision? If this is a big deal, why not consider the 4-door version; easier access, more comfortable seat, and bigger trunk. Just my $0.02.

2004 6MT - Red

Old 09-12-2003, 02:39 PM

-- brandonb's quote --

Besides the G35 being faster, what else do you like better about it compared to your 330ci?

-- end quote --

Mani's respond above pretty much sums it up.

2004 6MT - Red

Old 09-12-2003, 04:36 PM

I'm in the process of selling my 1996 bmw Z3...While the Z3 was a blast to drive...it's just my time to move on to another sports car. I also drive a 2002 Toyota tundra and 2000 Mercedes S500 so luggage space and passager room is not a concern for me. What i don't like about European cars, beemers and benz specifically is that they have a ton of electrical problems. It's probably too soon to see if Inifinity has any problems like this. Only thing i hear so far is the rattles, but what can you expect with tight suspension. Even my $100+k benz rattles a little when the body flex's over bumps and cracks, but i suppose the 20" rims don't help that out either.

Looking for a DG on Graphite 6MT, Nav and Premium only in Los Angeles area.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:36 PM

BTW, Great Comparison by Vwan

Looking for a DG on Graphite 6MT, Nav and Premium only in Los Angeles area.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:02 PM
cSc

vwan--

I just want everything

I want the look of the coupe, but the space of the sedan.

Along with all those other things on the wish list listed earlier...

I just laughed at one of the salesperson responses to the size of the trunk... "It's small because it's a coupe." I then walked him to my 330Ci at the time and showed him the difference in sizes of the 330Ci coupe trunk vs. the G35 coupe trunk. That shut him up...

Anyways, I'm still enjoying my G on the capital beltway, all things considered, since it only moves at 5mph...blah

--cSc

--
2003 G35c 6MT | CaribBlue/Graphite | Premium | Aero | Tinted Windows | Aluminum Pedals

Old 09-13-2003, 11:03 AM

One of the things that motivated me to buy a G35C almost immediately after seeing it for the first time was the large amount of storage space it has with the back seat down. Where the 350Z was a non-starter in that regard, the G35C has all the space I need.

IIRC, the G35 coupe and sedan are built on the same wheelbase. So "Its [trunk is] small because it's a coupe" in terms of its comparison to the sedan (not the 330ci) is a pretty valid point. It seems the passenger compartment was moved aft and the roofline/deck shortened and lowered compared to the sedan, both reducing rear seat/trunk space, mainly for styling reasons. I'm happy with the compromise (I love the coupe's styling and am merely ok with the looks of the sedan), and find the overall sport/functionality ratio of the coupe to be outstanding.