G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Calling all "X's" with a lowered suspension!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
The only struts for the front are OEM, KYB GR-2's, or custom Koni's like Kazaam's. That's one of the major problems with lowering an X.

The rear shocks are the same for both RWD and AWD so there are several options there.
Good news. Called Kazaam to see if he still had them...and low & behold, he did! SOLD...picked them up lastnight. I already bought his spings 2 1/2 weeks ago. Now to get them installed.

Installing MREV2 tomorrow with a friend. I'll be posting a vid on DIY threads.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by gergdees
Oops, my mistake. I guess i should have looked at the pictures of the BC coilovers a bit closer. They looked like they had pillow ball top mounts on the fronts because of the way the top plate appears in some of the pictures. I can see it better in TurTLe's close up pics.

Hopefully I will be able to get a set of BC coils in the next couple weeks. That is, if I decide to keep my car. I have seen a few BMW 335XIs around with low mileage and decent prices. Something about having a twin turbo inline six in an AWD sedan similar to ours that makes 384 hp and 421 lb/ft of torque with an exhaust and an ECU reflash that includes a factory warranty match of up to 4 years or 50,000 miles makes that car very tempting. The Vortech supercharger I was thinking of buying will only bring my car up to 404/350 and then I will have as much money invested in my 06 G35x as what I could get an 08 335xi sport for with 20k miles... Decisions, decisions.
if you say so... the 335 has WAY too many problems with the HPFP... not starting and working and etc. and who are you lieing too.. ECU and full warranty... yea you might get away with it but you take a risk anytime you mod a car. same as you running a SC on the G.

if you are not out any money thats cool but that is the only point in me considering it, with the problems the 335 has. When comparing cars you gotta compare stock numbers to stock numbers, when you mod cars its just not fair because some cars are just cheap to mod and go fast. like a LSx or the Evo.

I think the G will be on the road and running right at 100k and the 335 will have needed a lot more repairs down the road to get it right.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to know that at least a couple people are going to try the kyb's. So hopefully we hear positive reviews.

I saw someone mentioned that the rear struts are the same for the rwd sedan. Knowing that.....

Is there any advantage / or is it even ok to have different struts on the rear and run the kyb's on the front?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
if you say so... the 335 has WAY too many problems with the HPFP... not starting and working and etc. and who are you lieing too.. ECU and full warranty... yea you might get away with it but you take a risk anytime you mod a car. same as you running a SC on the G.

if you are not out any money thats cool but that is the only point in me considering it, with the problems the 335 has. When comparing cars you gotta compare stock numbers to stock numbers, when you mod cars its just not fair because some cars are just cheap to mod and go fast. like a LSx or the Evo.

I think the G will be on the road and running right at 100k and the 335 will have needed a lot more repairs down the road to get it right.
I had actually heard that they had a new and updated pump to fix those issues that BMW will install for free. BMW has said that as long as you get the Dinan re-flash done at a BMW dealer that is Dinan certified for installs, it will not void the warranty. Dinan will also match the factory warranty in case something goes wrong that is caused by their tune. My local BMW dealership is Dinan certified and I know a salesman there who will sell the stage 2 re-flash to me for $800 instead of the typical $1800 to $2200.

I actually had the same concerns about longevity and the reason why I went with the G35 instead of the BMW was the cheaper maintenance costs. The only thing though Is I typically don't drive cars for more than $30k at the most before getting something else unless they are a lease.

Don't get me wrong, I love my G35x to death and it has been on my list of cars to own in my lifetime since it came out. It's just quite a bit tempting to trade (down) to the BMW and get that big of a performance boost for an $800.00 re-flash. I probably won't get it though as I plan to buy a second vehicle soon, A Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the HEMI. I used to have one and I loved it. I need something to tow my boat with and I'm sick of borrowing my dad's truck. Out of all of the different full size trucks and SUVs I've owned over the years, nothing has towed better than the 05 Grand Cherokee Limited I used to have. It felt like my 5000 lb boat and trailer weren't even back there and still got pretty decent 0-60 times as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Skyfox16
Great to know that at least a couple people are going to try the kyb's. So hopefully we hear positive reviews.

I saw someone mentioned that the rear struts are the same for the rwd sedan. Knowing that.....

Is there any advantage / or is it even ok to have different struts on the rear and run the kyb's on the front?
I got the KYB rears on this weekend with the help of my uncle.

They are a bit stiffer than stock, but feel great. I paired them with H-Tech springs and couldn't be happier. You can tell it's a good shock by how slow or fast it recoils from depression (no emo). I later saw a truck bouncing up and down on the road while driving my uncle's 911, that's because the guy's shocks are blown and hardly have any recoil. The KYB's are slow.

So in short, I give the KYB shocks a thumbs up.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can run whatever you want on the rear, but I don't know that there would be much, if any, advantage. I would probably just get KYB all around. They are cheap and sound like they are at least as good as stock. It would be nice if they would come out with an adjustable version for us, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Glad to hear something positive for the kyb's.

I've heard the rear struts are easy to change an the fronts aren't too bad. I think someone said you need a spring compressor tho... Is that correct?
Also should you replace the shocks at the same time? I wouldn't mind be lower but with 19"rays I don't want to roll the fenders or have to worry about camber issues.

With 93k miles I can't help but think that mine are worn out. And if I do it myself it's not really an expensive job.

As soon as Ohio gets some nice sunny days this will be my next project and I'll probably so the 06 brake upgrade at the same time.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to hear something positive for the kyb's.

I've heard the rear struts are easy to change an the fronts aren't too bad. I think someone said you need a spring compressor tho... Is that correct?
Also should you replace the shocks at the same time? I wouldn't mind be lower but with 19"rays I don't want to roll the fenders or have to worry about camber issues.

With 93k miles I can't help but think that mine are worn out. And if I do it myself it's not really an expensive job.

As soon as Ohio gets some nice sunny days this will be my next project and I'll probably so the 06 brake upgrade at the same time.
Hmm, do you mean springs? You can change them if you want to, but if you are just going to stick with stock I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Also, yes you will need a spring compressor to change the front struts.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so i started a thread asking about running staggered rims on AWD and they said you can as long as you have same tire diameter, 245/35/17, for example what are they talking about in the example of a tire i just gave(whihc number) and then in the new sticky "look before posting" "(*Caution - it is not good for the AWD system in the X model sedan to run staggered wheels unless you remove the AWD fuse)" NOW IM CONFUSED AM I GUNNA SCREW **** UP?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by shrty10135
ok so i started a thread asking about running staggered rims on AWD and they said you can as long as you have same tire diameter, 245/35/17, for example what are they talking about in the example of a tire i just gave(whihc number) and then in the new sticky "look before posting" "(*Caution - it is not good for the AWD system in the X model sedan to run staggered wheels unless you remove the AWD fuse)" NOW IM CONFUSED AM I GUNNA SCREW **** UP?
What they mean is that your total diameter of all four wheels needs to be the same or very close to the same dimension. example - i am running oem 19" coupe rays. the rims have a staggered Width, meaning the rear rims are a Half inch wider then the fronts, this is ok. You need to be worried about the Diameter. My Tires are 245/35/19 Front, and 255/35/19 Rear. some people choose to run a 40 series instead of the 35 to fill the wheel well more. This is my setup and i havnt had any problems.

use this link to compare tires.....
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

*note that my tire sizes are a .27 of an inch off and it still runs fine with no lights coming on.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Purchased Bc coils for my X, right now i could fit about 4 1/2 fingers in my wheel well. Want to be able to only fit about 2 fingers, will a 2" drop accomplish this? Might get the install done next week.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok, here we go. Updated. Crappy iPhone pics snapped:

1- Tein H-Tech - Sedan and KYB rears.
2- Almost 2 inches. 2 finger gap.
3- Like stock.
4- I need both front and rear camber kits.
5- 100 mi.
6- I replaced the rears with KYB.
7- M45 19" on 245/40/19 Hankook Evo's.

I got it aligned today and I'm off front and rear by about 1.7 (camber). I need both kits.

I drive a '05 X.

Last edited by dsmmyth; 04-08-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put the BC coilovers on my 05 X this weekend. Going to wait 2 weeks for the springs to settle before I do final adjustments for ride height and then go in to get it re-aligned. Question I have is about the spring adjustments. I believe that I need to adjust the actual shock for the height I want. Am I correct in thinking that the compressing and decompressing of the actual spring will affect the rebound of the car? The thing that concerns me is the rear springs, when I was installing the rear setup, It looked like the old rubber top mounts were not used. The springs would not sit in properly unless I put the spings at almost their utmost extension.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
any of you guys running the BC coils thru the winter in a heavy snow climate? curious to how they are responding and if any blew out... I know i had friends with K-sport coils on maxima blow out in one winter, but thats heavy climate changes in chicago. we see 100+ and -20 normally in a year.
havent been on this thread for a while. i've had my BC coils on since August of 09. i've put about 20,000 miles on them since august till now. including winter drives to vermont all season. there still running strong.

i read also that someone said with people in the back it was scraping. on trips to vermont i had 4 people in the car and 4 people worth of luggage in the trunk plus snowboards on the rack. yes the rear sits a tad lower but no rubbing at all. not as low as lumpia but its low.

all my trips in the snow 3' or more i had no issues with the drop. plow a little but the car held up just fine. as long as the roads where somewhat plowed i was good. only issue i had was i cracked my front lip due to a little snow drifting. ( my fault, was having a little fun when i shouldnt have been driving. )

during the winter i ran them at the softest setting. i recently nothed all 4 to 5 clicks hard.

for a set of coilovers just made for us, i must say they are worth every penny.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apintojr
havent been on this thread for a while. i've had my BC coils on since August of 09. i've put about 20,000 miles on them since august till now. including winter drives to vermont all season. there still running strong.

i read also that someone said with people in the back it was scraping. on trips to vermont i had 4 people in the car and 4 people worth of luggage in the trunk plus snowboards on the rack. yes the rear sits a tad lower but no rubbing at all. not as low as lumpia but its low.

all my trips in the snow 3' or more i had no issues with the drop. plow a little but the car held up just fine. as long as the roads where somewhat plowed i was good. only issue i had was i cracked my front lip due to a little snow drifting. ( my fault, was having a little fun when i shouldnt have been driving. )

during the winter i ran them at the softest setting. i recently nothed all 4 to 5 clicks hard.

for a set of coilovers just made for us, i must say they are worth every penny.
I also haven't been on this site much lately. But I had my coils on since may 09 and they are good for the price you can't go wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Calling all "X's" with a lowered suspension!