G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Ticketed for disregard stop sign- didn't do it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Ticketed for disregard stop sign- didn't do it!

I got a citation for running a stop sign last weekend and for once I am innocent! The sign and place I stopped the G were blocked from the officer's view by bushes and trees. I came to a complete stop before going thru the intersection. She would not listen to anything I said and actually gave me the "talk to the hand" sign. I plan on going to court with a video I made of what was visible from her viewpoint. Do you think a judge will allow me to present it in court?

Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I faught one like that once... I stopped and then made a turn. The cop wrote down the street I turned onto instead of the street where the stop sign was. The judge thru it out. I'm sure they will be happy to view any evidence you care to present - that's what they are there for.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it depends on the judge and state you're in. It's pretty hard to beat a ticket in NY. Out of 8 tickets, I beat only one.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
It's worth a try I think.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
i beat almost 80% of my tickets and the ones i know i wont' win my laywer gets them dismissed. take pics of the tree and draw diagrams of positioning of the police officer where he was sitting and so forth. photos of the scene always help especially intersections with cars blocking the stop sign or trees. i hope this helps you out

Old 08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
YOu really don't need a video. Just a picture from the officer's and your direction would be enough. Make sure to supenoa the biach and make her waste her day also.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselX
I think it depends on the judge and state you're in. It's pretty hard to beat a ticket in NY. Out of 8 tickets, I beat only one.
8 tickets! WOW! Mine is more the opposite of being pulled over about 10 times and only getting one ticket 14 years ago when the cop clocked someone else and blamed me.... damn Long Beach Police!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, only 1 of those tickets was being pulled over. The rest were parking... should have mentioned that I guess.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In traffic court you need to use the keep it simple stupid (kiss) principle. The Judge is busy enough and he doesn’t want to see some Dog and Pony show on how you have been wronged. Like Jeff said, a picture would suffice.

You will have to go to court once to plead innocent and set up a hearing with the Police officer. An old trick is when it gets close to the date of the hearing, try and have it rescheduled. This will delay the hearing for a bit and if the officer had scheduled time to attend the hearing, they will have to reschedule it. Some officers will say screw it and not show.

If the officer does show up in court, make sure you state your side of the case to the judge succinctly with out using slang or being accusational towards the police officer. Remember that the judge has heard every bull$hit story in the book. So if you’re polite and respectful. The judge might cut you some slack and dismiss the case..

Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shodog
In traffic court you need to use the keep it simple stupid (kiss) principle. The Judge is busy enough and he doesn’t want to see some Dog and Pony show on how you have been wronged. Like Jeff said, a picture would suffice.

You will have to go to court once to plead innocent and set up a hearing with the Police officer. An old trick is when it gets close to the date of the hearing, try and have it rescheduled. This will delay the hearing for a bit and if the officer had scheduled time to attend the hearing, they will have to reschedule it. Some officers will say screw it and not show.

If the officer does show up in court, make sure you state your side of the case to the judge succinctly with out using slang or being accusational towards the police officer. Remember that the judge has heard every bull$hit story in the book. So if you’re polite and respectful. The judge might cut you some slack and dismiss the case..
+1 exactly.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
How much is the ticket for? (no points I assume?)

Old 08-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for all replies.

I made a 30 second video of what the officer would have seen approaching my car until I am right in front of my car ( wife driving it and sitting where I was at the stop). My black G is completely hidden behind the trees until you are right in front of it. I also took a pic, but the officer could argue against it since no car is visible.
An officer/ friend said it is a moving violation and would at least get some points, thus reported to my insurance. The points and my feeling wronged are the only reasons I would go to court over such a small thing.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you ever been to traffic court? The Judge isn't going to want to see your video.

Realize that if you take this to a hearing, you will most likely lose unless the officer doesn't show. 9 times out of 10 the court will side with the officer.

two things. Check you insurance company and see if they will forgive 1 point. I know AAA does. If they do, then definetly fight it.

Second, you might think about cutting your losses and pay the fine and go to traffic school. The fine plus traffic school cost will be much lower than the total of the insurance premium increases you will pay over the next three years.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say definately reschdule it atleast once for the cop to be inconvinence so maybe he/she wont care to show up next time.

2. just take a few photos of the street that favors your argument.

No video, cuz itll just take up time and judges are impatient as it is.

Be respect and DEFINATELY dress respectful.
Lol some kid i know went thru what u about to and dress like a street thug, what he calls casual clothing to him. You can guess the outcome

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for disregard stop sign- didn't do it!