G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. STi vs. EVO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lycan
may i chime in here. being my 1st post ill dive in the shallow end. currently i have a 35 sedan, sti, and turbo civic. unless you are willing to tear apart your engine you will never! threaten a lightly modded rally car in a straight line. and the first curve will be way worse. having said that you can never replace displacement, and the vq certainly has that.replace the rods and pistons and katie bar the door. BIG torque but at what cost? the rally breed is stunning as a overall package light, balanced, personal preference between the 2 daily driver the sti is better and not likely to leave the U.S.in a year. oh yeah had 2 evos and two previous wrx. none compaired with the sti. you can make the sedan very nice and stomp most lightly modded cars IF your willing to spend the cash. i pick both. course best is a ls1 f-body and a g35. but a decent rally car is a absolute terror on a curved road. course7000 miles on a set of tires is routine with them. eeek! my .02$
lol, he's got $40K, I suggested an SS before I realized that, now I'm tell him go get a used previous gen Z06 (you can find those under $40K now.. at least around here)

Old 08-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're older than 20 and don't wear your ball caps sideways then get the G - otherwise the STI or EVO will suit you fine.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM
bad hair

i think the side cap makes the "younger crowd" look like short bus window lickers. . most people assume im a young guy till i get out of the car. speed cost money how fast ya wanna go? older usually = more $$$

Old 08-30-2006, 07:10 PM
40k, 2003 m5, c6, 550i lease, 05 m3 ..

Old 08-30-2006, 10:10 PM
would the evo x or gt-r be worht waiting for? i heard the evo x only comes auto now. is that true? and also whats their prices?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
STI and Evo's are hitting 60 in 5 seconds, the new 07 G35 is suppose to hit 60 in 5.4 seconds... It's not that much slower especialy if the STI / Evo driver is not that good...

Remeber both the STI and EVO are just econo cars with a trubo slapped on there 4 banger engine... Thats all they will ever be in most peoples eyes..... There demo graph is 16-25 year olds.. where as the G35 is 25-40 year olds... your call....

Last edited by G35keg; 08-31-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by G35keg
STI and Evo's are hitting 60 in 5 seconds, the new 07 G35 is suppose to hit 60 in 5.4 seconds... It's not that much slower especialy if the STI / Evo driver is not that good...
STI 4.7, easily modded you can shave off a tad.

Of course, I've seen the 07 G35 at 5.2 in the other mag. I'll take "the faster printed time" for $100 Alex.

Remeber both the STI and EVO are just econo cars with a trubo slapped on there 4 banger engine... Thats all they will ever be in most peoples eyes..... There demo graph is 16-25 year olds.. where as the G35 is 25-40 year olds... your call....
It's not like GT4 where the engineers at Suburu just pull the impreza into the shop and buy the better turbo. The cars are heavily engineered. The wrx is a turbo too but isn't close to the STI in performance.

The STI, as a car, both in exterior design and comfort, is no where near as refined as the G. But bang for your buck, you're not going to find anything faster anywhere close to the price range. Unless you're talking autocross and then some of the shorter wheel base cars can take over.

The STI is a nice car. I agree it has an appeal to a slightly younger crowd, but it's not like it's a POS car that needs to be pissed on here. He's a fine piece of machinery and, from experience, it's fun as hell to drive and gives the driver feedback like a much more expensive car.

Last edited by liquidrage; 09-01-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd pick the G, for many reasons. It's fast, handles great and has class. You can keep it stock and clean, and wear a business suit.. or you can mod it to f\/ck and race STI's. You can't have that with an STi though, it's not a good daily driver. My friend has a 2003 one, heavily modded, and even when it was stock the ride was harsh. The handling is amazing and the car is so stiff, but that's a problem for regular driving, because every bump feels like a 2ft pothole!

Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by liquidrage
STI 4.7, easily modded you can shave off a tad.

Of course, I've seen the 07 G35 at 5.2 in the other mag. I'll take "the faster printed time" for $100 Alex.

It's not like GT4 where the engineers at Suburu just pull the impreza into the shop and buy the better turbo. The cars are heavily engineered. The wrx is a turbo too but isn't close to the STI in performance.

The STI, as a car, both in exterior design and comfort, is no where near as refined as the G. But bang for your buck, you're not going to find anything faster anywhere close to the price range. Unless you're talking autocross and then some of the shorter wheel base cars can take over.

The STI is a nice car. I agree it has an appeal to a slightly younger crowd, but it's not like it's a POS car that needs to be pissed on here. He's a fine piece of machinery and, from experience, it's fun as hell to drive and gives the driver feedback like a much more expensive car.
You're right. On top of that, Subaru has just addressed all the bitchin here. The STi Limited. Leather, improved interior, exterior changes that are less aggressive (no big rear spoiler). Call it a "grown up" STi with the same potent drivetrain.

Personally, I still think the stock G (I've seen a number of exterior mods to our G's that change my mind) look is classier. But quite frankly, the STi's drivetrain and performance engineering is in a whole different class than the G. The only thing that kept me out of an STi when I was shopping for my G35X was insurance. Pretty damn high on the STi.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:33 AM
(Flame suite on) I have both a G35 coupe and a STi in my stable and some of the ignorant comments here are very disappointing. At least a good number of the people here are true enthusiasts like myself and understands the real pros and cons of all three cars instead of being just image conscious. Because of the cost of insurance and performance characteristics of the EVO and STi, you'll see that most of them are owned by people in their mid 20's and up. Those of you who **** on the EVO and STi by making all these disparaging remarks have obviously never driven or even riden in one.

Edit: To OP, if you want to a car just race and rev on everything that moves, get a SRT-4. It's much cheaper and can made to be very fast for very cheap and the demographic for those are mainly high schoolers.

Last edited by rasetsu; 09-02-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by rasetsu
(Flame suite on) I have both a G35 coupe and a STi in my stable and some of the ignorant comments here are very disappointing. At least a good number of the people here are true enthusiasts like myself and understands the real pros and cons of all three cars instead of being just image conscious. Because of the cost of insurance and performance characteristics of the EVO and STi, you'll see that most of them are owned by people in their mid 20's and up. Those of you who **** on the EVO and STi by making all these disparaging remarks have obviously never driven or even riden in one.

Edit: To OP, if you want to a car just race and rev on everything that moves, get a SRT-4. It's much cheaper and can made to be very fast for very cheap and the demographic for those are mainly high schoolers.
Right about that. Had an SRT-4 that I upgraded with Mopar stuff (why can't Infiniti provide that kind of support) and had that car running high 11's for a total of under 23K, including new car. But I tired of the high school image like you mentioned. I've since moved up the Mopar line to the Charger SRT8, and all I can say is WOW!! Never thought a big four door sedan could be this much fun.