G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Stillen Sedan Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Sedan Exhaust

Attended Stillen Day and in spite of the rain had a good time. Met many forum members as well as some new G35 folks. socalted has started a thread inviting them to come on board.

Unfortunately we couldn't see or hear the last (fifth) Sedan exhaust system prototype as it's being used to build jigs for the commerical system.

Stillen did have a this picture with hp and torque dyno results.

I talked at length with Alex, Stillen's Marketing Manager about the system and asked specifically about the low baseline hp and torque numbers. He gave me the answer I'd give. To paraphrase his response... That's what the Sedan did on our dyno.

Do I believe the numbers? Yep... as much as I believe any other manufacturer's numbers... different car, different day, different dyno.

Delivery date... depends on who you talk to. Another 30 days anyway. I'm still willing to wait.

Stillen haters please refrain... I've never had any problems with Stillen. PM me if you'd like an earful on a popular company or two.

139309-Stillen Sedan Exhaust.jpg

Old 11-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Re: Stillen Sedan Exhaust

Stillen Sedan Exhaust Dyno - Torque

139310-Stillen Sedan Exhaust Torque.JPG

Old 11-15-2003, 11:46 PM

Stillen Sedan Exhaust Dyno - Horsepower

139313-Stillen Sedan Exhaust HP.jpg

Old 11-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Good, X-pipe, 2 resonators one muffler. Something I'd buy if I didn't have my custom system. Diagram is a bit off as the muffler can't be that close to the car's centerline, no biggie. I'll take it that the developement car was a auto.

Thanks for posting this Dave.

6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Custom true dual exhaust
Nismo header (soon)

Old 11-16-2003, 01:08 AM

Gsedan35,

The graphic could use a little help. I believe it was intended to show the system's fundamental layout and little more.

I'm 99% sure the test car was an automatic. The baseline torque and hp plots duplicate how stock AT Sedans run... nothing, then a big power increase around 3000 -> 3500 rpm.

DaveO

Old 11-16-2003, 01:16 PM

Great update. Can't wait to see the price on that bad boy, especially now that Borla is supposed to come out w/ one.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DaveO,

Thanks for the update and please keep us posted.

Take care,

amG35
2003 Silver Sedan

Old 11-16-2003, 06:51 PM

Interesting... Judging from the dyno plots, having this set up will make the sweet pulling hard feel to come at 1500~2500rpm range instead of the 3000~3500rpm range...

I am a newbie in aftermarket exhaust...but is this good or bad?

Doesn't this mean that by lightly tapping the throttle from stop the car would just rocket forward instead of slowly accelerating forward as the stock? Wouldn't this make the car hard to accelerate smoothly off the line? Just curious...

Old 11-16-2003, 07:39 PM

2 months ago, I was quoted an expected price of 1100 to 1500 + 78/hr for installation (from Stillen)

-ted

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 11-16-2003, 09:06 PM

socalted, surely you mean 7- hours.

I think this exhaust can be installed in no more than 2-3 hours.

This exhaust better be no more than a 1000, or I will seriously think about the borla.

That dyno plot, I just flat don't believe them. The stock torque/HP curve does not have the drop-off in the beginning. Anyone see the post of my 241hp peak dyno plot (it had a sedan baseline dyno). They pulled this dyno in god knows what gear and, I am sure, at less than full throttle in the beginning. That is not what your sedan does in the low end guys, do not believe it.

That being said, I still think this is gonna be the BEST performing system for the sedan, b/c of the x-pipe design.

Did you guys talk to the Injen guy...I did. That idiot's BS was off the scale rediculous. He said that their cat back system (with a dual-in single out (coffe can) muffler) makes 17hp together with their intake system. Jeeezzz.... That the intake and exhaust were "made to work together..." LOL Whatever... So, given that they advertised their intake making 9-12 hp, their exhaust makes 5-8 hp. Stay away from these guys. I hope they don't sell a single system with their outright deceptiveness.

Stillen wins here hands down. Want to see what Borla made (Any dynos out there)?

Gurgen

Old 11-16-2003, 11:30 PM

SoCalTed,

I think someone was blowing smoke up your skirt. I'd be real suprised if it took over two hours to install the new Stillen Exhaust on a rack. I think I can do it in three hours on the floor of my garage. That includes getting my Sedan up on the jackstands and back on the ground. Of course it could take me a little longer due to adult beverage breaks. I'll let you know how long it actually takes once I get the dang system. I know, another 30 days!

Gurgen,

My friend, we'll have to agree to disagree on the validity of these stock Sedan's dyno plots. I don't share your concern over the missing or low rpm section of the plot. I have 52 dyno plots on record and only one indicates below 2000 rpm. Most start around 2500 rpm and several start at 3000 rpm. A few have a similar low rpm line.

My point, both the stock torque and hp plots duplicate how my car acted when stock and still acts to some degree. Low power off idle to 2800 rpm or so, then a rush to around 3500 rpm followed by a longer pull to redline.

After comparing the Stillen plots to stock, it's my opinion that the combination of the Sedan's stock y-pipe, huge resonator and valved muffler really limits low end power even more so than we thought.

I'm looking forward to adding the Stillen exhaust to my other mods. You may not be the only one needing a limited slip differential.

DaveO
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by DaveO on 11/16/03 09:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-17-2003, 12:30 AM

I think he meant $78/hour for the installation.

----------------------
2004 Diamond Graphite Sedan

Old 11-17-2003, 01:14 AM

Dave,

I very distinctly remember, and actually have up on my computer in S.F., the dyno of the stock AT sedan, a 2003.5, that had a torque peak at exactly 2800rpm. That's why I was thinking about getting my T/C to have a stall speed of 2800 instead of 3000. Mine (a 2003.0) AT sedan still has that bump of torque at 2800.

The fact that we have a rush of speed at around 3000 is not very well explained by this stock dyno chart, IMHO. Just look a the HP curve, it is obvious to me without an iota of a doubt that they did not start out at full throttle on this dyno until ~ 3300rpm. But that does not necessarily mean that the gains are not there. 233 lbs-ft of torque is undeniably huge over the stock value (of what I saw) of around 210-215 lbs-ft. That is what's selling me on this product, the low-end gain. Their alleged, petty trick, if you believe it, just kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. But ~20 lbs-ft of low-end torque gain is simply... WOW. That's very hard to do. The x-pipe design at work!

I hope this product is at the right price. If, after all this 30-60 day ETA stuff, they mark this thing up in the "over 1100" range I will be pissed.

We will know soon enough. I hope to be up in SF when I get my stillen exhaust so I can do a before and after dyno of it.

Gurgen

Old 11-17-2003, 01:17 AM

Oh yeah, my LSD has gotta go in ASAP. We'll se what happens and where I can find it....

Gurgen

Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 PM

Gurgen;

I drove a loaner sedan with AT and no LSD last week and I could not believe the difference, (my sedan has a LSD). Most of the two days I had the loaner, the weather was wet, and the car was incredibly likely to break a rear tire loose. Combine this with the automatic's tendency to downshift and put you smack into the powerband at sometimes the wrong moments, this car could be a little scary. My car simply does not do this at all. You will LOVE the LSD in incliment weather. An elderly friend of mine (interested in buying a G) took a drive in the loaner, and he broke a rear tire loose at about 40 mph on a slick curvy road. He had absolutely no idea he was spinning a wheel, which scared me even more than the fact that it happened. The LSD should be available on the AT cars, if not standard equipment.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Sedan Exhaust