G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Back to the topic...

True. And on the rare occassion they (American mfrs) the put all the technical wizardry into a big-block engine, they put out some amazing concepts and race cars. They just haven't managed to get it into mainstream production.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-08-2003, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh you've gotta be [censored] kidding me.
my 4.6 makes about 550 flywheel hp and almost 600 flywheel tq

lets not knock on the new mustangs now..

2003 Mustang Cobra
2003 G35 Sedan

Old 02-08-2003, 10:43 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

True. And on the rare occassion they (American mfrs) the put all the technical wizardry into a big-block engine, they put out some amazing concepts and race cars. They just haven't managed to get it into mainstream production.

<hr></blockquote>Have you ever driven a late model Z28, Mustang GT/Cobra, Lightning, Corvette, GNX, Viper? Even with their "old school" technology, these cars are mainstream, and will kick the hell out of a G35. Hell, some of them are even cheaper...So, have you driven one?

Ivory Pearl/Premium/Xenon/

Old 02-08-2003, 02:19 PM

Blades: Not stock it doesn't. According to Ford's website, the new Cobra uses a supercharger to achieve 390HP. So now we're comparing a supercharged V8 to a naturally aspirated V6?

gaklid: They're V8's (or V10's) and I don't expect to beat them even with a high-tech V6. Show me a stock American V6 that can compete.

You can throw enough money at any engine and make a dragster out of it. I'm looking at what comes straight from the showroom floor.

Old 02-08-2003, 03:15 PM

Straight off the showroom floor i dyno'd at 375.83RWHP and 363.98RWTQ. hows that for power?

and yes i know it uses boost. but so does a supra, 911 turbo, skyline, ferrari f40, etc etc.. it doesnt mean that they are not great cars

an american made v6.. the 3 litre duratec found in the ST220 Modeo in europe puts out like 230hp.. not bad..

2003 Mustang Cobra
2003 G35 Sedan

Old 02-08-2003, 03:49 PM

The Modeo isn't available here. And I notice you mentioned the Skyline. Hmm....

Old 02-08-2003, 06:19 PM

But ford is an American company. And the duratec v6 is available in contours and tauris (hehe plural of taurus)...

and yea i did mention the skyline.. sorry i should have said GTR.. Im just making a point that just because a car uses forced induction does not make it less of a car.

2003 Mustang Cobra
2003 G35 Sedan

Old 02-08-2003, 06:55 PM

I'm not arguing that forced induction is bad, I'm just saying that American engines seem to need forced induction to keep up with naturally aspirated Japanese and European engines. GM has a 3.8L V6 that requires a supercharger just to hit 240HP. Infiniti jumps over that mark with a naturally aspirated 3.5L V6, and even Honda hits 240 with a 3.0L V6. Volvo has 2.7L I5 turbo that hits 247, and it's short 1.1L and a cylinder. Just wait and see what happens when Nismo starts offering forced induction goodies for the G35. It's kinda like soup.. doesn't really matter what you throw in there, if you don't start with a good base stock.

Old 02-08-2003, 07:28 PM

Who cares how a motor makes power? American manufactures put blowers on motors to save money. Supercharging is a less expensive way to make more power. Granted, the G35 makes a good amount of horses normally aspirated, in fact, more than it's direct competition. My point is that for the money, (let's say $35k) you can buy cars that are considerably quicker and faster, if that's you primary concern. You mention that American-made V6's don't make the power of the G35, but the car's that they are offered in don't cost $35k, either! If you have 35 grand to spend, you can buy a Mustang GT, or the late Camaro Z28 and run away from a G35. Those cars don't have all the reliability, comfort, or reverence of a car like the G, but all that goes out the window when you're at a stop light, and he's looking at you reving his engine. How well the G handles, resale value, and dealer perks amount to zero when that guy pulls away from you! You didn't answer my question? Have you ever driven a late model, American V8 powered sports car with a manual tranny?

Old 02-08-2003, 07:28 PM

Also why in the world would you compare a naturally aspirated engine against a forced induction? Especially a natural V6 to a supercharged V8. That's just ridiculous....think your mustang can take a NSX??

Red/Canadian

Old 02-08-2003, 08:13 PM

Those cars don't have all the reliability, comfort, or reverence of a car like the G... Beautifully said.

...but all that goes out the window when you're at a stop light, and he's looking at you reving his engine. Yup, he can pass everything but the gas station and the mechanic.

I don't think it goes out the window. Sure, the stoplight drag can be fun, but for 35k, the car better have some creature comforts for the daily commute. The Mustang is missing two doors, for my taste. The G35 is more enjoyable than the Mustang when there's NOT someone at the stoplight next to you, and all you have is yourself and your car, IMHO. And it does matter how they make the power.. exactly as you said, the American companies take the cheap way out. Plus, Infiniti invested a little of that money into the chassis and suspension, as well.

I went into my recent car purchase shopping for a Sports Sedan with 6 cylinders and 4 doors. I tried a CTS, TL Type-S, S60 T5, 330i, A4 3.0 CVT, and the G35. This car is my daily commuter as well as a toy, and I wanted a luxury brand as well. The BMW and Infiniti were my favorites, with the Volvo and Audi being good contenders. Ultimately, I picked the Infiniti over the BMW because it was bigger and less expensive. I don't want a car with just raw power, I want a balanced vehicle than handles well, also. No, I have not driven a V8 recently. I've owned some in the past. I've test driven a V12 once (BMW 850i - what a rush). I've driven manuals, but not with a V8. If I could afford it, I'd probably be in a 6-speed 540i. But with what I can afford, there's a lot more important to me than having a big V8. And I can have those things (and the horsepower) without the extra 2 cylinders.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:45 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Yup, he can pass everything but the gas station and the mechanic.

<hr></blockquote> Great. This is my all-time favorite cop-out. I'd like to hear the guy's response to you saying "yeah....well......I get better gas mileage!" after he finishes blowing your doors off. Things have really gone bad for you when you pull that one out off the bag after a race.<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I don't think it goes out the window. Sure, the stoplight drag can be fun, but for 35k, the car better have some creature comforts for the daily commute.

<hr></blockquote> Wait a minute. I thought we were discussing motors and horsepower and such. When I mention cars that cost less but are considerably faster than a G35, you start talking about "creature comforts." Now please don't get me wrong, I love my G35 , and believe it or not, I think we have more in common as far as why we both bought the car. My previous ride was a Z28, and trust me, speed-wise, bang for buck it couldn't be touched. But there comes a time when you want a little more "sophistication", and that's where the G35 comes in. IT IS a nice compromise for most, and like you, I have to have both a little speed and a little comfort. But the G is not perfect, and there are cars out there that are nicer than a G, and there are cars that are faster than a G. But I can't think of any that are both, for the same price. Maybe I can find a wrecked-salvage titled-stolen-black market-bootleg M5 someplace....

Old 02-09-2003, 01:21 AM

Bottom line is if we wanted to drag race we WOULD NOT have bought a G35 Sedan.... Its pointless to say the Mustang is better then a G35 because its faster off the line.... If I wanted something extreamly fast then I would get a street bike and smoke all the cars out there...

As far as just comparing cars, then yes the Mustang is a tad faster then the G35, but the Mustang is not as Prestigious, not as comfortable and does not have the sexy lines of the G35... as an overall car the G35 is way superior to the ageing Mustang....

Old 02-09-2003, 01:35 AM

"EdRedS (enthusiast)
02/08/03 04:28 PM

Also why in the world would you compare a naturally aspirated engine against a forced induction? Especially a natural V6 to a supercharged V8. That's just ridiculous....think your mustang can take a NSX??

Red/Canadian "

[censored] yes.. when it was stock it could take a NSX. come on man.. I wouldn't be scared until I heard a loud *** BOV coming from the back. A 500RWHP Turbo NSX is somethin worth a fight. Its a very sad excuse for an 80k sports car.

2003 Mustang Cobra
2003 G35 Sedan

Old 02-09-2003, 01:44 AM

My cobra isn't just a tad faster than my g35.. 4th gear acceleration is faster than the g in 1st gear..

Its also more enjoyable. The g is a luxury car. Its not "prestigious", it doesn't look better, and it doesn't have the heritage that the Cobra does. People dont come up to me and start talking to me about my G35. But it does get me from point A to point B, its a bit better on gas (seriously guys.. our 19 MPG in the city isn't anything to brag about), and it puts a little more "oomf" into daily commuting. I love the navigation, the reclining back seats, and so on but give credit where its due.

And for gods sake. Just because its American doesn't mean it breaks all the time.. I haven't had a problem yet.. It also corners better than the G. But what do you expect. Its in a different class.

edit:
" If I wanted something extreamly fast then I would get a street bike and smoke all the cars out there... "

http://www.svtperformance.com/~blades/cobravsbike.mpeg

stop assuming.. its not my car. but very similar in mods.

"It's kinda like soup.. doesn't really matter what you throw in there, if you don't start with a good base stock."

The 03 cobra has forged internals, iron block, lowered compression, FMIC, a strong tranny, a great fuel system. So its got a good base. A very good base..

People have been running 20+ psi safely. Although its not the best on the stock supercharger it can be done. One guy dyno'd at 736RWHP with nitrous.. the tires were spinning on the dyno. it was more like 800. They're calling these cars the next supras.. With just 2 grand in mods i got past 500 flywheel hp. Not bad..

To turbo our Gs safely we're going to be doing a lot of wrenching..

2003 Mustang Cobra
2003 G35 Sedan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. Mustang GT