G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dealership Uses Wrong ATF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership Uses Wrong ATF

I took my '03 G35 sedan (42,701 mi) to the local dealership for the auto trans flush, quoted price $220.99 plus tax.

I also wanted them to install Stoptech stainless braided brake lines that I purchased elsewhere and brought with me, and flush the brake system. As I learned later, this dealership has a policy of refusing to install non-OEM parts on critical systems such as brakes.

They call me to say the car is ready minus the brake lines/flush, so I come back and I am a second away from signing the repair order and paying the money when I notice "synthetic atf-3123" on the parts list. Nowhere does it say 12qts of Nissan Matic-J, which is the fluid called for.

I ask service writer, she says she'll find out, comes back to say that's the listing for the ATF used. More finding out, come to learn that the dealership uses the stuff at the bottom of this page: http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html The Service Manager says they use this same "universal" fluid in every car they flush.

By this time I'm debating the issue with the Service Manager. I tell him if he can show me in writing that this fluid meets the specs of Nissan Matic-J, I will shut up, pay, and go home. Of course, nowhere on the packaging or the BG Products web page is there a statement that says this stuff meets the specs of Matic-J fluid. There is some bloviating sales copy about how it's better than any OEM fluid, but no actual statements.

I tell Service Manager that I could have gotten a trans flush at Jiffy Lube for less than half of what he's charging me---I came to the dealer because I knew they were gonna use the right fluid. HA!

He says, OK, we'll reflush it and this time we'll use Matic-J, and charge you the difference in price between the BG fluid and the Matic-J (about $20). I say, OK, reflush, but I don't think I should pay an extra dime. He says OK.

Meantime I call Infiniti Consumer Affairs to get their take on the topic. When I first explained the situation, I told them that a local repair shop put the wrong fluid in. Immediately the rep says that Infiniti is not responsible for any problem with the trans caused by the wrong fluid. When I said, By the way, this local shop is the Infiniti Dealer, suddenly it was OK as long as they removed the wrong stuff and put Matic-J in. What a f-ing joke.

I come back the next day and they tell me they reflushed and this time they say they used Matic-J, 12 quarts. They cut about $60 off the price as a gesture of Good Will.

So the $64,000 question is, "What's in the Car, Matic-J or the BG fluid?" Did they really reflush it, or did they just park it in a different spot in the lot?

If you got a trans flush at Infiniti of Willow Grove, PA, what did you get, Matic-J as called for by the Warranty and the stickers under the hood, or did you get the BG Products universal fluid that does not meet Matic-J specs?

EDIT: The good news was that they had just received an '08 Coupe and it was on display. Looks nice!

Last edited by gwhiz35; 08-08-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
that sux.. u should've said u wanna watch them do it~~~

Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Well at least you got the $60 off and no warranty issue for using the wrong stuff. I wonder how important it is to use Nissan brand fluid anyway, and how much of the issue is forcing you to use overpriced products provided by their dealer service centers. Obviously the nissan/infiniti trained technicians don't feel it's an issue...

Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't think the techs have much say one way or the other in the decision about what fluid the dealership is going to use in the tranny flushing machine.

If the techs don't think the right fluid is being used, they can always (!) get a job at an Infiniti dealership that uses the right stuff.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by gwhiz35
I don't think the techs have much say one way or the other in the decision about what fluid the dealership is going to use in the tranny flushing machine.

If the techs don't think the right fluid is being used, they can always (!) get a job at an Infiniti dealership that uses the right stuff.
That wasn't my meaning, a certified nissan/infiniti service center with intimate knowledge and training on the car and its transmission doesn't think it matters at all. They could be retarded, or evil, but more likely I'd guess it doesn't really matter and they save a lot of money by not using matic J. If so, so can we (non warranteed folks anyway). Anyone out there know?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Agreed with you. Some mechanics out there definitely try to cut corners on car repairs in order to save time and pocket extra cash from the customers. Remember the Jiffy Lube shops in SoCal that were covered by reporters with hidden cameras and shown on local and national TV? Now that was a major hit

BTW gwhiz35, not that it relates to the topic at hand, but at 42,700 miles doesn't it seem kinda early to flush the tranny fluid? IIRC, every 30K miles with J-matic fluid refill/flush is reasonable maintenance for the transmission.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow that's some stuff.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I come back the next day and they tell me they reflushed and this time they say they used Matic-J, 12 quarts. They cut about $60 off the price as a gesture of Good Will.

So the $64,000 question is, "What's in the Car, Matic-J or the BG fluid?" Did they really reflush it, or did they just park it in a different spot in the lot?
Doesn't the Matic-J have a distinctive color(green or something)? Or am i thinking about the MTF manual transmission fluid?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Deezflip
Doesn't the Matic-J have a distinctive color(green or something)? Or am i thinking about the MTF manual transmission fluid?
no, J-matic is dark red in color, like most automatic transmission fluids. most MTF is just gear oil, its a clearish-yellowish color and has a distinctive smell.
-GP-

Old 08-08-2007, 04:27 PM
i needed some ATF for my G one time and I stopped BY the Nissan dealership in Shelby NC and they told me they had never heard of the Matic-J or I call it J-matic. I left the dealer in disbelief ! Dang, what do these guys use half the time?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
wow the dealerships you guys go to are definitely sub-par. I went to one and they refused to sell me anthing but matic-J after i told them I had a G35 and was wondering if they had cheaper alternatives that meat the standard. and that stuff is red.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait a minute, you actually paid 220 for a transmission flush. i thought my local dealership charged an arm and a leg for most basic procedures but i guess i was wrong. another reason why i plan on buying the fluid whether jmatic or synthetic equivalent that meets the specs of jmatic and doing it myself. just fyi, their machine may only accept 12 quarts but the capcaity is 10 7/8 quarts per the fsm.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Wowzers ...

I Think Il Do What Sloppymax Is Going To Do ..

Buy The Jmatic Myself And Do It Myself ..

I Dont Have Warranty .. =(

I Thought I Did ..

Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

This is true, the techs have say really in what fluid is being used. They are nissans "b!tches" if you will. They are told to do something and if they don't typically they are just fired while all the other guys play card games on the computer and get rich.

Here is the best thing to do...walk around the side of the building find a tech and say "hey, i will pay you your cost for "x" amount of matic J tranny fluid and give you 50 dollars to flush it" and i would bet my ***** that they say "ok".

Sean

Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
+1

Many techs do side work and get parts for a lot less.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealership Uses Wrong ATF