G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

4x4 service on AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
thats not exactly how the numbers work. if the system is 11qts and you drained out 4qt, put in 4 new qts yea thats like 36.7% or whatever, when you go do another 4, your also draining some new fluids as well, so its not like 2/3 new its more like 1/2 or so.

its still better thing nothing. like most say only way to get most of it out is with a machine flush because its pressurized and i think most require the car running.

if you do it the method in the DIY video's i would say 2 flushes the way he did it would be close to completely new, but it will require like 20qts.
Yup, you are correct. Atually, we will never know how much new fluid is after the second drain since by then the first set of new fluids are all mixed in.

I personally would do it twice and then call it a day and do it again in 2 yrs or 30k miles. The manual doesn't even call for atf drain at 4 yrs/30k miles so if you are doing it before that interval I think thats safe enough.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i would put it more or less on driving style then mileage or years.

if you do a lot of highway crusiing you can go longer since the trans isn't shifting or anything its pretty much in 5th and stays. if you do a lot of shifting in traffic and then go high RPM, which people do then you might need it more.

twice every 30k is good for more people.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Can't hurt to overmaintain people. $50 here and there for fluids is better than a whole new trans or diff.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:15 PM
What size allen wrench is needed for this? From the pics, it looks like i'll need an allen-headed socket to remove the plugs. Anyone know the size?

I want to try to tackle an oil change, both diffs and the xfer case this weekend, but want to make sure I have all the tools before I toss the car up on jackstands

EDIT: found the rear diff is 10mm HEX...can someone confirm if front diff and xfer case is same?

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-23-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
What size allen wrench is needed for this? From the pics, it looks like i'll need an allen-headed socket to remove the plugs. Anyone know the size?

I want to try to tackle an oil change, both diffs and the xfer case this weekend, but want to make sure I have all the tools before I toss the car up on jackstands

EDIT: found the rear diff is 10mm HEX...can someone confirm if front diff and xfer case is same?
Front Diff - 10mm hex

Transfer Case Drain - 1/2 rachet
Transfer Case Fill - 10mm hex

You'll need 3 gaskets (part #11026-4N200)

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ekend-diy.html

Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
You'll need 3 gaskets (part #11026-4N200)

Thx.

I watched a DIY on the rear diff fluid change and saw there were two gaskets just on the diff.

Where do i need the gaskets? WOuldn't i need 6 if i were to replace everything or did you just put them on the drains and leave the originals on the fills??

BTW, i am mechanically able...i just like to know beforehand what tools and parts I'll need and what problems to expect.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Thx.

I watched a DIY on the rear diff fluid change and saw there were two gaskets just on the diff.

Where do i need the gaskets? WOuldn't i need 6 if i were to replace everything or did you just put them on the drains and leave the originals on the fills??

BTW, i am mechanically able...i just like to know beforehand what tools and parts I'll need and what problems to expect.
My bad...I thought you were only doing front diff + trans. You only need 5 I think (at least that's how many I used). Two for front, two for rear and one for Trans. The Trans 1/2 rachet drain didn't have any gasket. The 10mm hex fill had a gasket.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Thx.

I'm going to attempt to do the front diff, the rear diff and the transfercase along with an oil change on Sunday.

I guess it all depends on the weather too.

So i'll take a trip over to Nissan/Infiniti in the AM and pick up 5 of those gaskets and pick up a 10mm Hex socket....and see if i can find a good fluid pump.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Thx.

I'm going to attempt to do the front diff, the rear diff and the transfercase along with an oil change on Sunday.

I guess it all depends on the weather too.

So i'll take a trip over to Nissan/Infiniti in the AM and pick up 5 of those gaskets and pick up a 10mm Hex socket....and see if i can find a good fluid pump.
I went to Infiniti and they had to order the gaskets. Not sure about Nissan dealer.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, i did the front and rear differential and oil change today.

Diffs were easy. I could prob do it again in half the time now.

Front differential was clean @46K miles. FLuid was still clear and yellow. Rear diff was a brown color, so it was def due for a change. Both drail plugs had tons of crap stuck to the magnets. I'll prob redo the diff @ 30K again, but go a little longer on the front diff because at nearly 50K miles, it looked like brand new fluid coming out.

I didn't do the transfer case because I wasn't sure i could refill it after I drained. My pump didn't look like it would work on the ATF bottles.

Plus, i was going to use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF instead of the Matic-D, but then thought about it. Maybe i'll go with Matic-D instead, but the guys over on bobistheoilguy.com say to use the Mobil 1.

What methods did you use to fill the transfer case?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, i did the front and rear differential and oil change today.

Diffs were easy. I could prob do it again in half the time now.

Front differential was clean @46K miles. FLuid was still clear and yellow. Rear diff was a brown color, so it was def due for a change. Both drail plugs had tons of crap stuck to the magnets. I'll prob redo the diff @ 30K again, but go a little longer on the front diff because at nearly 50K miles, it looked like brand new fluid coming out.

I didn't do the transfer case because I wasn't sure i could refill it after I drained. My pump didn't look like it would work on the ATF bottles.

Plus, i was going to use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF instead of the Matic-D, but then thought about it. Maybe i'll go with Matic-D instead, but the guys over on bobistheoilguy.com say to use the Mobil 1.

What methods did you use to fill the transfer case?
So they actually carry the gaskets in Nissan?

I used a siphon pump I bought from harbor freight. Each end has a 1/2 size tube about 3 ft long. I am on my blackberry now so I can't show you the pic. I used Matic D for transfer.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
So they actually carry the gaskets in Nissan?

Nope, had to order.

I just reused the old ones. I'll check periodically for leaks, but i've been reusing the gasket on my oil pan plug for at least 7 oil changes and it's been dry as a bone. I should prob pick up a pack of those as that won't last forever

The diffs were easy as pie. My A/C belt is cracked as hell, so i'm gonna order up a new one and prob do the belts and transfer case my next oil change in 3000 miles. I'll be doing that one in a friends garage.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-25-2009 at 05:48 PM.