Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
i think you had the G35 confused with the Acura TL's

they have a whole block of people lined up telling you their tranny sucks @ss

Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by G Sedan
i think you had the G35 confused with the Acura TL's

they have a whole block of people lined up telling you their tranny sucks @ss
funny you should mention that... I love Honda cars, but after their denial for my tranny replacement at 65k miles, I vowed to never buy their cars again (at least automatics).

Their transmission is not designed to handle anything over 200hp.. name a honda car with over 200hp and no tranny problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
werd. I've got 83k on my car and have relatively no problems. Every now and then it shifts a bit hard from 4th to 5th at around 42mph. Not a major thing though...

Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 03 5AT, 70K miles and it is starting to shift hard when cold, also getting some engine (valve?) clatter too. Once it warms up it's fine. Just missed the powertrain warranty!!!! Had the 60K mile service done at Westside Inifinti in Houston at 62K.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 PM
idk i just got my car back from infiniti of scottsdale and from what i heard they had to do a transmission oil flush and whatnot and somehow my center console got replaced? and what happened was that it was burning up transmission oil? so wtf?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Possible Tranny Problem!

I went to a concert last night and was idling uphill in line for parking.(venue was up on a mountain) When I got to park, which was then on a decline, I put my car in park, let go of the brakes and the car started rolling!!! Freaked out and put on the emergency brakes. Stepped out of the car and smelled something burning....Transmission problems?!????
Left the concert early, and the car started and drove fine on the way home...i think.

Do you guys still think I need to take it to the shop? Other useful info:

it's a 06 Infiniti G35x with 53k miles (I know, I drive far for work). I just had the rear brake installed 3 weeks ago. Does this have anything to do with the problem???

Thanks guys!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
135K miles and NO ISSUES so far

i have only heard of a issues with turbos and valve body upgrades for the transmission

Old 11-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jlu71
I went to a concert last night and was idling uphill in line for parking.(venue was up on a mountain) When I got to park, which was then on a decline, I put my car in park, let go of the brakes and the car started rolling!!! Freaked out and put on the emergency brakes. Stepped out of the car and smelled something burning....Transmission problems?!????
Left the concert early, and the car started and drove fine on the way home...i think.

Do you guys still think I need to take it to the shop? Other useful info:

it's a 06 Infiniti G35x with 53k miles (I know, I drive far for work). I just had the rear brake installed 3 weeks ago. Does this have anything to do with the problem???

Thanks guys!
An auto tranny car is always going to roll a bit when parking on an in/decline. It's just free-rolling until the next tooth on the gear catches, which is when it "parks". If you smell something burning I would advise you to figure out whats burning...immediately.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
well, i understand what you're saying about how it will normally roll when parked on a decline. The thing is, it went a good 3/4 revolution before catching...and probably more had i not applied the emergency brakes.

hopefully this burning thing is covered under my warranty still!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
03 LR Coupe - 34k miles and no issues , KNOCK ON WOOD !

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hit this thread because I had a worrisome moment or two driving home today. I have an 03 AT Coupe, idling on highway around 67mph and the tranny felt as though it disengaged then re-engaged. Freaked me out. It's been a solid car for sure with just over 96K but I'm thinking transmission fluid flush & change. (I can't afford a new transmission) any ideas on what might cause this?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You probably just felt the transmission go in and out of full lock up of the torque converter. Did the car actually change gears? When the TQ locks the RPMs go down slightly because the engine and trans are fully mated. Fresh fluid probably will help. Make sure the level is correct and it's still red. Burnt red or black is not a good sign.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by miltoda
You probably just felt the transmission go in and out of full lock up of the torque converter. Did the car actually change gears? When the TQ locks the RPMs go down slightly because the engine and trans are fully mated. Fresh fluid probably will help. Make sure the level is correct and it's still red. Burnt red or black is not a good sign.

Thanks for the reply.
Didn't switch gears. Just felt like it slipped out and re engaged. I had the dealership check the car out when i bought it but they missed a ton of stuff (like the broken brake caliper bolt on R Rear & the rusted solid guide bolts on the L rear calipers, front R strut blown, etc...) so i pretty much do lots of research and take to where i know the work will get done right.
When i get home tonight I'll check the fluid to determine what and where its at (color, smell, & level). From there I'll likely just get it changed because i have no idea when the previous owner had it fine (if ever).
I'll update the thread for those who have similar experiences.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a problem with the 06-07 Auto. There is even a TSB on it. At slower speeds and especially uphills it will shudder until you either go faster or force it to 4th gear manually. Unfortunately, I moved to Japan and the dealers here told me they couldn't help me. Wish I knew what the actual fix is for it...

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Pse your back!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 AUTO transmission problem??