G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Shift Indicator/Shift Mechanism/Console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing that episode of Seinfeld where he figures out that everything balances out (money, courtesy, friendships, bad attitudes, etc). Since then, I've tried to take a more measured approach to life (something I haven't always done).

The real test would be to put me in charge of $10 million in cash and leave me alone with it for a couple of weeks... What WOULD I do?

I'm thrilled to have found this forum, that's for sure!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Shift Assembly Doesn't Light

Originally Posted by CLyons0203
Take the car to the dealer and said it broke. They may replace it under warranty if they dont noticed you had best buy install some stuff.

My light in the shifter went out, they told me they had to replace the whole unit, couldnt replace just the bulb. I got a whole new unit, including ***, boot, trim piece........all for one bad bulb

Just bought a 2004 G35 sedan with 79k miles, so I'm guessing I'm out of warranty options. The gear indicator light on the shift assembly doesn't light up, and this is a pain at night. Do I have to buy a whole assembly for $300, or do I have options?

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by sourcepro
Hey Guys,

During the process of installing an XM unit for my 06 G35 Sedan (AT 2WD), one of the guys at Best Buy messed something up on my shifter.

I apologize for not using proper terminology, but basically here's a pic (borrowed from another post) to help:

The top portion (the shift indicator) is now separating from the overall console below it (the part that houses the hazard switch and ash tray).

Also, after removing the shift ****, then pulling out the assembly (like the one in the pic above), I could hear a plastic piece rattling around and the shift indicator practically slops around on top of the main piece (nearly separating completely).

Everything is functional, but the orange indicator (the bright orange piece that visually shows you what gear your in at the shifter) is torn, etc.

What do you guys recommend? The top (shift indicator, #4 in the diagram below) and then a piece (#5 in the diagram below) sandwich around the main console portion.

I think I need both #4 and #5 (from diagram above). I guess I could order the entire assy (#3) but I think that runs around $400 and I really don't need the entire thing (I want it fixed right, but I also want to be fair to Best Buy as well. The XM installation works fine and they only charged me $45 for labor). It looks like they were trying to pry off #4 above, instead of removing the entire assy as a unit.

Has anyone had to replace this piece (or these pieces) before? Even though it's an '06, there's less than 12K miles on the car and I'd really like to get things back together properly.

Any assistance is appreciated......

By the way, here's a pic of the vehicle (pretty plain, but a much needed upgrade over the 94 4cyl Camry I WAS driving!)

Thanks,

Patric
What did you end up doing? I am facing this same problem and it sucks.....I have a JVC Navigation receiver and I tried to add a cable to the back of it for traffic information and putting back all the pieces together I found out that the shifter orange indicator gets stuck on the N now. I tried fixing it and sliding it, but it wont go further!.....I am afraid I need to face the dealer, my car is still under warranty with 100$ deductible, but would they get that part under warranty? If not, how can I fix it? My car has wood trim around, so I dont want to lose that trim!....

Help!!!