G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 learns our driving style ??!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 learns our driving style ??!!

I understood (please correct me if I'm wrong) that our car adapts to our driving style. If this is true, for the break-in period when most of us drive with care (no more than 4k RPM), it must think that we're soft, and I believe I saw some posting about some of you guys disconnecting the battery to reset the learning curve.

Is this true ? So, if I "teach" my car with smooth driving, would it be less aggresive in accelerating than somebody else's G35 which was "taught" hard driving ?? How long does it take to re-learn and do I need to "kill" it just to let it know that I need power ??!!

I'm not an aggresive driver by nature, but when required by the situation (330i sightings !) I'd like to have maximum power; so according to this "learning" stuff, if I'm a cruise/coast type driver, but occasionally I need the mighty G35 power, it could just say ... "forget about it !". The 330i will dust me like there's no tomorrow and I'll be pissed BIG time !

So, what's the deal here ?

Old 03-05-2003, 02:04 AM
Re: G35 learns our driving style ??!!

I'm glad I bought the 6MT now

I think the learning feature really only applys to moderate acceleration, if you smash the pedal your going to get 100% of the power regardless of what the car has learned from your driving habits. But as someone has mentioned you can just disconnect your battery for 10-15 mins and then rehook it up. Should clear the chips memory.

Just be glad you don't have a Honda, its stupid CPU will detune your car if it senses engine mods.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 AM

traian:
I drive like you do. Not too much racing or pedal stomping, but I like to know it is there when I need it.
Will the car "learn" to drive timidly? I am babying it during the break-in.

[b][i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport

Old 03-05-2003, 06:24 PM

If in doubt throw it into "manumatic" that's what it's there for.

Red/Canadian

Old 03-05-2003, 06:41 PM

Yeah...I had the same question...I know people on here have said that if you disconnect the battery for a certain amount of time that it will reset the "learning" that's taken place.

And I also realized today after driving my old accord for the first time in months why everyone was complaining about he throttle lag. The honda seemed to have an immediate reaction to my foot on the pedal...almost a bit jerky. I don't have that problem w/ my G and I'm assuming it's because I was taking it very easy on her during the break-in period and that's what it "learned."
Has anyone reset their computer and noticed a difference in throttle response...???

Old 03-05-2003, 07:10 PM

I have read that the G learns the driving style.. If you dont oknw how it has learned your driving style I would just disconnect the battery for the requird time to reset the data adn give it a try again... no hurt in trying

..pestilence..

Old 03-05-2003, 07:55 PM

Hey Dan, actually you have to unhook your battery for about 12 hours so atleast over night. This is not speaking from experience as I do not have my coupe yet, but from several posts in the past. They all said to disconnect the battery for 12 hours and you should see a difference.

Old 03-05-2003, 10:43 PM

On my prelude I only had to do it for about 10 mins. just untill all the juice was gone from all the components. If you need to do it for 12 hours, then there must be some sort of backup power supply that lasts for 12 hours.

I don't see how this learning process is going to make that big of a difference. I mean it just shifts at a lower RPM if it thinks you are a kick back driver, and an few hundred RPM's higher if it thinks your an aggresive driver. And this really only happens when your cruising at 1/4-1/2 throttle. If you floor it, its going to shift close to red line everytime regardless of what type of driver it thinks you are.

peronsaly I wouldn't worry about it. But then again I have a 6MT

Old 03-06-2003, 12:53 AM

Like Dan said, personnally, I wouldn't worry about it . I don't think cause you've babied your car, you don't have power anymore. But before I bought my G I was shopping for an Audi that have the same feature of learning your "driving personnality" and the salesman tells me that the algorythm is based on the last 40 minutes of driving experience and it's constantly adjusting. So no need to unplugged the battery.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:03 AM

So, it looks like there is some truth to this driving style learning ! Does anyone know for sure what is the learning reset procedure (I haven't seen any official document on it). Is disconnecting the battery the only way and if so, for how long (I've seen different opinions on this) ?

Does this learning affect the manumatic as well, in the sense that, it may lean towards a softer rather than a crisper shifting algorithm (so you shift but the tranny lags and does it in a smooth, slower, civilized way rather than a faster, sportier, more abrupt way) ?

Maybe it's not such a big deal, but it's interesting how we crave for tenths of a second in a 0-60mph sprint, and yet, this learning style which could add substantial time to our 0-60 record is not talked about too much and almost not at all officially (by Infiniti).

Anyway, thanks for your responses so far !

Old 03-06-2003, 01:34 AM

I think Infiniti figures that the majority of people who buy automatics are not to concern with there 0-60 times

It will not affect the shifting in manual mode, it only affects it in automatic mode. That said, when I test drove a automatic G35, I did notice lag in manual mode when you shift and when the car actually makes the shift. But this is done by design and not because the car thinks you drive like an 80 year old

Old 03-06-2003, 03:27 AM

This is a darn good topic...
Does anyone know if there is a chip, or an adjustment that can be made to the computer that could fix the delay when shifting in manumatic?
It sounds like this delay has been fixed in the FX45. One review directly mentioned the improvement over the G.
One more thing on shifting. It seems to me when in drive that second gear has a short rev range. Again, I have not really driven the car hard, but the tranny does not spend much time at all in second gear. It shifts from second to third pretty quickly (again, not a lot of throttle). Does this make sense?

[b][i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport

Old 03-06-2003, 09:51 AM

i noticed the same thing with BoneDaddy, and also when i use manumatic, shifting from first to second gear doesn't lower the rpm that much, that is when i am driving slowly.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is supposed to jump from second to third quickly under low throttle. The engine has enough low-end torque to deal with it, and it's a gas-saving move by the computer when you're not heavy-footed.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-06-2003, 10:14 PM

If you drive hard and take your G on a long highway trip then when you get back you should notice that the car feels 'sluggish' for a few days. Unless Infiniti has changed their learning system I doubt there is any -need- to disconnect the battery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 learns our driving style ??!!