G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Switching to regular

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching to regular

OK, filled up today at $2.20 a gallon. Starting a new job with a longer (more traffic filled) commute.

With gas prices rising and my commute getting slower, I was thinking about 87 octane.

Questions:

Would an ECU reset be helpful when switching to 87?

Would it hurt the car to alternate between 87 and 93 (say a tank of 93 every 3rd or 4th fillup)? Would there be any benefit to this?

How long does it take the computer to adjust when switching to regular?

Any members experience with regular gas and switching back and forth between regular and high test is much appreciated.....

Old 05-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Switching to regular

I've been running 87 in my sedan with no noticeable change in power or economy for the last few months.

Would an ECU reset be helpful when switching to 87?
It doesn't matter when going down. However, I've heard that eventually the ECU will go into a permanent timing-retard mode after running 87 for awhile, and you may have to reset the ECU when you decide to jump back up to premium in every tank.

Would it hurt the car to alternate between 87 and 93 (say a tank of 93 every 3rd or 4th fillup)? Would there be any benefit to this?
No. No.

How long does it take the computer to adjust when switching to regular?
Less time than it takes you to blink. The knock sensors pick up pre-detonation as soon as it happens, and the computer pulls back the timing, and you never even notice it.

Old 05-15-2004, 01:36 AM

Check your owner's manual, it talks about using different octanes.

Old 05-15-2004, 08:35 AM

Thanks ryoken.

I guess the change in economy will be $3 less per fill up. I actually saw premium at a local Exxon yesterday for $2.33 per gallon. OUCH.....

Old 05-15-2004, 01:00 PM

Super just broke $2 per gallon here in NJ. Can't give it up yet.

2K4 G35x/Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Wood
Stillen Hi-Flow/ Z tube/ Ground Kit
Coming soon...Crawford v5

Old 05-15-2004, 02:26 PM

aaahhh... $2.33/premium... those were the days [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I expect we'll be at $2.75 to $3 by summer here in Los Angeles

-T

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-15-2004, 03:15 PM

In LA, theres only 3 places to get gas:
76: San Gabriel Blvd and Mission
Chevron: San Gabriel Blvd and Missin
76: Atlantic and ... shoot i forgot the crossstreet, but its between Huntington and Valley somewhere.

cheapest gas in town. even cheaper than Arco.

and guys, i personally wouldnt risk running lower octane gas for risk of knocking.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/JWTpopcharger+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 05-15-2004, 03:32 PM

Using lower octane fuel, just don't run it fast; engine doesn't like pings.

Old 05-15-2004, 03:33 PM

I paid $2.55/gallon yesterday for Shell 91 in NorCal.

Old 05-15-2004, 04:31 PM

Sorry about the caps, this is a cut and paste and I'm not gonna go in and change all of that. Do whatever you please, but I am sending this out to as many people as possible and will not buy gas that day. It can't hurt to send a message.

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR behind " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Old 05-15-2004, 05:49 PM

This same message gets sent out everytime gas prices go up. Works for sh*t. On May 20th, gas prices will still be up. Think of it from this perspective....if no one buys gas, they will raise prices to recover revenue. Either way, we will eventually need their fuel...

Old 05-15-2004, 06:09 PM

Eventually we'll be like the movie Mad Max...gas is getting out of control.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:55 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I actually saw premium at a local Exxon yesterday for $2.33 per gallon. OUCH....

<hr></blockquote> I just filled up the Expedition yesterday with 87 for $2.33/gal. Funny.

That "don't buy gas" thing, if it actually could be organized, would only hurt the independent gas station owners, it wouldn't hurt the big oil companies - as you'd still have to go fill up in a couple of days -- everyone would, and at the end of the month there would be no change to how much gas was sold. You'd have to get everyone to hold off buying gas for a month before they'd notice, and even then they can afford to hold out longer than you can.

xswl0931: The owner's manual doesn't talk much about octanes, it just says that 87 is okay for the sedan but expect reduced performance, and 87 should only be used in emergencies for the coupe (put in as little as needed to get to a place with 91 and fillup ASAP).

Old 05-16-2004, 12:57 PM

I can't switch because 87 octane is all I burn in my G35s. 17,000 miles now with no ill effects. Any difference in real life running are too small to notice. I never run it over 90 mph... OK, never over 100.

Some people say this will cause it to ping. I say BS. If it ever pings the knock sensor(s) will detect it right away and adjust the timing so fast you'll never hear it.

Old 05-16-2004, 01:57 PM

Exactly. The only people that might not be able to run 87 are those that have done moderate to major engine modifications.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switching to regular