G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I am going to go with the Responce edge.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Bimmerman
I think I am going to go with the Responce edge.
Again, speaking from personal experience, the Responsedge is silent on asphalt, even at higher freeway speeds.

But you (rather your wife) may hear a droning noise on newly grooved concrete road.

I endorse these tires wholeheartedly.

Don't forget to get your rebate forms from the shop.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i hope you know most 17's are about 100$ each so thats $400 + 50 install 100$ alignment.

$550 installed... so your paying $700, i dont know what GY go for but just seems like a lot more then normal.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
personally, i have had horrible experiences w/ goodyears on my previous two cars; almost every tire the thread wore unevenly; a defect from the manufacturer. i've enjoyed my potenzas so far. also had bridgestones on my 17s and they were good to the end, too. good luck

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
you know what will make those 235's look better?

A drop

somehow I dont think your whiny wife would like that either.......women are so hard to please sometimes

Good luck with your find bro.....goodyear Eagle Gt's are pretty high performance.....have you considered they might be a bit overkill for your wife's car? I doubt she'll put these tires to good use. Maybe you should find a quiet tire that has excellent treadwear......that may fit her needs better.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i hope you know most 17's are about 100$ each so thats $400 + 50 install 100$ alignment.

$550 installed... so your paying $700, i dont know what GY go for but just seems like a lot more then normal.
I believe OP said Dealer/ Goodyear was swapping the tires out. That implies the only additional cost would be any increase in the tire price over what was originally installed.

No charge for re-mounting and balancing.

Insofar as Goodyears being expensive I guess that's why they are top rated tires by UK's AutoCAR Magazine. (The F1 Assymetric).

If Goodyears are so bad why are they specified as OEM tires on Corvette Z-06s, Ferrari F430 Scuderias, Ford GTs?

Tire design had nothing to do with the performance specifications for these cars.

Overall tire behavior and performance is so subjective. Just one pothole or a couple of drifting slides can easily put a tire out of round.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I run Goodyears on two vehicles and love em. I've never had a problem with Goodyears, but I've also tried quite a few other brands as well. The higher end Goodyears have always performed excellently for me.

She might be happier with a 225/50. That's what I run in the summer on Eagle F1 GS-D3s. I also have Goodyear Fortera TripleTreads on our SUV.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
get some goodyear F1 all seasons. Best tire ive had for any road condition.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by athens
I believe OP said Dealer/ Goodyear was swapping the tires out. That implies the only additional cost would be any increase in the tire price over what was originally installed.

No charge for re-mounting and balancing.

Insofar as Goodyears being expensive I guess that's why they are top rated tires by UK's AutoCAR Magazine. (The F1 Assymetric).

If Goodyears are so bad why are they specified as OEM tires on Corvette Z-06s, Ferrari F430 Scuderias, Ford GTs?

Tire design had nothing to do with the performance specifications for these cars.

Overall tire behavior and performance is so subjective. Just one pothole or a couple of drifting slides can easily put a tire out of round.
I never said anything bad about GY. I would say they are more pricey compared to others but thats about it. I never had them so i cant say anything. tirerack gives you a list of installers and most of them will remove and remount another set of tires on there if you want them to. A lot of those places charge $20 for tire to be installed in the first place. so his price would be about $600 or so.

In regards to your statement on tires installed on cars as far as factory goes. A lot of people would rate the stock bridgestones that come stock on our G's to be very low. But that doesn't mean they stink at making tires. Every company has a different set of tires for a different purpose. For some on here they are looking for budget performance if anything. hence why the toko and yoko tires are $100 each would fit their needs a little more.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
I never said anything bad about GY. I would say they are more pricey compared to others but thats about it. I never had them so i cant say anything. tirerack gives you a list of installers and most of them will remove and remount another set of tires on there if you want them to. A lot of those places charge $20 for tire to be installed in the first place. so his price would be about $600 or so.

In regards to your statement on tires installed on cars as far as factory goes. A lot of people would rate the stock bridgestones that come stock on our G's to be very low. But that doesn't mean they stink at making tires. Every company has a different set of tires for a different purpose. For some on here they are looking for budget performance if anything. hence why the toko and yoko tires are $100 each would fit their needs a little more.
Sorry about that. I think I read another post ripping on the GY, without qualification, so I lumped the response to their criticism in my clarification to you.

The price of the Goodyear tires was moot because the OP had little choice in the matter. To be able to return the tires to Goodyear under the satisfaction guarantee he had to accept another Goodyear product as replacements. At least Goodyear would pick up the mounting and balancing fee. Fortunately, with applicable rebates, the replacement tires he chose would only cost some 10% more.

A lot of us G35 owners (many of us who bought these new) prefer a good reputable grand touring tire over a budget performance tire. With an extensive dealer network to back up and service the product. We remember how the car felt and drove at mile 10 and we want to keep them that way.

When tires are the only contact between the car and the road IMO you don't want to go cheap. Funny how many contributors on this forum want to spend $1000s on BBKs, coil overs, and wheels but want to cheap out when it comes to tires.

While I have nothing against Kumhos or Hankooks, many who would only spend for Kumhos or Hankooks will cringe when they see a G35 on a dealer lot that is fitted with those same tires, thinking "The dealer slapped on some less expensive tires when the car came stock with Michelin Pilots or Goodyear Eagle."

Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I wonder how OP's wife is liking these new tires... in the end thats all the matters regardless of money spent.