G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Well I'll give my Unbiased review on the Legacy. As I've been considering both, and have decided on a 2005 G35x w/ Premium Package arriving in October.

But, my buddy who works as a business manager at a Subaru dealer in Toronto, allowed me to do an extensive (2 hour) test drive of the Legacy GT Limited. The vehicle I drove was the fully loaded, Turbo version in Auto (Tiptronic). I chose to drive the Auto, as my G35x will be Auto, it would make for a fair comparison.

My impressions of the Legacy:
- Suspension is amazingly well tuned, taking turns at various speeds I never felt insecure. (Even with crappy Potenza RE92 Tires)
- Very little body roll.
- Minimal turbo lag, unlike the WRX.
- Power is very smooth, very linear, not V6 / V8 smooth but very commendible for a 2.5 B4!
- The engine will be VERY modible(sp?) due to its turbo nature.
- I felt VERY safe in the vehicle, even at high speeds.
- Brakes do an amazing job of stopping the car, with minimal fade. Brake feel is not spongy, nor is it over aggressive.
- The way the engine sounds is beautiful ... Subaru did a good job of this, it "sounds" more powerful than the STi!
- I'm 100% sure it will keep up with the G35, if not even edge it out by a little due to its light weight.
- Faster than its stablemate the WRX.
- Interior is simple a little boring, but quality, fit and finish is on par with the G35. Not as 'nice' looking but its just as well made. (Except for the Gauges, with the full 'sweep")

Overall its a very good car ... Yes, it does not have as much prestige or 'brand image' as the G35, but its definitely on par in terms of performance.

I decided on the G35x, on a few reasons ... one being I'm a sucker for all its luxury! If I'm paying the amount for it, I better get my HIDs, my HomeLink, my reclining rear seats, my steering wheel controlled audio, and my "Bling" that the G35x has that the Legacy does not.

Second reason ... I cannot live without a VQ engine, as I currently have a 2001 Maxima 20th Anniversary, and a 2002 Pathfinder SE!

2001 Nissan Maxima SE "20th Anniversary Edition", "Icelandic Pearl White"
| 235/45/17 Potenza RE950s | Cone Intake /w Custom Ram Air | KVR Brake Pads | FSTB | Clear Corners |

Old 07-07-2004, 07:59 AM

Good choice now just put a couple mods on the G and see what fun can really be had. The turbo prob makes the subbie pretty quick but from a roll i wonder if it's quicker. It's still a buzzy motor and the VQ while possibly slower is much more fun around town.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 07-07-2004, 08:21 AM

Re: Empz - "Overall its a very good car ... Yes, it does not have as much prestige or 'brand image' as the G35, but its definitely on par in terms of performance.

I decided on the G35x, on a few reasons ... one being I'm a sucker for all its luxury! If I'm paying the amount for it, I better get my HIDs, my HomeLink, my reclining rear seats, my steering wheel controlled audio, and my "Bling" that the G35x has that the Legacy does not." -- Empz

...Although I never seen, driven, nor had any interest in the Subaru Legacy GT, my main points in previous posts were similar to Empz's (who spent some time driving this Subaru), and I got reamed for saying what's evident...performance-wise, it seems like a great, fast and stable car (which maybe as fast or faster than the G35), but the Subaru doesn't have HIDs, a Navi system, Sat Radio, and just isn't at the same luxury level at the Infiniti. Sales numbers will confim what people think in the next 12 months or so. I still have yet to see this Subaru on the road.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/07/04 05:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Re: I came from a Cobb tuning modified '02 WRX..

[soG35] - But its exterior size is far far behind a G35. [/soG35]

The G35 is indeed bigger, but not really by much....

Exterior
0.3 inches longer
0.9 inches wider
1.6 inches taller
0.3 inches more front track
0.8 inches more rear track
0.6 foot larger turning circle
242 pounds heavier

Interior - front
2.6 inches more headroom
0.5 inches less legroom

Interior - rear
0.6 inches more headroom
0,3 inches less legroom

Interior - overall
2.4 cubic feet more room

Trunk
0.4 cubic foot bigger

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 07-07-2004, 03:04 PM

I'm quite surprised by those measurements, but from just looking at the commericals the new Legacy looks about the size of a 3 series.

anyway, if performance is #1 in your priority list i guess the Legacy is a good choice for a sedan. But i just can't see myself spending close to $30K for a subaru.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:08 PM

Interesting to see how this thread has evolved. It started out as a request to compare the two vehicles, morphed into "but'll never be an Infiniti and now "it's a better performing car if that's all you care about".

I think the point of many people who have responded is take a look and think out of the box. Infiniti was once on the outside looking in regarding being taken seriously in the SPORTS sedan marketplace. Now a new car enters the zone and the status will "just never live up to what I own"? I've said it before that this is exactly what the BMW crowd was saying when the G35 came out.

soG35 -

How do you seriously comment on the size of a car that you have never seen in anything but a commercial? How can a vehicle that is 10 inches longer than another (186 for both the G35 and GT vs. 176 for 3 series) be perceived as "about the same size"?
The G35 is considered a sports sedan correct? Did it win the C+D comparo because of it's styling, features and supposed bling factor? No it won because it was at the top of almost all of the performance categories and it had some of the others as well. Why would you totally discount this aspect of the GT?

At what point did the G35 turn into a $40,000 car?

BSGoren - What do sales figures have to do with how good a car is? Say for instance, the G35 sells 25,000 and the GT only 20,000. This proves that the G35 is a better car? Is the Corvette a better car than a Ferrari 360 or 911 because it outsells them? Is the Mustang GT a better car than the Corvette because it outsells it? What happens, heaven forbid, that the GT outsells the G35????

The G35 is a very nice car for the money, but even C+D said if the BMW had more power it would have won hands down. I even believe that the 3 outsells the G35 (and I'm sure the Leg GT) so it must be a better car.

I have never once bashed the G35. I simply asked for feedback on the two. I appreciate all of the unbiased feedback to this point but I am still waiting to get answers to the following questiosn that I posted long ago in this thread;

A few questions.

Do the owners in the northern climes switch over to snow tires for the winter months or do you stay with the stock all seasons? I have heard mixed reports on this and was curious if the traction control system (not available on the GT) can get you through.

For auto-xing and track days. Do you leave the VDC on or off during your events? Does it kick in later than normal to allow more spirited driving or does it come on early to save you from yourself. The GT doesn't have a stability control package which I think is a big plus for when my wife is driving the car.

The 04's now come with improved brake materials. Has this solved the wear problems that Infiniti was covering under warranty. Haven't read anything recently on this front and wanted to get some feedback from newer owners.

Thank you.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:26 PM

I don't know about anybody else, but my G35 Sedan, loaded with all the options had an MSRP of $38k, which is a lot closer to a "$40k car" that Aqcats mentioned than a $30k Subaru. No, I didn't pay $38k, but the G35 only has one engine and doesn't begin at $21k like the Subaru Legacy either. It also has some upscale features such as a really nice Navi system, HID headlights, XM/Sirius Sat Radio, reclining rear seats, and a high resale value. The Subaru does not (not yet anyway).

As far as sales figures go, I was speaking about pure popularity, which again, is based on consumers perceptions of quality, features, status, and value. Aqcats analogies are ridiculous...just b/c I see 1 Ferrari for 50 Corvettes on the road doesn't make the Corvette a better car, but the Vette's power and price does make it a more affordable sportscar than the Ferrari, hence it's much more popular and it outsells the Ferrari by a very wide margin. Which would I rather drive? Do I even have to answer that question? ;-) Actually, come to think of it, I would rather drive my G35 than a Chevy Corvette, and my G35 is about $15k less. It is my perception that my Infiniti G35 is a higher quality car and won't fall apart after a couple years. Besides, my G35 doesn't come with the "balding 55-year-old man in a midlife crisis yearning to regain his youth and prowess" stigma that the Vette has attached to it. I hope I didn't offend anyone with a Vette or anyone who's balding; not my intention...sorry ;-)

Anyway, Aqcats should face one fact...Subarus just aren't that popular. They definitely sell more in the NE and in other areas where it snows (and all-wheel drive is needed), but the Japanese and German near-lux and lux vehicles are much more popular (at least in the USA anyway). Maybe it's because they just look like all the other cars on the road (except now some Subies have more power and a hood air scoop...hello, BoyRacer!!!! ;-) or maybe it's because they're mostly 4 cyl. (and some turbo) econoboxes that resemble as someone said..."a souped up Corolla." Whatever the reason, I seriously doubt any Subrau will outsell and be more popular than any Infiniti for a few years to come. Although Aqcats didn't bash the G35 (since he still deciding whether or not to get one), he did bash some of us who drive a G35, and G35Driver.com is not the proper place to do this.

One final thought...I'm sure this new Subaru Legacy GT is a good car (and I think we've all concluded that it's fast...yes, it's a fast car...ok, we get it), but it still lacks a few ammenities, good looks, and a luxury (or even near-luxury) brand name perception to bring it up to the level of Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, MB, and Audi..."not that there's anything wrong with that," as Jerry Seinfeld says. ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/08/04 07:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-09-2004, 08:01 AM

They look like a tsx and a old protege' combined into a morphed 4 cylinder 21k car that will prob drive fast and handle great. Sound like the tsx the madza 6 the honda accord and several others (2 series...). Not exactly a groundbreaking car IMO. Will it sell and do well - sure. Different car class and meant to be that way. All car classes are bigger so the Subbie is just evololving in size like it's competitiors.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 PM

I test drove a GT Legacy today, and came away with several impressions from it. It is a fast car, no doubt about it! Feels on par with the G in terms of acceleration, but no way to tell without side-by-side comparos. The interior was very well constructed and Subaru definately took the time to build this car right. I agree that it is a bit boring inside, and the materials seemed no better (or worse) than those of the G: smilar painted plastic dash pieces, etc. I could instantly notice that I wasn't "wowed" by any neato gadgets or features inside. This model didn't have a sunroof, but I sat in one with leather and sunroof, and it wasn't on the same luxury level as the G. The dash display, especially at startup, is something I really liked a lot! The leather of the model I merely sat in seemed similar to the G's leather interior quality, but less glove-like in softness. The exterior styling is a lot nicer in person (even my wife agreed) and doesn't look as much like a Ford Camry Focus as it does in pictures. The paint doesn't seem as rich or deep as the G's, but does appear of good quality. The Momo steering wheel was great, but the shift **** was about 7000 degrees when we first got in it! I would prefer stock, thank you very much! The shifting was fairly positive with reasonable throws, like the G.

Overall, I think this is a car that caters to those that prefer function (performance) over form (style), especially when it comes a few thousand bucks cheaper. I really wasn't wowed by it, and mentioned to my wife that it lacked the panache of the G. Still, a good car in it's market segment, and an excellent choice for those that fit the ideal buying criteria segment. I think it would be competative against the E36 (mid-late 90's) BMW 3 series in driving feel, and smoke it on performance, at a reasonable price AND with a warranty.

So, to make a short story long, I'm now in the market for the 2005 G35 or possibly a lightly used 330i (if the planets align).

Old 07-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to check out the Subaru Legacy GT the day it arrived at my local dealership couple weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to test drive it, but it looks like a very good package. I was pretty impressed with the exterior design consider typical Subaru cars are ugly beyond belief. The new Legacy and Outback look almost like Acura. The interior is nice as well, I agree with others that it's about on the same level as the G, but some places doesn't feel as solid as the G.

I wouldn't underestimate the performance aspect of the Legacy either, even though it has a more 'comfort' tuned suspension. The Legacy AWD system is race bred, the engine carried over from the STi, and the chasis seems solid enough.

I also agree that Subaru is not a luxury brand, and I don't mean it in the sense that you don't get the 'name plate' such as Mercedes or BMW. Subaru is not known for reliability, quality, customer satisfaction or service. IIRC just recently they voided warranty coverage on a bunch of cars for entering in Solo2 events, which is rediculous. It is a very nice car for the price, I would certainly buy a Legacy over the RX-8, Galant, or Camry, I wouldn't pick one over the G35 though, just because I expect some quality and good service for a $30k car.

btw: I'd seriously consider a Subary Legacy STi version if they ever bring it over. One thing that I can't get over the WRX STi is that it's ugly as sin.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:40 AM

So I was trying to get a few more pics of the Subaru Legacy GT on the Net last night (just to confirm the back looks like a Toyota Camry...and it does ;-), and stumbled upon the Subaru Legacy Forum (yes, there actually is one ;-), and low and behold, what I found was too funny...

It turns out that several of the Subie drivers (many of which are not in the USA -- many from Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, etc. which helps to prove my point about Subaru being more popular overseas than in the US) have browsed G35Driver.com and this thread in particular...I wonder why they're so interested in the G35????

It turns out I seem to have some sort of bad rep with those guys...they don't like me very much, he he. They don't exactly appreciate our negative thoughts on their car (my previous comments in particular ;-)...oh well. They can't understand why most of us feel that the Subaru Legacy GT (which I believe is Subaru's most expensive flagship car or if not, then it's next to the top in their line) isn't at the same level as our lux/near-lux G35 (which I believe is the least expensive Infiniti out of several in the Infiniti line). One guy even mentioned the "Infiniti really is a Nissan" thing; oh, yah..I'm sure most people view $55k Lexus LS/GS and Infiniti Q45/M45 drivers as driving Toyotas and Nissans...yah, right...ah ha...sure. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves and their car to compare their "top" with our "bottom". ;-)

Then, they laughed when they saw my sig with my mods, and commented that I only have a K&N filter as a "mod"...I guess they wouldn't know what a Z tube is ;-) Beside the fact that my G35 is my company car and I cannot do any major mods to it that would make my co. question just 'how fast' I'm getting to my accts. ;-)

Oh, yeh...I was only doing "research" as some of those guys who come to our site have said. Ha ha. ;-)

btw - I also read that they have no idea what their actual 0-60 times are b/c they all say they're still in "break-in" periods and don't want to push them, except for one guy who said he was majorly disappointed to time his new Subaru Legacy GT (2.5L Turbo 5AT) at 7.8 sec. from 0-60. ;-) They alluded to the fact that the 6MT is probably significantly faster than the 5AT.

...and one last thing -- On a somwhat positive note, I did see a very cool looking ps'd picture of a Subaru Legacy GT Coupe...I have to admit it was very cool looking, but wishful thinking on their part...too bad they don't make it. ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/10/04 10:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 PM

This thread is intersting. First off let me just make a comment, I think the G35 is a great car in many ways. I'm glad to see it on the market with a lot of other great cars these days. But, the attitude expressed here in some of these posts is hilarious. Some of the assertions are ridiculous. For example, the Legacy GT is a lesser car because it has a boxer engine? Huh? That's a statement of pure idiocy. Some of the greatest sporting cars EVER used boxer engines. This isn't a handicap but in fact a great engine design. The VQ is an incredible engine and rightfully so won much praise and awards, but from an engineering standpoint, a V6 is an inferior design to begin with versus a boxer six, which is an option in the Legacy GT. The boxer 6 is one of only a few engine layouts that is harmonically balanced(1st and 2nd order) along with the inline 6, and the V12. So, in my view, that's a horrible assertion. The 2.5liter engine in turbo charged trim makes alot of torque too. If any of you have driven a WRX STI, you'll know what I mean. It pulls like a big block from pretty low down. So the claim about the torque is uncalled for as well.
Secondly, awd has been proven to be an advantage in a well set up car on various conditions. Last year Grassroots Motorsports did a test to determine what was the best configuration, awd, fwd, or rwd on varied conditions. The conclusion was that awd on a well set up car was indeed fastest. Yes, there are some penalties for awd like weight and drivetrain ineffeciencies but in most conditions, holding all else constant, awd is superior.

What comes across in some of these posts is this snobbish, elitist, my car is the best atitude. Fine, alot of makes have owners who hold these views, but they tend not to be real car enthusiasts. A true enthusiast will appreciate any fine vehicle regardless of what the badge says. I find it interesting at the number of people that own G35's with auto's. That says alot about the owners.

Hmmm, Subaru is just trying to enter the luxury segment? They already had made a sporty and luxury aimed car, the SVX which was highly praised but pricey. It had a 240hp boxer 6 which was a reasonable amount of power back in the day. The Maxima at the time had 190hp. Who cares what the focus of Subaru was before, its definately changing now, just look at their lineup. I give them alot of credit. They are building an entire lineup of real drivers car, with even an STI version of the Forrester coming out in the near future too. Interior appointments now are rivalling some of the best in the industry like the G35.

The narrow mindedness here, blows me away though. Open you minds a bit and wakeup. The fact that there is a car challenging the G35 is a good thing. Competition amongst manufacturers improves the breed. An infiniti is a fancy Nissan, just like Lexus is a fancy Toyota, etc. Who cares who makes what. What it boils down to is how they perform, and their quality. If you are buying them for a name, then you are not a true enthusiast, just a sucker for the marketing department.

That's my 2 cents, and no, I'm not a Subaru owner. I have a wide variety of vehicles that I admire, the G35 is one of them, but it is by no means the final word in all things cars.

BTW, the newest Road and Track had a comparo with the G35 and RX8. Looking at various aspects such as performance, vaule, styling, appointments, and quality, it proclaimed the RX8 the winner.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:39 PM

I think the "BS" in certain individual's username is pretty apt, I must say...

This thread was pointed to on several different sites. I saw it alluded to on the Subaru site, as well as others (and its not just the subaru owners that thought a certain individual was a jerk...) The site I call home is an enthusiast site--different members may have particular favorites among brands, but by and large we can appreciate those from any brand that are deserving. I'd hazard that most of the members if asked would say they loved the G35, and I know we have at least one member who has one. I think the response to this thread was mostly disappointment with the way a certain G35 driver or two came across, with a feeling that it somehow lessened the marque that these might be representative of G35 drivers. But I still really like the G35, regardless.

I WILL say this as a reality check--the person who said that until recently Infiniti was all but defunct was absolutely correct. Mr BS, you are living in a fantasy world if you believe that the Infiniti name in general is seen by the average person as being on the same level even as Lexus or Acura, to say anything of Mercedes or BMW. The fact is, my friend, that an Infiniti IS simply an upmarket Nissan, the same way an Acura is an upscale Honda, and maybe not even to the same extent that a Lexus is an upmarket Toyota (I might argue that Lexus puts more "space" between a Toyota and a Lexus, actually). For that matter yes, an Audi has been an upmarket VW. They share platforms, engines, etc. Thats not such an awful thing, or something to be ashamed of--its the way most of the automotive industry works. Get over it.
Be proud of the car you have for what it is and what it does, not for the name stamped on it.

I will also say that I think perhaps brand perception is a regional thing. I live in the NE, and the nearest Infiniti dealer is 2 hours away, and consequently I rarely see an Infiniti rolling about. Whereas there are three Subaru dealers within 45 mins (two of the three less than 1/2 hour), and Subaru is actually seen as a respectable marque. But that may be partially the yankee practicality and respect for what works. If we see a BMW we think its nice, but inside we are shaking our heads just a little and thinking how foolish the driver is and how we hope they have something else to drive in the winter...

Old 07-11-2004, 12:34 AM

bsgoren said:
"My main point of all us going 'aound and around' about this is that I, along with most others on this Forum and anywhere in for that matter, would consider any Subaru to not be at the same level of quality, style, safety, and class of an Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. "

Quality- JD Power's says otherwise (see above).

Style- very subjective.

Safety- highest ever crash test rating of any vehicle:
http://www.carpages.co.uk/subaru/sub...cho=1020935893

Class- I think you would be surprised if you compared vehicle against vehicle instead of brand name against brand name. The Legacy was named Japanese Car of the Year. The Japanese focus more on value than we do in the US. They saw this as the most bang for the Yen from a fit and finish, quality, style, performance, and dependability standpoint. It's the "total package".

All that being said, yes, I am biased. I just bought the Legacy over the G35 even though I could afford the G35. I needed the sedan for the family. If the coupe was an option for me, then the G35 might have had a better chance.

296705-GTwinsOverG35.jpg

Old 07-11-2004, 01:22 AM

That's a nice looking Altima you have there.

Before you jump down my throat I considered the G35 before I bought my OB XT a few weeks ago. The fact that Nissan couldn't figure out how to mate a manual transmission to AWD eliminated it.

I have driven the RWD AT Altima, err, G35 and it is a nice car. Problem is the interior is just plain cheesey. Handling is OK. Power is decent.

BTW, if your only getting 14.2 out of your modified Altima, you better get used to seeing that camry like rear end of the Legacy GT.

Interesting how the thread on the Legacy is the most popular one on this forum. Oh wait. The thread on the cheesey the interior of the G35 is the most popular.

http://296721-https://g35driver.com/...1085166230.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.