G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Plus the sedans are about $2000 cheaper around here and weigh distribution is better. 52/48 vs 53/47 for the coupe.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (01-22-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
G35 Sedan: bought 100% standard, now heavily modified
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Sorry but I agree to disagree. Can't put 4 people AND their golf clubs into a coupe. Plus the sedan is lighter because racecar lol.
You're on the money here.

Convertibles < Coupes < Sedans < Wagons

It's just the way it is. Shame Infiniti didn't bring the M35 to North America.

From: https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/...omment=6724072

Scottwax (02-04-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 06:36 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Of course they did...…..but it's a car lol.

g35-andy (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Of course they did...…..but it's a car lol.

Not the same!

Blue Dream (01-27-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Honestly, I'm glad I bought the sedan over the coupe. I can fit two mountain bikes inside my car. My SO's 27.5 minus the front wheel fits in the back, my 29er minus both wheels fits (tightly) in the trunk along with the front wheel of the other bike. Plus the trunk is bigger, if something happens to my Accord I can use my G35 for work if I have to. If my kids are in town there is room for everyone. And it's not nearly as noticeable to the police as a coupe.

If it was just me though, and I didn't ride bikes, I probably would have bought the coupe.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Honestly, I'm glad I bought the sedan over the coupe. I can fit two mountain bikes inside my car. My SO's 27.5 minus the front wheel fits in the back, my 29er minus both wheels fits (tightly) in the trunk along with the front wheel of the other bike. Plus the trunk is bigger, if something happens to my Accord I can use my G35 for work if I have to. If my kids are in town there is room for everyone. And it's not nearly as noticeable to the police as a coupe.

If it was just me though, and I didn't ride bikes, I probably would have bought the coupe.
This is the exact same reason why I prefer wagons over sedans. Hauling stuff!

Scottwax (02-08-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 6MT Sport Sedan (Desert Platinum)
Since this is a sticky, I'm going to assume I won't be yelled at for a necro and this is the right place to ask this question. I tried using the search bar but didn't get any results.

I'm the third owner of a 2003 Infiniti G35 6MT Sport Sedan. I've installed a K&N drop in filter, a Stillen Z-tube, and a throttle-body spacer.

I came into some cash this month and I'm looking to buy a plenum spacer.

Couple of questions on that though,
1. Does the thickness of the spacer make a difference (I assume it would). Should I go the biggest I can go (1/2" I believe).
1.A. I have seen on some websites they advertise an 'angled' plenum spacer. Is this different than all the other ones I've seen?
2. Does the brand really matter? I've seen BLOX for $88 and skunk2 for $195... Is it a pay for what you get scenario?
3. What's the thermal vs. no-thermal difference? I live in Southern California and it stays pretty moderate all year here.
4. CARB implications? I have the plastic engine cover off, and like I said the Z-tube and the throttle body. Will I have troubles passing SMOG (I hate California for this reason among others!)
5. Will I get any at all MPG boost? I often just get up to speed and park cruise control. I'm pulling right now about 20.7 MPG (I live about 10 minutes from where I work and otherwise we have short trips on the weekend).
6. Preferred retailer? Is there a vendor on here that will hook it up? Or am I just best to shop around for the best price?
7. Any questions I'm missing? Anything I didn't think of?
8. Any headaches you may have come across? Things you didn't plan for? Things I should watch out for with the install? Will I have to take off the z-tube and the throttle body spacer to do the install?

Thank you for your patience with me and I'll upload a picture of the results when they come

Last edited by nasch007; 05-21-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot to mention 1A. and 8.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
1. 5/16th is the best "happy medium" for the plenum spacer.
2. Blox is made of plastic, I strongly recommend getting a metal one so it doesn't crack over time.
3. No need for thermal in a warm environment, in the winter when it's really cold it helps get the engine up to temp quicker. Some myths and legend exist about preventing icing on the TB but I've personally never seen that EVER and I live in a place where we get to zero degrees in the winter.
4. Probably not but I don't live in cali.
5. No, but you will see an incremental increase in power, if you get an uprev tune it can take better advantage of the plenum spacer
6. Motordyne, because they're a good company and stand by their stuff.
7. The plenum spacer simply corrects an engineering mistake made by Nissan. I'm 100% sure that if Nissan was aware of the impact it had then they would have simply made the plenum a little larger. There are only benefits and absolutely zero reason why you shouldn't install one, a VERY cost effective upgrade.

g35-andy (05-24-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by nasch007
Since this is a sticky, I'm going to assume I won't be yelled at for a necro and this is the right place to ask this question. I tried using the search bar but didn't get any results.
No yelling I'm just baffled at how you found nothing on plenum spacers, they are arguably the most discussed topic on here and have been for over 16 years. There are tens of thousands of posts about all aspects of them and hundreds, possibly thousands, of threads that would have answered all of your questions you posed. Cleric hooked you up dropping his knowledge to answer your questions, so big thanks to him for that. In .06 seconds I found all kinds of threads here: https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=18244836 and they continue for pages. I know our search engine here isn't the best, Google is a lot better, but damn man it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use it.

OK sorry for the rant, maybe next time use the advanced search (look for the link, it'll be listed when you pull up the search engine) and search for thread titles only to get better results on whatever topic you're researching. Peace...…..

Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
1. 5/16th is the best "happy medium" for the plenum spacer.
2. Blox is made of plastic, I strongly recommend getting a metal one so it doesn't crack over time.
3. No need for thermal in a warm environment, in the winter when it's really cold it helps get the engine up to temp quicker. Some myths and legend exist about preventing icing on the TB but I've personally never seen that EVER and I live in a place where we get to zero degrees in the winter.
4. Probably not but I don't live in cali.
5. No, but you will see an incremental increase in power, if you get an uprev tune it can take better advantage of the plenum spacer
6. Motordyne, because they're a good company and stand by their stuff.
7. The plenum spacer simply corrects an engineering mistake made by Nissan. I'm 100% sure that if Nissan was aware of the impact it had then they would have simply made the plenum a little larger. There are only benefits and absolutely zero reason why you shouldn't install one, a VERY cost effective upgrade.
Wow thanks for such a quick response! And for your knowledge.

Regarding 1. can you elaborate? It's a happy medium between what exactly? What do the larger ones (3/8, 1/2") do differently?

As for 2. I understand plastic may not be the way to go, but skunk advertises "an aerospace thermo-polymer composite that offers superior thermal insulation characteristics when compared to aluminum spacers or other heat-insulating gasket materials. A unique, industry-first, each plenum spacer’s perimeter is injected sealed for tight fitment, eliminating the OEM gasket." Do you think they're blowing smoke? Is it hype or is the injected mold thermo-polymer composite actually possible to be better than aluminum?

6. Are there any referral programs or promo codes between here and them? Just looking to save a few dollars if at possible.

Thank you again, sir!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 PM
I should've clarified, what I meant by no results was... none that answered my particular questions listed... none popped up with my vehicle specifics, and when I got more generic, the results were even less relevant...

Thank you for the constructive criticism and I'll try to do better in the future. Also thanks for your help!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Basically there starts to be a tradeoff between horsepower and torque and for overall driveability the 5/16th spacer gives the best. Blox spacers are prone to cracking, however I've never used one so I don't know if overtorque was an issue but they developed quite a bad reputation on the G35. OEM polymer intakes like what you would find on an LS motor work fine because they are very LARGE pieces, I think the problem with the blox spacer is that it's just a very small piece of plastic and once you remove even more material where the fasteners go through then you just don't have enough structural integrity to survive for long.

nasch007 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Yeah, much of that stands to reason and I would assume just straight plastic would heat and warp and crack. So I definitely am not going to go with the BLOX. I was curious since skunk is a much more mainstream brand if what they're saying about their piece was too good to be true or not. Anyhow, it looks like its between MotorDyne, AAM, and Skunk at the moment. I'm trying to decide how much I can justify spending to the wife (hahahaha). Is there a particular outlet you suggest I buy it from (or ones I should avoid? Like Amazon/Ebay)?

Thank you again for your help!!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Whoever has the best prices, check out the marketplace here on the forums and call or PM around to a few of the vendors and see who has the best prices. Motordyne is typically ordered directly from Tony at Motordyne, either call and see if he has a G35DRIVER discount of order directly through his website.

Never underestimate the power of pre-owned equipment like this, you can usually save quite a bit and since it doesn't have any moving components you will be fine with a used one.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I'll confirm that from my research the 5/16 is the happy medium. The thicker spacers will develop more horsepower at redline, but your engine doesn't live there most of the time. The 5/16 gives you better results in the midrange. And definitely an Uprev tune will be the capstone. The power bandwidth is much more even through the full RPM range...pulls stronger sooner. You can get different maps with it and one of them can be fuel economy, but you won't use it much because...race car. Too much fun.

As to source, depending on how anxious you are, these come up used somewhat frequently as people move on and part out the easy stuff like spacers. On the other hand, it's an aging platform and the marketplace grows quieter and quieter. I got mine (Motordyne) used and as it's just a piece of flat metal, it's been fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread