G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Philth
Good call on the Brembos. I forgot they wouldn't clear my winters on the OEM 17s so no point purchasing something I wouldn't be able to run until the summer anyways.

RWD and in Canada, so I couldn't get a Street Basics for much less than $700 Canadian Dollerydoos (which have been on a downard spiral conversion rate) plus shipping and taxes. I also read the Street Basics are only slightly firmer than stock without a whole lot of adjustment, which is why I was comparing to the used set of Mono Flexes which offer a wider range of ride height and dampening adjustments and even the ability for on the fly electronic dampening adjustments if I choose to add the kit later (all for just slightly more than the Basics). Would be following up with the proper camber kits as required. So at the same price, would you take the mono flexes or the street basics for a daily driver?

Looked into the Z1 intake tube but trying to find a Canadian supplier to avoid conversion/import duties/tax.

Mostly looking at 3" because I haven't really seen any hard number that back up how much exhaust scavenging is going on beyond the y-pipe and opens up to FI later without having to swap my exhaust. And custom only because once again after shipping/conversion/tax and duties, most aftermarket exhaust systems will be more than just getting a simple y-back custom exhaust bent.

Haven't looked much into swaybars but that's a good call. I know I've swapped on other cars to change the driving characteristics (thicker in back, thinner in front to induce more oversteering, vice versa for understeer). Will have to do some more reading to figure out what combinations would best suit my driving!

That was my original plan but I like the idea of being able to adjust ride height as I haven't fully decided on what wheel setup to run. Is there any major advantages of running a performance shock/drop spring combo over coilovers?
Yes. A two piece suspension retains a lot of the comfort while offering good feedback to the steering wheel. The handling is great as the suspension still allows for weight transfer during turns, and they last quite a while, even if you drive your car like you stole it.

IMHO, the only advantage to coilovers for a street car is the height adjustability. Their struts don't last long, they are extremely overpriced, are not always balanced, and for performance, they really don't cut it as the rebound and bound are adjusted together, and the only usable adjustments are stiff to stiffer. Do I have to mention that they ride like sh*t? The coilovers made for comfort usually make that happen by softening the springs, but that screws up the balance of the system even more, making a bumpy or bouncy ride the only options.

If you are going for Tein, get the Flex. Always pass on Basics because they are complete crap and have been for every car I've put them in.

Last edited by dofu; 11-09-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I'm the suggestor lol of the sway bars. For a little over $300 they provide the best bang for the buck of any single mod. The minute you pull out of your driveway or wherever you did the swap you will feel an immediate difference on how the car drives. Much tighter and responsive, they completely change the dynamics of the car. If I could go back and change my whole build, I wouldn't have done half of what I did. I would have saved the tons of cash it took me to add 40 HP and just put a Vortech supercharger on the motor, Osiris, MD VQ sedan exhaust, sways, coilovers, DD radio, wheels, sport pedals and front and rear lip. I'm disappointed long term I spent money on intakes, multiple suspension set-ups, plenum spacer, all the dress up parts in the engine bay etc. On my GTO I can spend less than $2000, add an exhaust, headers and a cam and voila, 80HP to the wheels magically appears.

But I'm 8 years older than I was then and have a different set of priorities so I completely understand why I went where I did. Philth the plenum spacer and intake are super popular mods but is there really any benefit in spending $500 to get gains you might not even feel with the butt dyno? At this point in my life that just doesn't make any sense. But to all of you out there, it's your car so do what you want if it makes you happy. That's all that matters to each of us in the end. Just don't post a thread titled "What kinda wheels should I get for my ride" or "What's the best intake" cuz if you do I will put you on blast so hard your eyeball will get Glennified lolololololol
I saw some cheap god speed sways and wanted to buy them just to take them off the market.. The reviews were horrifying.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:52 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
What would be the two biggest bang for the buck engine performance mods? Plenum spacer and downpipes perhaps?

Already planning on larger anti-roll bars but hoping to add a bit more power too.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
What would be the two biggest bang for the buck engine performance mods? Plenum spacer and downpipes perhaps?

Already planning on larger anti-roll bars but hoping to add a bit more power too.
The biggest bang for the buck performance mod IMO is a shorter final drive. Swap your diff for a pumpkin with a 3.7 FD or something shorter. You have to do some homework to make sure you get the right flange on the diff, as I forget which models were a direct swap.

Plenum spacers are ok since they are fairly cheap, but gains are minimal.

High flow cats and a tune would be my next on my list.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Not sure about even deeper gears, already through first gear so quick as it is. Plus I like to take it on road trips since it has more comfortable seats than my Accord. And 4.11s in my Chevelle were fun for a while but driving around at 3400 rpm at 60 takes its toll. But you can swap out the pumpkin instead of the ring and pinion? That's pretty cool.

Definitely I'll look into the other two plus a tune.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Yeah the pumpkin is a direct swap if you get the right one as mentioned. Coming from someone who's done extensive mods in search of more power the quest is pretty frustrating. IMHO it's really not worth the money to chase 5HP here and 8HP there. It took me this to gain 40RWHP:
Motordyne ART pipes-$450
MD VQ sedan exhaust-$733 (not what I paid )
MD XYZ mid w/resonator-$300 (again nwip)
MD 5/16" spacer-$225 Yes I have a man crush on Tony and his products lolololol
R2C intake-$225
Osiris w/dyno tune and cypher cable-$1000

Total $2983 for a less than 20% bump, you've gotta ask yourself if it's worth the money. I also have an 06 GTO and for less than $2000 I can slap a cam, exhaust and intake on her LS2 and that's good for almost 100 HP. Add a tune and you're talking ohhhh baby!! If I did it all again I'd just get the intake and exhaust and call it a day for the G. Sh!!ty thing though is I would never find a VQ exhaust these days. Tony only made 22 sets I believe and I have the prototype. Just not thrilled with any other sedan exhaust I've heard...........

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (11-18-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
IMHO, I don't care which car or motor and drivetrain you are working with, or how much power that intake actually adds compared to other motors - go for these small mods if you just want a little something to help fine tune your car to add a little more fun and pride to your ride. But if you want power, then you should skip the bs and just go for the boost and tune.

Last edited by dofu; 11-21-2016 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dofu:
Blue Dream (11-25-2016), Scottwax (11-21-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 PM
6 speed G35 sedan

Total $2983 for a less than 20% bump, you've gotta ask yourself if it's worth the money. I also have an 06 GTO and for less than $2000 I can slap a cam, exhaust and intake on her LS2 and that's good for almost 100 HP. Add a tune and you're talking ohhhh baby!! If I did it all again I'd just get the intake and exhaust and call it a day for the G. Sh!!ty thing though is I would never find a VQ exhaust these days. Tony only made 22 sets I believe and I have the prototype. Just not thrilled with any other sedan exhaust I've heard...........
On the plus side, I got my car pretty cheap ($4998) because nobody in the Dallas area wants 6 speed sedans. So even putting a few grand into my car, I've only got in it what the 6 speed coupes in similar condition go for around here.

Kind of like my Accord. It's been paid for 5 years now, so going with larger anti-roll bars, j-pipe and intake made it more fun to drive for about $900 in parts. I know I'll never get the money back but I keep my cars a long time.

Hell, I spent $560 on wheels for a MTB I paid $900 ($1299 list) for because lighter wheels make a difference. And my new carbon MTB I might end up spending double that on wheels...

Most of us are here because we like cars, we want to personalize them to some extent and stock is just a starting point for performance.

Blue Dream (12-03-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, I just picked up a G35 for a steal and have been trying to find an answer to no avail after scouring this site and google in general. On stock-height suspension with a 18x10 or 18x10.5 wheel, what is the widest tire that I could reasonably fit without fear of rubbing? And what would be the recommended offset? (I'm new to the street-car side of things, coming from a heavily modified off-road vehicle).

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
dofu (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 PM
So I have a 2006 G35 Sedan 5AT, I am planning to track it soon. What mods would you guys suggest for my car?

What I have:
1. Z-tube/KN filter
2. MD 5/16" Plenum Spacers
3. SxExCx's Grounding Kit

Thinking of Hotchkis 22413 sway bars, any opinions?

Last edited by Vinct; 02-06-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Drive the car in its current condition, and make upgrades based on what is absolute necessary (brakes, suspension, tires) if you are serious about lap times!

Most of those other things are silly to upgrade.

Only get sways if you need to change the driving dynamic.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Vinct
So I have a 2006 G35 Sedan 5AT, I am planning to track it soon. What mods would you guys suggest for my car?

What I have:
1. Z-tube/KN filter
2. MD 5/16" Plenum Spacers
3. SxExCx's Grounding Kit

Thinking of Hotchkis 22413 sway bars, any opinions?
I've got the Hotchkis anti-roll bars on the way, I'll post my thoughts once they are here, installed and I've driven with them a bit. Based on the 4 mm per bar increase over stock, I don't think it will change the balance of the car too much but definitely allow it to corner flatter.

Went with larger bars on my Accord, actually was able to get rid of some of the understeer and it handles a lot better.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If I've said this once I've said it dozens of times: Sway bars should be the first mod for anyone that is interested in improving the way the car drives and handles. If I went back and was told I could only do 1 mod it would be sways. Best bang for the buck mod for the G, they completely change the vehicle and you can tell a difference pulling out of the driveway and getting underway on your first post-mod drive. Just my .02 but I bet scottwax will confirm this after he has spent some time driving his car after installing them. Let us know how it goes man, curious what your impressions are.

Scottwax (02-07-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 PM
If I've said this once I've said it dozens of times: Sway bars should be the first mod for anyone that is interested in improving the way the car drives and handles. If I went back and was told I could only do 1 mod it would be sways. Best bang for the buck mod for the G, they completely change the vehicle and you can tell a difference pulling out of the driveway and getting underway on your first post-mod drive. Just my .02 but I bet scottwax will confirm this after he has spent some time driving his car after installing them. Let us know how it goes man, curious what your impressions are.
Would you recommend stillens or hotchkis? I was leaning towards hotchkis but I've seen good reviews on both.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread