G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just got pulled over for Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Just got pulled over for Exhaust

It's illegal in CA to modify your exhaust? That's so gay. Anyone have any links to legit sites that discuss this?

Brian, were you ever on maxima.org?

<font color=blue>2004.5 Coupe ^ 5AT ^ DG/W ^ Z Tube</font color=blue>

Old 07-28-2004, 11:52 PM

Brian,

First, I have the stock CAT. I only the cat back exhaust, and new intake. So, I'm not concerned there. Second, the car is NOT loud, it's healthy, but by no means loud. I hear tons and I mean tons of trucks with flow masters, etc (which we owned a 1999 Suburban that I put Flow Master on, made the truck very loud) never had a problem. It's likely that is because aside from the exhaust that truck was stock. It's a mute point apparently.

I do not drive like an a-hole, except, possibly, when someone is blocking me in the fast lane, when they should simply move out of my way, hence the plate muuova. It's sick how many people are clueless on the road.

Let me reiterate also, that I was doing the speed limit, within all boundries of the law, just may have gotten to that speed a little quicker than others. I was totally within my rights.

2003.5 G35 6MT Sedan/Black w/ Graphite
Life is good!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is such bull. oh my goodness it pisses me off so much. arggghhh

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-29-2004, 01:30 AM

Don't feel tagged. It should be falttering that he wanted to check your car out.

Just to clarify something, exhaust is not a part of emissions system and CARB has no power over exhausts. Another thing I might suggest you do is do the the official dB test of the exhaust, and if you pass, I hope you will, Cali level is 95dB, cary that document with you in the car.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-29-2004, 02:21 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

He was talking to me about the penalty of no cats!! Damm now im worried, if you guys saw my video's of me reving the engine, there's a white gray smoke coming out, he said it will do that for a week or so until it breaks in!! I dont care if theres a mild fume smell after that, I just dont want the smoke that's coming out. You cant see it while driving, only when your standing still reving I guess?? Anyway now im worried, my car is pretty loud but nothing at all like some trucks i hear, hondas with fart cans or m3's!! I think they're use to it here in NY, with me living on a popular strip DPA and all there is here are loud *** hondas and cars!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-29-2004, 03:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan

I'm glad to hear that your breasts are American. Those are the best kind.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Another thing I might suggest you do is do the the official dB test of the exhaust, and if you pass, I hope you will, Cali level is 95dB, cary that document with you in the car.

<hr></blockquote>

Great advice MOTOP, I was going to suggest the same thing only I didn't know what the legal db level was.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:44 AM

where can we go to get our dB levels tested? this is so worth it.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-29-2004, 09:26 AM

muuvova - Most of my comments were just general comments, not directed towards you necessarily.

Also, there's something about sport's cars being mod'd thatg's different from trucks being mod'd; cops just don't seem to care about loud American trucks.

iLLG35 - The white smoke is because of the coating that still exsists inside of your new exhaust. It's really no big deal, in fact all cars blow white smoke when they're first started so a cop won't care. It's black/blue smoke that helps to clue off the missing cats. You won't see it, but under WOT there's a good chance that some black smoke escapes.

I had a supercharged Maxima and when I moved to Texas the first thing I did was throw in a test-pipe. I never even considered it while I was in California, as the cops there are trained to look for no cats, here they really don't care much. Anyways, when I would go WOT people behind me would see some black smoke. However, my Maxima was boosted had an upped fuel system and was older so chances are your newer, non-boosted car won't be as obvious. I'd have a friend take a look at it when you go WOT on the road.

To the guy asking about maxima.org, yes I was BrianV on maxima.org; I still hang out there but mainly in Off-Topic.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-29-2004, 09:32 AM

Oh and I thought it was 96 decibels for the test?

I don't think that really carries much weight with the cops either, as they have no proof that your car is in the same condition, and in fact it just pisses them off more because you're trying to be a smart azz about it.

My recommendation is, just play it dumb, say you were backing into a parking spot and ran the exhaust into one of those cement parking blocks and you had to get a new exhaust. Infiniti wanted $2000 so you went with the dealers recommendation of another brand (NOTE: some dealers sell Stillen parts). This probably won't work if your car has a lot of other obvious mods on it though. If that fails, take the ticket. Then there's this way you can fight your case over mail, it forces the cop to write in his defense as well. It's been a while since I've dealt with tickets so I don't remember what this process is called.

Anyways, in your defense talk about the aftermarket REPLACEMENT and that it doesn't increase noise to your knowledge. Take pictures of it and give them the report of that 96db law as well as an up to date smog check (as much as exhaust has NOTHING to do with emissions, cops and judges think it does).

That's what I'd do.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:57 AM

MOTOP...It's funny you say that, I was talking about doing that last night. I'm sure I can run right up to Pimso, where they are cracking down on all motorcycles and ATV's, which is such crap, because out of the box, those bikes are louder than 95dB. Did it go down from 98dB to 95? I though it was 98 before. I guess Harley's are exempt from this rule.

Life is good!

Old 07-29-2004, 10:59 AM

That's how it is here too. My car sounds like a cotton ball hitting the ground comapared to most everything out there. I think it's just crap.

Life is good!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:04 AM

Brian, That is brilliant idea.

Life is good!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 AM

Motorcycles are exempt from noise laws. This was done so they can make themselves louder due to their hard to see characteristics. I still think there needs to be a limit on their noise levels because some of them are obscene.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:22 AM

I didn't know they were exempt... I know the dirt bikes are. We ride, and they check you everywhere you go. Do they do a dB reading when you get your car smogged? Seems like they did, but I never really pay that much attention.

Life is good!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over for Exhaust