G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno Results

I just did the Dyno runs this morning, and I'm over a friend's house so I'm gonna be quick. My car dyno'd 236.3 RWHP, and 241.8 lb/ft TQ... compared to the two 350Z's that were there that dyno'd 238/245 RWHP and ~235 lb/ft TQ. Both 350Z guys were very impressed with how my car sounded and performed on the dyno. The suprise of the day was that I was finishing off my runs at about 151 mph -vs- their runs at 137 and 139 mph. I will post picks when I get back home.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96.4
10 Wire Grnd Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen HS
UR UD CP
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
350 Z 170F Thermostat
02 Maxima SE 4AT 14.5 @ 95
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 07-31-2004, 04:43 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dyno Results

Damm nice runs, i cant wait to see my results, get yours up also i wanna see it!!! Im still wondering about my dyno, my first run was 237 or 239 rwhp and 244 lb ft of torque at the rear's from start to redline, on my dyno its 3500k rpm's to 5700k and they only got 221.5 hp and 230.4 torque, weird!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-31-2004, 09:26 PM
G Kreuzer

Great. I can't wait to see your dyno plot. You've got a very similar setup as SocalTed's 5AT. He's got the Stillen TD exhaust and the Crawford Cats on top of what you've got. He posted 247rwhp at the last Stillen Dyno day. So, this will be a good way to dedcut how much power the Stillen Exhaust's actually worth.

Clint (THX723)

Old 08-01-2004, 12:51 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Yea i think i might be aroudn the same area, my test pipes probably free'd up a lot more than the crawford cats but his exhaust is good more a little more HP and torque, we'll see =)
I just wish i had some headers or the crawford plenum to go along with my set up Its becoming so addicting lol, and my cars leased!! Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
G Kreuzer

Martin,
This is why I'm very interested in his dyno. I don't believe it has yet been seen how much the Stillen Sedan exhaust is really good for ... and if it makes more power than the others like your Borla. I'm excluding the Stillen Dyno results because the numbers tend to be very interesting there. One of our friend dyno'd in the 250s with his bone stock coupe?!?!? All three pulls mind you.

With his plot, I'll do a little Photochop magic and superimpose the two to see how the assumed addition of the Stillen Exhaust and Crawford Cats will compare to his plot.

So, again ... I'm very eager to get to the meat here!

Cheers,

Clint (THX723)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by THX723 on 08/01/04 10:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-01-2004, 01:23 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

So wait your comparing boss's to socalted's?? Well my car gets dyno'd wednesday so i'll post up my dyno again!! Clint could you explain why they did my last dyno run from 3500k rpm and ended at 5700k rpm ?? I think i got good numbers from my auto sedan either way, but my first dyno run from start to redline i got 237 rwhp and 244 rwtorque, im gonna try and get that dyno also!! Check this out, thanks!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

314221-My G35 Baseline Dyno.jpg

Old 08-01-2004, 02:10 PM
G Kreuzer

Martin,
Yes, I'd like to compare Boss' to SoCalTed's only because his current mod is a near image of Ted's minus the Stillen Exhaust + Crawford Cats.

As for you plot, regretfully, it is a horrible one. *laughs* ... not the result but the plot itself. It lacks the resolution (aka zoom) for useful analysis. Can you get another copy from them that fills the entire sheet of paper with only the HP/TQ plot free of the mumble jumbles (car name, # cylinders, VIN, etc.).

It also appears the dyno techs are perhpas inexperienced? For one, they let off way before your red line (6600rpm), or they were having trouble getting a good ignition signal from your coils. 2ndably, looks like they allowed your AT to slip before going WOT, which is why you were getting the Hurculean TQ numbers and very early on. The VQ's will have a peak TQ that is equal (at best) to the peak HP number in general and certainly should be the case w. the mods you've got. Fortunately, a slipping AT torque converter situration rarely effect the peak HP numbers, as that comes in much later in the power band (just south of 6000 rpm).

Then again, I'm not too familar w. how the Mustang Dyno is used. I'm only familiar with the DynoJet and DynaPak, perhaps that's how Mustang Dynos are??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, however.

Clint (THX723)

Old 08-01-2004, 02:29 PM
G Kreuzer

BTW ... I just noticed Boss' dyno numbers too ... he's probably experiencing a little torque converter slippage, as his TQ is also higher than the HP. Again, once he posts his plot I'll be able to point them out for you.

Here's Ted's Plot. Notice how his peak TQ occured where you'd expect it to at ~4800rpm and is under the peak HP value. This is what's expected of a n.a. VQ35DE engine w.o. modification to the cam shafts. Also take notice of how the dyno operator slowly ramped up the throttle until he's around 3800 rpm to prevent t.c. slippage. He's probably a little too overly conservative ... usually, he can be WOT by 3500 rpm (from what other ATer are telling me).

Lastly, since you're on a Mustang Dyno ... the numbers will NOT be comparable to the DynoJet ones.

Clint (THX723)

Old 08-01-2004, 04:14 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Oh shi^ !!! What mod's does socalted have exactly? I have Injen CAI,UR Pulley'sBorla TD,XERD Test Pipe's, 7 wire hyperground and TS ecu and plenum coming soon hopefully or at least the plenum will be!! Boss has the mid pipe and y pipe which doesnt free up as much as a full cat back, but has the TS and plenum over me!! Im pissed off of my dyno, my first dyno was amazing, i dunno why they gave me this one!! And that was there like 3rd time using the dyno in the shop, they got it in the week before and used it a few times after the cement dried!! Man, should i even go back? Or should i find a place with a dynojet? Also i'll try and get a full sheet of my first dyno and this one that they printed out for me!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 08-01-2004, 04:36 PM
G Kreuzer

I would definitely look to get another set of numbers from a DynoJet, so you can better compare to the others on the forum and get a better understanding where you stand with your current mods. This is not to discredit Mustang Dyno's accuracy, they are simply not comparible withe the DynoJet numbers and likewise the DynaPak numbers.

Ted has the following mods that I'm aware of:

Stillen TD Exhaust
Stillen CAI Intake (Thermo wrapped)
Z-tube
Crawford Plenum v5
Crawford High-Flow Cats
Technosquare ECU (latest Crawford spec)
UR Crank Pulley
Grounding Wires

His peak values are 247hp and 232ft-lbs

Clint (THX723)

Old 08-01-2004, 05:28 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

All i pretty much need to be up there is the plenum and TS I guess, but i think i'll be done with it after the plenum, its still a leased car after all!! I just wanna be where others are for me to be completely happy, i guess its not all that important though anyway haha!! But now i wont be able to get an accurate dyno reading of my baseline because of my installs, this sucks!! Now im really pissed and don't know what to do, my dyno readings seem very low and i dont fully understand why they started and ended the test when they did!! Man, im gonna talk to them tomorrow. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 08-01-2004, 07:11 PM

Here is the plot. I have to go back through the forum and compare this to what others have done for 3rd vs 4th gear runs and why if 4th is really 1:1 and who had the RPMS start as high as we did on this day vs. seeing like 2500 rpms on up...This whole thing was kinda rushed so there was little planning.

It was very hot and humid outside too...though I did remember to bring some ice for the Crawford to cool down on. Overall I am very pleased b/c the two other Zs that were there were less than me on the torque side of things and only 2 and 9 RWHP more with their 6 spds and both had full Borla Exhausts and JWT pop chargers.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96.4
10 Wire Grnd Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen HS
UR UD CP
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
350 Z 170F Thermostat
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

314371-07-31-04 Dyno small.jpg

Old 08-01-2004, 07:38 PM

Don't be upset at all. Those dudes are just using a different dyno...I am sure your set up is yielding fine numbers.

I would, as Clint suggested, go to a Dyno Jet place though and get some apples to apples stuff done. I am going to go back after I get my MAF all fixed up and do some more runs, but this time I want to bring my own Floppy and Lap Top, ICE, as the G hates heat and figure out do I run in 3rd or 4th and then if in 4th where exactly, in the RPM range is it safe for me to go WOT...as I mentioned I was hitting 2nd, then 3rd and then 4th and I was probably only at like 2900 rpms when I was hammering it...I still don't know why the plots only show from 4200 rps and up though too...which is frustrating now that Hindsight has kicked in.

Illg35 is your G an auto or a 6 spd b/c here are what stock 6MTS and 5AT dyno...this should make you feel better. Oh, and these are off the Coupe dude which is supposed to be 20 HP and 10 Trq more than us in our Sedans...so now you should really be smiling:

Stock OEM 6MT Coupe: 229.7 RWHP & 222.6 RWTQ
Stock OEM 5AT Coupe: 227.6 RWHP & 216.7 RWTQ

I am sure Clint is going to smooth out my Graph having read all of his posts (And they make 100% sense to me) and even then I am pushing out, on a $hitty Hazy, Hot and Humid Day a legit 236.3 RWHP and 223.2 RWTQ based on the Excel type print out I got...Trq may be a hair higher b/c these numbers are taken in increments of 100 RPMs so I could have broken 224 on RWTQ, but no matter. Taking the accepted correction factor of 1.23 for an Automatic that puts me at about 291 BHP (236.3 * 1.23)...if I do it the way the Stillen Boys did it by taking 236.3 and dividing it by .80 (again for the 5ATs) I actually get 295 BHP...Can someone verify which way is right!!! And for torque I am looking at a legitimate 274.54 lbs/Trq at the Crank. Either way I am very happy for what I have done to the car.

Dyno experts please chime in!

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96.4
10 Wire Grnd Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen HS
UR UD CP
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
350 Z 170F Thermostat
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 08-02-2004, 03:41 AM
G Kreuzer

Alright ... I recieved the plot from BossSHO (thank you sir) and the scan was of decent quality.

Here's the how it looks compare to Ted's.

This won't be the most exact science comparo here, but for the lack of better controlled data ... we'll take it as is. It'll at least provide a general idea. In this case, the only major difference between the two cars is the Stillen TD Exhuast and Crawford Cats on Ted's car. It's safe to bet BossSHO could gain around 10hp across the board if he adds the Stillen TD + Crawford Cats.

I did notice some tc slippage on BossSHO's graph as well, so I've truncated the invalid portion of the plot. For AT dynos, it's not uncommon to only have the numbers valid after 4000rpm. If your skillful engouh, you could start reproducing good number starting ~3500rpm.

Btw, BossSHO ... you AF plot looked amazing (not shown here). Just curious ... was that measured from the tail-pipe or did you have a measure point up stream by the cats??? If the latter ... your fuel mixture is IDEAL!!!

Clint (THX723)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by THX723 on 08/02/04 12:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-02-2004, 09:05 AM

Clint...nice photoshopping Man! ;-)

My AF ratio was done from the tail pipe b/c that's how the guy does it. I asked about the Y pipe Bung like Gurgen had suggested, but he said for the amount of distance b/t the YPipe and the Tailpipe and with the sensors he uses it should not make a difference...and I wasn't going to argue.

I was very amazed at how perfect the AF ratio was too...I actually had a printout of Gurgens email to me and was comparing as I was going. I was actually so happy with that that I didn't notice the Torque Converter slippage till I got home, but oh well.

SoCalTed's car and mine are actually even more alike b/c I just put in the Stillen CAI Box last weekend and with a 3" silicone adapter hose mated it up to the SR K&N intake tube. There is a slight kink b/t the connection but nothing I would think that hinders air flow...and like Ted, I also have the same thermal wrap starting with my MAF all the way to the Throttle body (Thanks to DaveO's suggestion to avoid heat sink).

As I just posted elsewhere...if I could hear another car with either high flow cats or a high flow y-pipe and cat back vs. a stock G35 or even my G with the Coupe Mid Pipe I would be able to decide on sound (either no drone/rattle or obnoxious wot sounds or too much for my every day driver tastes) if I were to buy a whole exhaust and call it a day!

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96.4
10 Wire Grnd Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen HS
UR UD CP
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
350 Z 170F Thermostat
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results