G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I am an idiot, please help me out guys.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I am an idiot, please help me out guys.

So here is a quick summary of what happened:

I was installing the MD iso plenum spacers today. After getting the iso thermal gasket installed on the lower plenum it was time for me to tighten the 8 bolts. For some reason I thought that I was supposed to torque the bolts in ft-lbs, and as you can already guess what happend next. I broke 6 main bolts, bolts 1-6.

I was able to get the broken bolts off the mounting holes after some time. I then went to nissan and got some replacement bolts for it. The 2nd time around was much better since I now I know it was in inch-lbs. But as I was torquing bolt #3, it fcking broke off. At this point I was pretty pissed at myself. I had to take all the bolts off again, and then find a way to get the broken piece off bolt #3 out of the mounting hole. This time I could not get it out since it was just nudge deep down. So I decided **** it, I am just going to install a new bolt over regardless.

3rd time is the charm right?...no not really. I was able to torque all the bolts in fine except for bolt#3. Since there was still a piece of broken bolt in the mounting hole, I ended up stripping the threads on the hole trying to put a new bolt on. So now I am not able to tighten that bolt pass 40 inch-lbs since the threads are stripped. I was in a hurry so I decided to just put everything back together and leave that bolt the way it is.

Here is are my questions:

Am I fine with having one bolt not properly tighten on my lower plenum?

If I am not fine, what can I do to tighten it again? Since the threads is stripped, should I use a bigger size bolt?

How can I take the broken bolt out in the mounting hole?

Today was the the most failed I could possiblity have. I just hope I didnt fck up anything bad.

Here is a picture showing where bolt #3 is located.

Attached Thumbnails I am an idiot, please help me out guys.-plenum.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
you sure you wana try and fix it. You fvcked a simple process of putting bolts in, you think you do better job at taking broken bolt out?

There is a solution to your problem but you prolly gonna fvck **** up even more by doing it.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
To take the broken bolt out, drill through the center of the bolt as much as possible without touching any threads (hint: use a thick spacer or a lot of washers to keep things centered) and use a bolt-out bit - they're like a backwards-twisting drill bit that screws inward while it turns the bolt outward. They've saved me a couple of times.
Not the exact one I have, but they're similar to this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2152000P?mv=rr

Re-tap the screw hole if you can get your hands on a tap & die set to help the new bolt have some clean threads up top where you stripped it a bit.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ like said about, buy an easy-out kit, use the supplied drill bit and drill out the center and use the other piece to take the bolts out, then use a tap-and -die kit to rethread your intake manifold.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
you sure you wana try and fix it. You fvcked a simple process of putting bolts in, you think you do better job at taking broken bolt out?

There is a solution to your problem but you prolly gonna fvck **** up even more by doing it.
i'm going to agree.

you can always RETAP the threads but that requires you to be completely straight and no mess up the threads. Its a quick process but many have ended in failure.

drill that broken bolt out ASAP before it ends up in your piston/valve

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
To take the broken bolt out, drill through the center of the bolt as much as possible without touching any threads (hint: use a thick spacer or a lot of washers to keep things centered) and use a bolt-out bit - they're like a backwards-twisting drill bit that screws inward while it turns the bolt outward. They've saved me a couple of times.
Not the exact one I have, but they're similar to this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2152000P?mv=rr

Re-tap the screw hole if you can get your hands on a tap & die set to help the new bolt have some clean threads up top where you stripped it a bit.
why would you inform someone who can't figure out torque specs how to drill out a bolt

Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
Question, have you ever dropped your torque wrench? If so, that is your problem. As soon as you drop a torque wrench they are no longer within specs. You need to get it re-calibrated.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
The back out bit might not work now depending how bad you stripped the threads in the hole.

Find an experienced mechanic and have him do the work to fix it then use the second option that is given in the motordyne instruction manual, use some leather gloves and a nut driver. Also, put lock tight on every screw.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the response everyone.

If I dont have to mess with it and leave it the way it is then I would be happy.
I am sure the broken bolt would not fall into the piston since the hole itself does not have an exit wound.

So my question is....can I get away with it leaving it the way it is?
I just dont want to mess things up anymore.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by snotf
why would you inform someone who can't figure out torque specs how to drill out a bolt
To be nice... or to hear the following train-wreck of a story that follows

Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
To be nice... or to hear the following train-wreck of a story that follows
you are a cruel mother fvcker you.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd buy another lower manifold (not plenum) and reinstall everything CORRECTLY. Not sure how you didn't think you were doing something wrong after breaking the 1st or 2nd bolt but whatever.

At least this way, you don't have to deal with a relatively skilled process of figuring out how to use an EZ-out tool. But it does entail having to undo bolts and possibly nuts.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninja6R
Thanks for the response everyone.

If I dont have to mess with it and leave it the way it is then I would be happy.
I am sure the broken bolt would not fall into the piston since the hole itself does not have an exit wound.

So my question is....can I get away with it leaving it the way it is?
I just dont want to mess things up anymore.
Should be fine...the center bolts are mostly redundant IMO. Does it idle smooth? If it does your fine if not then it is not sealed, You can check for vacuum leaks around whole the with a propane torch or starter fluid (google it). I doubt the bolt piece will back it's way out and drop through the engine.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I'd fix it. There is a reason for a torque sequence with intake bolts. Hot/Cold cycles over time will thermally expand and contract your engine...and could very well possibly led to vac leaks in the future.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by HwyDrftr
Should be fine...the center bolts are mostly redundant IMO. Does it idle smooth? If it does your fine if not then it is not sealed, You can check for vacuum leaks around whole the with a propane torch or starter fluid (google it). I doubt the bolt piece will back it's way out and drop through the engine.
Yes it idle smooth like before. I guess will leave it alone for now, if it does leak than I will have to take it to a shop and let them fix it. Thanks for your help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am an idiot, please help me out guys.