G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

taillight tints

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not a fan, but it's your car so go for it if you like the look.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ShanesG
Easiest solution, DON'T DRIVE BEHIND SOMEONE WITH TINTED TAILS. lol If you truly cant see the brake lights why risk it and continue to drive behind them? As for the fault thing i agree, but that's the beauty of America noone gives a fvck about the other person. Everyone thinks everyone owes them something and would gladly fvck over the next person even if they clearly knew that it was their fault(sad but true). So i guess that's just a risk people with tinted tails have to take.
lol.. thanks for the tip coach..

Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
for everyone b!tching about not being able to see brake light with tinted tails... If you rear end me I'm suing the **** out of you for driving blind!

I understand that "some cars" have poor visibility when tinted - typically they are bulbs... ours are obviously LEDs...

If you cant see this you have problems:

click for vid

These are old pics - they are darker now and still can be seen even in bright daylight.

Since we are discussing G35 tint - lets take out the "other car" equation when saying the light can't be seen... it simply isn't true.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I guess everyone has different opinions about what is dark and light enough to qualify as being "okay".

Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
^^^ maybe - but "viability" isn't typically a matter of opinion, it's either visible or its not.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ maybe - but "viability" isn't typically a matter of opinion, it's either visible or its not.
i bet you 27$ that my taillights are easier to see than yours.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ what's your point? as long as they can be seen clearly night or day is what counts. i bet you 27$ that his and my tail lights look better than yours

Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i bet you 27$ that my taillights are easier to see than yours.
Good Job. Bet someone $27 that your taillights are easier to see without really specifying how or when. From this, I can only assume you mean the taillights themselves, not the light they emit, and since you didn't specify night, you must mean in the daytime... Nope, his are exactly as easy to see as yours... well for me they are easier to see because they are different so they draw my attention more.
Don't get me wrong, I get the point you're trying to make that any tint at all is going to reduce the light output, however, the LED taillights on the G35 shine so much brighter than most other taillights out there that they can be tinted and still be sufficiently seen, not only at night but in sunlight as well.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 PM
^ +10000, my tails are completely black and the leds are still bright as hell

Last edited by NjMatteSedan; 01-07-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
With all due respect, most statements here are matters of opinion. The debate about the taillights being bright enough, or visible enough, or easy to see is a stated opinion rather than a measured scientific fact.

Simple fact is if you put tint or any other covering over a taillight, you reduce it's light output. LED's are bright yes, but they are not as intense as halogen bulbs. It's why you need 25-50 LED's to equal the output the output of a halogen bulb. If anything, the pictures showing the taillights up close at night and showing individual LED's with no glare at all shows that intensity is cut way down. In inclimate weather, this could be an issue.

I dunno, maybe it's because i'm a design engineer by profession that I tend to scrutinize things waaaay to much considering i have a ton of liability riding on my designs. I just feel that taillight tint dramatically decreases intensity of the light to the point where it is no longer considered effective.

But we'll go on all day about this, and it's gotten way off topic and nobody will stop tinting their tails....so carry on

Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
As far as light transmission, Im sure there are cars out there with dimmer tail lights. The real problem arrises when you have to prove this to get off the hook in an accident or something of the sort. If the claim is made that your tail lights werent bright enough, you need to provide evidence that they are as bright as other vehicles on the road. It would require independant testing which takes time and money out of your own pocket...

Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Tinted tails ftw

Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
LED's are bright yes, but they are not as intense as halogen bulbs. It's why you need 25-50 LED's to equal the output the output of a halogen bulb.
If you are trying to light something up, you're right 1 for 1 single led is far to small to emit the same amount of light as a halogen bulb. But LEDS are MUCH brighter and more intense when you are directly looking at them. And with our tails you are looking directly at 25+ leds. They will be able to be seen much easier than 1 5w halogen bulb that is trying to light up an entire housing.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Interestingly, on my way in this morning I paid close attention to various vehicles on the freeway... I was traveling due west at 8:30 am (sun behind me shining bright on taillights in front of me)...

There were several vehicles that I honestly could not tell when they were braking (other than 3rd brake light) - the reflection was so bright on many of them that you couldn’t even tell if the brakes were on or not... completely honest here.

I also noticed that many cars OEM lenses are slightly darker (Charger for example) and those are much easy to tell when the brakes are on. So bright red lenses (even though OEM) are actually much more of a hazard in this particular case than the darker red.

Obviously the vehicles mentioned above had no tint... but I can guarantee that if I was behind my car there would be absolutely no doubt when my brake lights were on.

And for those that are concerned with "liability" - I deal with various forms of transportation safety/compliance and laws... I can assure you I would never do anything that would jeopardize safe transport or create potential liability – it’s what I do for a living.

As stated before - this thread could go on forever, but I know one thing I know for fact; If I got rear ended and the bozo claimed they couldn’t see my brake lights, it would be so easy and convenient to find him/her inept once I showed judge/jury how mine illuminate - no one in their right mind would think they are not visible "enough". On the other hand I can guarantee I could convince judge/jury some of the vehicles OEM brake lights were not easy to determine when the brakes were engaged (other than third brake light).

Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
Good Job. Bet someone $27 that your taillights are easier to see without really specifying how or when. From this, I can only assume you mean the taillights themselves, not the light they emit, and since you didn't specify night, you must mean in the daytime... Nope, his are exactly as easy to see as yours... well for me they are easier to see because they are different so they draw my attention more.
Don't get me wrong, I get the point you're trying to make that any tint at all is going to reduce the light output, however, the LED taillights on the G35 shine so much brighter than most other taillights out there that they can be tinted and still be sufficiently seen, not only at night but in sunlight as well.
you owe me $27

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: taillight tints