G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2005 G35 40k mile servicing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010 | 06:58 PM
|
2005 G35 40k mile servicing

Hi, after getting some good advice from here I thought I'd ask a few questions of you guys.

I have a 2005 G35 which has 40k on it and is totally stock. To my knowledge the cam belt has never been changed? Is this a good idea at this point?

I had the transmission fluid checked at 30k and it was fine. I know this is an inspect/replace item at 30k (I did skimp on some of the 30k items as I didn't think they were justified). Do you think 40k is the time for new transmission fluid?

In cabin air filter was fine at 30k - thoughts?

I've had a look at the service schedule and some things I do agree with - regular oil, oil filter, and air filter changes. Some of it I was skeptical about at 30k but now I've done 10k miles I'm looking to see what advice board members have at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Old 01-07-2010 | 07:14 PM
We don't have timing belts...we have chains. You are good for a long time.

Trans fluid i'd be looking at a drain/refill soon. Don't sweat it if you don't get done for a while, but i'd keep it in the back of your mind to get it done at some point in the next 5-10K miles.

Cabin air filter is $12 at autozone and takes 15 mins to do yourself. I did mine at 30K and it was filty...gonna do it again this spring when the pollen starts to fly just cuz it's cheap and easy to do.

You should also prob be looking at a coolant flush soon if it's never been done.

Old 01-07-2010 | 07:33 PM
I would pick up 4 quarts of S-matic tranny fluid and have your mechanic do a drain and fill. He shouldn't charge you much, or you can do it yourself. It's similar to doing an oil change.

I've been lazy and never changed the in cabin filter. I'm at 108k miles and have no problems. I'll probably change it soon.

Old 01-07-2010 | 08:21 PM
sorry to jack your thread alil bit dude...but what is recomended for a 80,000 mile service?i dont know what i did with my book or id look in there..mines a 04 sedan auto if that makes a difference..thanks.

Old 01-07-2010 | 08:50 PM
|
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Old 01-07-2010 | 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by TheTick
I've been lazy and never changed the in cabin filter. I'm at 108k miles and have no problems. I'll probably change it soon.
What kind of problems would you expect? The cabin filter filters the air that YOU breathe inside the car...has nothing to do with the car's performance. Don't know about you, but my health/the air I breathe in is far more important than the air my car breathes in!

Old 01-07-2010 | 09:53 PM
Alex 187 - I'd save yourself the $ and do the air filter & cabin filter yourself. You can find DIY's on here to help you if you're not sure how to do that. The tranny fluid and oil, if you're not comfortable, I'd have done at a good reputable local shop (ask on this forum for a reference).

Old 01-07-2010 | 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
What kind of problems would you expect? The cabin filter filters the air that YOU breathe inside the car...has nothing to do with the car's performance. Don't know about you, but my health/the air I breathe in is far more important than the air my car breathes in!
I disagree...I would much rather run no cabin filter than no intake filter for my engine.

What I meant by problems is that the air doesn't smell, the fan blows strong, I have no allergy probs in the car etc... This topic has been discussed several times, I know my health is not being compromised by a dusty filter. They actually filter better as they get dirty, but then you eventually get to a point where air flow gets restricted. My air still blows strong. Mold might be a concern in very humid areas, but I'm not worried about that here. I do agree that I should at least inspect it at this point, but might as well change it if I bother opening it up.

Old 01-07-2010 | 11:58 PM
^ how about instead of doing things that don't make sense you just run clean filters all around? you bought the G which is designed by nissan to operate with a cabin filter. part of a proper PM program would include regular cabin filter replacement.

Old 01-08-2010 | 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ how about instead of doing things that don't make sense you just run clean filters all around? you bought the G which is designed by nissan to operate with a cabin filter. part of a proper PM program would include regular cabin filter replacement.
I'm in medical sales and the PM for some of our products call for a weekly filter change when in reality they go well over 6 months. Changing it weekly covers the small percentage of units that my end up in extremely dusty environments.

Maybe I'm just old school. There is no odor, the fan blows strong...the filter is fine. I'm meticulous about service intervals on everything else, but a old cabin filter isn't gonna hurt anything. At over 100k miles I do agree that I should replace it. I'm in no hurry though.

Old 01-08-2010 | 10:11 AM
I agree with the cabin air thing

its not like a household ac system

you get air from all around the car, not just the vents

I have 65k on my car now and just changed it out, it really wasnt to bad, but I changed it out cuz I had the dash out.

I live in pretty dust area and my work is in a REALLY dusty area, no issues

Old 01-08-2010 | 11:17 AM
|
Anybody in the North Dallas area have any recommendations for a decent shop to change the tranny fluid? I'll get the J-Matic from Nissan myself.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2010 | 11:29 AM
head to grubbs

they do go work, a little bit of a drive, but worth it

Old 01-08-2010 | 12:20 PM
Don't worry if they give you S-matic instead. It's the newer stuff. I brought the fluid and my mechanic charged me $20 to change it. Once I saw how easy it was, it started doing it myself.

Old 01-08-2010 | 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by TheTick
I disagree...I would much rather run no cabin filter than no intake filter for my engine.

What I meant by problems is that the air doesn't smell, the fan blows strong, I have no allergy probs in the car etc... This topic has been discussed several times, I know my health is not being compromised by a dusty filter. They actually filter better as they get dirty, but then you eventually get to a point where air flow gets restricted. My air still blows strong. Mold might be a concern in very humid areas, but I'm not worried about that here. I do agree that I should at least inspect it at this point, but might as well change it if I bother opening it up.
I hear you there then...really don't know what kind of allergens/smog/carcinogenic exhaust etc. this thing even traps...just seemed odd to not change it for so long. I remember replacing my wife's cabin filter in her Highlander & couldn't believe how much **** it picked up.

For clarification though, I never said I'd run my car without an air intake filter. My intent was that if I had to pick, I would let performance/mileage suffer before I'd let the air quality inside suffer.

I'm curious to see how dirty your cabin filter is, can you pull it out & take a photo? Just curious...not trying to pick a fight here, just wondering how much stuff it has picked up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 40k mile servicing