G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Purchasing a G35x with 77,000 miles...need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing a G35x with 77,000 miles...need advice

Hey guys,

Only came across this forum tonight and I'm planning on purchasing a 2004 g35awd tomorrow morning.

I apologize in advance if i am repeating a question that may have already been answered because of my time constraint. Any help is appreciated.

Found a 2004 awd g35x Sedan for sale by a private owner for 12k.

It has 77,000 miles is automatic transmission and it seems solid as hell.

My mechanic who only deals with hondas and toyotas told me not to go for an infiniti because there are lots of problems with them and they cost your first born to fix.

I'm wondering if i should stay away from this car for the following reasons (from what i've gathered doing research on this forum)

1). Oil consumption - could need a new engine, but won't know until i buy it and drive it.
2). plastic valve covers in the 6th cylinder problem that seems common according to these forums.

I am not a mechanic and don't work on cars at all. All repairs would be brought to a mechanic that works on nissan/infiniti and i'm wondering if you guys think its just too much of a hassle buying a used infiniti with 77k miles on it.

How long do these things last? can i easily expect to go over 150k with this car without having it become a money pit? I will be driving it at least 30 miles a day as i commute to work and don't want to end up stranded cause its consistently in the shop.

I'm getting the car checked by a mechanic tomorrow, so please let me know any advice on what i should tell him to look out for.

The history of the car is as follows.

owner 1 leased it for the first 30k,
owner 2 used it for personal for 5k

then some old dude bought it and put another 40k on it
Now he is selling it.

Any advice and perspective is much appreciated!

Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by cfloson
1). Oil consumption - could need a new engine, but won't know until i buy it and drive it.
The OC issue really only affects 6MT cars...ie the 6-spd models. Your AWD model will have the VQ35DE which is not affected by the OC issue.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey thank you for the info on that one. Much appreciated.

how many miles do you think I will be able to put on this thing before i see major problems that are going to empty my pockets?

can i expect to get 200k out of the car?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm at 80K with no issues. You should be fine. At this point, anything that would go wrong is probably normal wear/tear over years of driving. Parts aren't any more expensive than a Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus....

Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
as stated above, the parts are really to high

and you really shouldn't need any parts anytime soon.

I have an 04 with 70k and have had no problems at all.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey there. BUY IT!

I've got 150k on my 03 sedan. Have owned it since 120k miles. Have had ZERO major mechanical problems with this car. Just normal maintenance. These cars don't have a lot of major issues... and they also don't really cost as much to work on as some people just "assume" because it's a luxury car.

You could expect to double the mileage on that car easily without becoming a money pit.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 AM
^^ To add on to what i said... They are known to have little nit-picky things that bother people... especially with the stock radio going bad... but if that ever happens there is a ton of information on here to help you get that fixed the best way possible.

Does this car have the premium package?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
My mechanic who only deals with hondas and toyotas told me not to go for an infiniti because there are lots of problems with them and they cost your first born to fix.
Does your mechanic think Infiniti is German or something? It's very dependable and no more costly to repair than a similar Japanese car. It's not quite Toyota/Honda reliable, but I'd say it's a solid #3.

2). plastic valve covers in the 6th cylinder problem that seems common according to these forums.

How long do these things last? can i easily expect to go over 150k with this car without having it become a money pit? I will be driving it at least 30 miles a day as i commute to work and don't want to end up stranded cause its consistently in the shop.

owner 1 leased it for the first 30k,
owner 2 used it for personal for 5k

then some old dude bought it and put another 40k on it
Now he is selling it.
It sounds like a good deal. If your mechanic can remove the #6 spark plug, that will tell you if it has the valve cover problem. But it sounds like this car was not abused.

I expect my 05 AWD to last until at least 150K, and hopefully 200K.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TehG35
Hey there. BUY IT!

I've got 150k on my 03 sedan. Have owned it since 120k miles. Have had ZERO major mechanical problems with this car. Just normal maintenance. These cars don't have a lot of major issues... and they also don't really cost as much to work on as some people just "assume" because it's a luxury car.

You could expect to double the mileage on that car easily without becoming a money pit.
Wow, 150K already? I'm just halfway there. But I work from home alot....

Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I have absolutely no complaints. Precisely why I want another VQ :thumbsup:

My first car was an 89 maxima SE 5-speed. It had 155k or so when I sold it. VQ30DE in that biatch. Loved it, too!

Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Except for the 6mt the VQ3_DE motor seem bullet proof. I still have a '97 Max. with 191K miles and running stong. No problems, very low oil consumption, less than a qt. per 5000 miles

Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Guys -

Thank all of you for the help and direction. I really appreciate it.

Had the mechanic pull out the spark plugs and check for oil. None found.

No accidents, car was in good shape.

Only thing it needs are an alignment and new tires.

I'm expecting to drop around 700 on all of that.

Thanks

P.S

As far as servicing the transmission... is that something that only needs to be done at 100k?

Thanks

Last edited by cfloson; 02-05-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I know that you will love your GX as much as I love mine. It's without a doubt the best car I have ever owned.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
maintenance is key.

At my work, there are cars with 150K+ on them....all makes foreign and domestic. The owers all do regular maintenance...oil changes, trans, coolant, diff, brakes, etc etc.

Everytime i hear of someone owning a car that fell apart before 100K, it's usually due of lack of maintenance...then the owner blames the car for being crappy even though they change the oil every 15K miles.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have close to 120k on mine and still runs like a champ. No issues with driving near 22hrs straight through a few months back. BUY IT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a G35x with 77,000 miles...need advice