G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! Engine Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
HELP! Engine Failure!

I was just told by Peninsula Infiniti that I have engine failure, and of course they will not cover it under warranty because my car has been modified.

Here are my performance mods: Injen CAI, Borla cat back, Grounding Gear 5-wire kit.

Here is a little background: I purchased my car in July of '02. It has 29,500 miles on it. About a week ago I had a catalytic converter fail and replaced. Peninsula was not concerned about my mods then. Yesterday on the way to work I noticed the oil warning light went on when I braked hard. This was about 1/4 mile from work. The next day, leaving work, the engine was making awful sounds so I drove straight to Peninsula and waited for the service dept. to open. I knew something bad was wrong. They called me this afternoon and said I had "engine failure" and that sibce my car is modified it was not covered under warranty. The service consultant gave me the Infiniti 800 number to call. I have not called yet, because I want to have my facts in order.

Anything you guys/gals can do to help would be appreciated.

Thanks...Eloy

Old 09-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HELP! Engine Failure!

There have been engine crank sensor failures which have caused stalling and timing problems -- this is a known problem and a TSB has been out for a while.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT, Brilliant Silver

Old 09-03-2004, 07:56 PM

wow that is terrible. I feel yr pain

Back in Black

Old 09-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn,,,,sorry to hear about your car problems.

if I were you, I would ask the service dept to describe the exact cause of the engine failure and have them get it in writing. don't let them get away with, "your mods caused the failure".

ask them what is wrong with the engine, ask for details. ask them the purpose of an intake and the purpose of an exhaust. then ask them how can these mods cause the engine failure they described? GET THIS ALL IN WRITING!!!

once you have it in writing, do you some research on the Magnuson-Moss Act.

then call Infiniti and give them everything you know.

unless the engine failure were caused by the mods, I think you have a strong case.

good luck...

damn...I hate Peninsula even more now...

if you think a group of fellow G owners heading down to Peninsula will help your case, let me know. if it's on a monday or tuesday or early morning Wed-Fri, I for one will make the trip down

Golden Gate G35 Club

Old 09-03-2004, 08:07 PM

Ask them how your mods caused engine failure. It's my understanding that the honus is on them to prove that your mods were the cause before they can just void your warranty. I would also consult a lawyer.

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear.

2K4 G35x/ etc...

Old 09-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Premier Member

Good advice so far...

1.) Ask the dealer too explain what the "engine failure" is?
2.) What caused the failure

&
3.) Why they think any mods you made contributed too that

If you get no satisfaction then remind the dealership they recentley did work on your car and "why didn't they bring up the mods then?"
Remind them that you belong too an online G35 community with over 10,000 members, how would they like too have their company slated by other enthusiasts who would never purchase a car from them or use their service department.
And finally, contact Infiniti and expalin your situation...I really hope you get some resolve from this mate and that Dealership will undoubtedly loose business.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand why you drove the car once the oil light came on. You are obligated to check the oil level and not let it operate low, that act alone is sufficient to deny coverage.

The dealer only reports what they see to Infiniti the regional techs make the final determination.

But that said Infiniti has been pretty easy about engine replacements as long as you can prove the 3,750 mile oil changes. Be sure to point out that you check the oil level at every fuel refill!!!!!!!!!!!! like clock work. Be positive that you are an extra diligent owner.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wondering just how much of the decision to deny warranty coverage was actually Peninsula Infinitis', and how much was attributable to Infiniti Corporate ??

I've always been told that the dealers LOVE warranty work, as it's all $$$ to them from corporate, and a guaranteed source of business and funds (regardless of the dealer, foreign or domestic), so why would they p*ss in their own pool? It sounds like you, and maybe others here on the site, have had "problems" with this particular dealership before, though, eh ??

That aside, I agree with the others - Infiniti has to prove their case, i.e., what actually went wrong with the car, and how your mods directly resulted in the engine failure, or to what significant and measurable degree they contributed, at the least.

For example, I, personally, would love to be in the gallery the day someone from Infiniti Corporate tries to explain in court, under oath, how your cold air intake caused your oil pump to fail, or caused a bearing to seize up, or pitch a rod, etc., etc.

This is a big issue for all of us, modded or not, and there are a TON of "G" drivers with mild mods like yours that are driving around blissfully unaware of their (apparent) lack of coverage. Had there been a blower or a turbo setup, or a NOS bottle in the mix, then I can understand corporate issuing their "no coverage" verdict so quickly, but to be told right away that there would be no coverage due to the mods - did they even tear down the engine and examine it thoroughly ??

Don't give up (I know you won't) - I'll bet this will be resolved in your favor, eventually (OR, there will be a ton of mods for sale on this site very soon ......)

IMHO - DB

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 09-03-2004, 09:23 PM

Thats why I always put my stock stuff back on if I think im going to need warrenty work. Otherwise your just providing them with an excuse to deny you warrenty service.

I know in california, if you have problems with your car and the dealership says its due to your mods, they have to prove it by law. If they can not prove it they have to honor the warrenty.

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT - 2004 350z Roadster Black/6MT

Old 09-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

Everybody thanks for all the suggestions. To answer some of your questions:

I called Peninsula back after I first spoke to the service rep. and got his voicemail. It was right around 5pm so he was probably out the door. I left a voicemail for him to tell me exactly what was wrong with my engine, but I will call tomorrow and follow up.

Good point about them not bringing up the mods when they replaced the cat. There was no mention of them at all at that time. Why didn't they warn me then?

I drove the car directly to Peninsula when it started making noise. It's only a few blocks from my work. When I got there I checked the oil and the entire dipstick was coated.

One other thing that I forgot to mention, I had Castrol Syntech in my car when Niello was servicing it. When I took it to Peninsula they switched me back to non-synthetic. Could that cause any problems?

Thanks for all your support people, I love this forum.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

from a layman's point of view, the change in engine oil should have ZERO affect.

dbarnes - from my understanding, warranty work is done at a fixed price from corporate. if the dealership can deny you warranty, they can charge you their labor rate to get it fixed, which is always much higher than what they are paid by Infiniti.

with something as big as this, I would not do any of the discussions over the phone. a face to face conversation always works in your favor, especially if you have all your facts straight and nothing to hide.

plus, you are on a fact finding mission, don't give them time to dig up stuff that may not be there. if he says this is what is wrong with your engine, you want to be able to say, "Show me", right there and then.

Take pictures just to show them you are serious about possibly taking legal action. Print out a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Act and bring it with you.

Also read the warranty book that came with the car.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/ch50.html

If they can tell you what part of the engine failed, email Injen or Borla and get their reps to send you some literature. Get them to give you information to fight with.

Make sure you get everything in writing. If you have a tape recorder, bring it with you.

I'm a big fan of David vs. Goliath. Go show them that they can't push the little guy around.

I'd like to think all the folks at the dyno day would be willing to help you out since we all are affected.

Let us know how it turns out.

Golden Gate G35 Club

Old 09-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put them on written notice that if they are going to deny warranty, then every piece of the car is to be considered evidence in a legal proceeding and is not to be tampered with, lost, or destroyed. Let them know you're willing to hire your own independent mech. engineer to tear the engine down and do his own failure analysis (sounds like oil starvation) and testify to the same in court. I don't think those mods could do anything to kill the engine, they are full of crap. Go after 'em. When I used to have a Miata, my Mazda dealer complemented me on my stainless 4-1 header, catback, and cold air intake, which was very cool.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 AM

I would get your car towed to another dealer and see what they think. Why go through all this. If you are suing them get your car towed to an independent mechanic who is strong enought to be your expert witness.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 09-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Premier Member

I thought the oil changes were 7500 miles in the owners manual? lol

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, Stilen CAI
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft
Dyno 07-07-04 - 234.2 hp & 233.8 tq
http://www.g35world.com

Old 09-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only IF you can prove that the vehicle never has been driven in one of the listed severe conditions where 3,750 mile/90 day oil changes are required to maintain engine warranty.

If the national computer system doesn't show the interval, up to you to prove external changes.

This is what trips up most owners, not visting the dealer [or somebody] every 90 days for a simple oil change.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine Failure!