G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I couldn't be more UN-HAPPY right now....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I couldn't be more UN-HAPPY right now....

So I get my Gback today after all the mods have been put on.
The car is nice and tight now with the new Compression rods in, the Coupe Brakes and X-drilled rotors definitly bite more than the sockers.....
Now most of you know I had Megan Racing Headers and resonated Test pipes put on..........................

WORST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My car is soooooo raspy its embarrassing coming home I had so many people looking at me I wanted to hide my head in shame. As soon as the RPM's reach 2.5K right up to 3.5K it sounds like a civic with a straight pipe other than that its fine.
I'm calling all Sedan owners for advice here, could I be getting this sound because of the stock muffler? could it be just from the headers? could it be just from the test pipes? I DON'T KNOW I JUST NEED HELP QUICK!!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
First off, get rid of the Megan parts. You're going to be taking those Megan headers off when the welds crack anyways. As a matter of fact, unless you're boosted, headers aren't much of a gain for these motors, if any at all.

As for the resonated test pipes, those are the main reasons for the rasp. It'll get a bit better once the parts burn through the coatings, but it shouldn't matter... those will crack soon enough too (I've been through more than a couple sets).

I think the change of diameter in the piping might have something to do with it, the turbulence from the air moving from a larger piping into the smaller might be vibrating the piping, helping intensify the raspy sound. But from what I hear, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
First off, get rid of the Megan parts. You're going to be taking those Megan headers off when the welds crack anyways. As a matter of fact, unless you're boosted, headers aren't much of a gain for these motors, if any at all.

As for the resonated test pipes, those are the main reasons for the rasp. It'll get a bit better once the parts burn through the coatings, but it shouldn't matter... those will crack soon enough too (I've been through more than a couple sets).

I think the change of diameter in the piping might have something to do with it, the turbulence from the air moving from a larger piping into the smaller might be vibrating the piping, helping intensify the raspy sound. But from what I hear, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Crack??!! from the heat I presume? $hit after what I paid to have them put in. I've never heard of that happening to the headers and I know a couple of coupe owners that are running them
As for the Test pipes I had a feeling someone would say this, thing is my Bro has Test pipes on his Coupe and his rasp is not even close to what mine is.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
^ What kind of test pipes does he have? I've had a set of test pipes with less rasp than another, but those only lasted a few weeks before they cracked. High flow cats have been the best sounding combo I've had so far, but those only lasted a few months.

If you take a look, aftermarket cats and test pipes eliminate a bracket that holds the stock cats. I think they'll sound better and last longer if you can get that bracket reinstalled.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Ya I'm aware of the bracket but I don't see how that would effect sound. I'll try putting the stock cats back on this weekend and see if it makes a difference, I'd rather lose that bit of performance just to get my old sound back.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What happened to the Stillen Stage II setup I sold you? I think that would have been your best bet... did you sell it?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
dofu what the hell have you been doing to where you go through that many test pipes lol.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yeahhh I know the feeling. I have non-resonated test pipes and it rasps like a BITCH. I even installed an inline resonator in the midpipe (coupe) to help reduce it... it didn't help much. I also have a nismo y-pipe, HKS muffler.... i AGREE.. It's almost embarassing. This Nismo y-pipe has a larger diameter than the stock exhaust parts.. so I know this is causing some unwanted turbulence. I plan to get high flow cats in the near future to replace my test pipes, and swap my Nismo Y-pipe for an HR y-pipe.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts
get rid of the test pipes and headers. Really no use IMO. I would go with HFCs and a full cat back (Motordyne/HKS). Will still growl but wont sound like a Civic + fart can.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by RATED G
What happened to the Stillen Stage II setup I sold you? I think that would have been your best bet... did you sell it?
You must have me confused with someone else, yes if I had a Stillen I wouldn't be worried about testpipes.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by MissouriG35
get rid of the test pipes and headers. Really no use IMO. I would go with HFCs and a full cat back (Motordyne/HKS). Will still growl but wont sound like a Civic + fart can.
Testpipes will be off very soon, as for the headers they'll have to stay on considering how much of a pain they were installing and I also paid to have it done (great deal though).

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts
headers then shouldnt cause too much rasp. What exhaust are you running? Delete the test pipes and that will solve alot of your problems.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
10 to 1 odds its your Test Pipes.

Headers will make it a little louder but not raspy

Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
yup change out test pipes, and put oem cats back on, and u can go buy motordyne test pipes or kinetix hfc, and ur car will sound much better.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
sorry don't mean to thread jack, but with your test pipes, the o2 sensors didn't throw a code?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I couldn't be more UN-HAPPY right now....