G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-30-2013 | 03:23 PM
Window Trim and door handle

Hi guys what would the best way to black out the chrome window trim and door handles?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013 | 04:04 PM
G35
Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
I like the dual tip exhaust.
I was going to have a muffler shop just tap into y exhaust and run the second tip to the left side of the car.
but from behind you can see the oem muffler.itd look silly with one muffler and dual tips lol.

so if I have a muffler shop cut my muffler off and split that single exhaust pipe into 2 dual pipes, will it be extremely loud?

I'd like the noise level to stay the same, maybe a tiny bit louder to where it sounds deeper but not loud like a fart can.

what do you guys think?

A few points for you. First, know that I plan on doing a true dual exhaust on my sedan, and I have researched this.

1. This is not easy. The only half-way easy route would be to do it without resonators or mufflers. And that will sound like garbage, not to mention being WAY too loud and obnoxious. It's not a Civic, have some class

2. Unless you use mufflers and resonators, it will sound loud and raspy, like a fart can
The only exception to this is the True dual exhaust from Motordyne, but it's not designed for the Sedan, and is very expensive

3. No matter what way you do it, you have to move a bunch of stuff on the right side of the car, mostly, the charcoal canister. This is probably one of the bigger problems you will have with doing a dual exhaust on the sedan. The most common route is to delete the spare tire and install the canister in the spare tire well, custom job, of course. Plus there is a risk of gas fumes going into the cabin. legally, you cant do it, but people do.

4. If you are serious, know that you will NOT be able to do this job for less than $1000, and that's if you do EVERYTHING yourself, with used materials. That is also WITHOUT touching the Cats at all.

More likely, if you have to pay someone to do this work, it will cost you $2000 MINIMUM, probably more. And if you want it to sound good and still create power, without rasp and fart-can noise, it will DEFINATELY cost more than $2000.

For reference, I have about $1000 invested in my exhaust so far, and I still need to buy resonators, piping, flanges, hangers, rubbers, charcoal canister, hoses for charcoal canister, misc hardware, gaskets, plus pay a buddy to TIG weld it all up when it's ready.
I'm doing all of it myself, except the final TIG welds (because I dont' have a TIG).
That is factoring High Flow Cats and resonated test pipes on my setup. I'll probably be lucky to have the project done under $1700.

Old 01-30-2013 | 04:07 PM
G35
I'll also add, that except for looks it's pointless on a N/A car. Unless you are down-sizing to 2" exhaust, which is obviously illogical.

Dual 2.5" is simply way too much for a N/A car, IMO.

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:34 PM
ibg
brake caliper covers?

im thinking of putting some caliper covers on my car but trying to decide/figure out somethings first:
I want some that are black and have the infiniti logo on it

1.Do they look cheasy?
2. Will they make my brakes last less ?
3. Where could i find some ?( i already look at ebay and i can find are some in hong kong

what you guys think??

also i searched this forum and couldnt find the answer to my ?'s .

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ibg
im thinking of putting some caliper covers on my car but trying to decide/figure out somethings first:
I want some that are black and have the infiniti logo on it

1.Do they look cheasy?
2. Will they make my brakes last less ?
3. Where could i find some ?( i already look at ebay and i can find are some in hong kong

what you guys think??

also i searched this forum and couldnt find the answer to my ?'s .

1. Yes
2. Probably not, they're just covers
3. Ebay/Craigslist/Your local auto shops

It's your car and do what you want to it - but don't expect alot of props or praise for doing it and sharing it here. Also, prepare your angus.

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:44 PM
ibg
Originally Posted by S 854
1. Yes
2. Probably not, they're just covers
3. Ebay/Craigslist/Your local auto shops

It's your car and do what you want to it - but don't expect alot of props or praise for doing it and sharing it here. Also, prepare your angus.
ok if they do look cheasy what else can i do to them ?

and "prepare your angus" What????

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:58 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
lol^^^

I would recommend either you replace your brakes with a BBK or paint them silver. Not much you can do with stock brakes to make them look better and definitely don't do covers. At least they work well from the factory.

Old 01-30-2013 | 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ibg
ok if they do look cheasy what else can i do to them ?

and "prepare your angus" What????

Me thinking they look cheesy and are for poseurs is my personal opinion. You should get them if you like them.

It depends on your budget - if you can't afford a 'name' BBK, the factory Nissan/Infiniti BBK's (Brembos and Akebonos) are good less expensive options. Otherwise do what Dream suggested and paint your calipers silver or black. Or just leave them alone and save up for a BBK.

Old 01-30-2013 | 06:47 PM
ibg
Me thinking they look cheesy and are for poseurs is my personal opinion. You should get them if you like them.
i didnt take offense to your post about them looking cheesy... thats what i wanted to know if they cheesy or not .. and wanted to know what other options are there to modding the calipers to make them look nicer .

It depends on your budget - if you can't afford a 'name' BBK, the factory Nissan/Infiniti BBK's (Brembos and Akebonos) are good less expensive options. Otherwise do what Dream suggested and paint your calipers silver or black. Or just leave them alone and save up for a BBK.
gonna search for the BBK's , if they are too pricey then ill just paint them .. my car is black so i would paint them black since im trying to black out the whole car except for some parts... what would be the best paint to go with? ive seen some brush kits but ive read post on here that those wont leave a good finish and you will be able to see each brush pass....

Old 01-30-2013 | 07:06 PM
G35
The VHT caliper paint worked great on my old ones I was very impressed with it. Don't forget to paint the part of the rotor that doesn't touch the pad or it will still look bad

Old 01-30-2013 | 07:11 PM
You could clean them up and repaint them to make them look better.

In my opinion, that doesn't make them look better, since it's a little tacky to paint the regular calipers. But like S584 said, it's all opinion. If you want a change, paint them.

Personally, if I was gonna paint it, I'd go with a subtle silver or black.

Old 01-30-2013 | 07:19 PM
OB '04 Coupe Premium w/Performance Wheel & Tire
Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
yea I can't have both haha.

I don't get what you mean by "X" pipe

I think I'll have the shop eliminate the oem muffler and put 2 smaller mufflers some where and then run dual tips to each side. and I'll make a sort of heat shield to protect sorrounding things
Here is the thread i started when I began researching TRUE DUAL for the sedan, Im sure TunerMAX has more info to provide. Like mentioned before, do it right or don't do it at all.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ust-sedan.html

Check this link out also, it provides good info from Tony (Motordyne) on back pressure vs scavenging and how to properly engineer a dual exhaust system for the VQ35DE Engine.
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...k-for-n-a.html

You DO NOT want to sound like any of these sedans

These are better:

The following 2 users liked this post by re-crue13:
Blue Dream (01-30-2013), TunerMax (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013 | 07:28 PM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^

Two of those are Twin Turbo, and one is FULLY built N/A with a very very very custom exhaust ($$$$$)

Old 01-30-2013 | 07:34 PM
OB '04 Coupe Premium w/Performance Wheel & Tire
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^

Two of those are Twin Turbo, and one is FULLY built N/A with a very very very custom exhaust ($$$$$)
I know that, I was only using those 3 cars as an example of exhaust note. I realize the F/I will change the sound, but gets my point across.

Old 01-30-2013 | 09:03 PM
G35
Originally Posted by ME GUSTA
You could clean them up and repaint them to make them look better.

In my opinion, that doesn't make them look better, since it's a little tacky to paint the regular calipers. But like S584 said, it's all opinion. If you want a change, paint them.

Personally, if I was gonna paint it, I'd go with a subtle silver or black.
Agree only if painting A color. Black or silver just makes it look new again, which is much better than ugly rust. And I now realize why you say that, because CA,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread