G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Airbag Squib? -per the stealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Squib? -per the stealership

Hello all,

I have a 05 g35x (no mods). I experienced the airbag recall where the seatbelt pressure mechanism was worn down causing the airbag light to flash.

I took it into the stealership and they repaired the recall. They told me that on inspection there was a code stored in the history for my "squip cable" malfunctioning. However it is in the history. He told me that if the light comes on again to take it in because it is probably the squib cable and that will cause thousands of dollars to replaced. My vehicle is out of powertrain warranty as it has 79000 miles on it.

Should I be concerned?

What the hell is a squib cable?

Do they really cost thousands of dollars to replace (on a $15,000 car)?

Note that I never cleared a code on my vihicle.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
is this the same thing as a clock spring?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
it should be something connecting to the clock spring. $1000 to replace is not real. I dont know how the G's wiring is but normally replacing the clock spring takes care of squib issues.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM
ok cool thanks for reassuring me...im reading like $200ish for the part and an hour to two of labor if it is the clockspring

Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
a clockspring is easy to do. a lot of people are scared because of the airbag itself does have a chance to blow up.

most cars, on the side of the steering wheel there are 2 bolts to remove. once removed you can somehow pull the airbag off the wheel. From there unplug the airbag connectors, There is a LARGE hex tool you need to buy to unbolt the steering wheel from the car. Then you just take apart the trim and remove and reinstall the clockspring the squib i think is the part off the spring that plugs into the back of the airbag. Almost all of them are yellow.

Only really thing to worry is disconnect the battery before you plug in the airbag so no power means no power to activate that airbag to break your nose. then after you finish your install then you hook up the battery.

I never did it on the G35, i've done it on a GTi and a lexus, both had similiar stuff.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*

Only really thing to worry is disconnect the battery before you plug in the airbag so no power means no power to activate that airbag to break your nose. then after you finish your install then you hook up the battery.
This is not accurate. The airbags are designed to deploy WITHOUT power from the battery. This way if there is a crash and the power gets cut, the airbag can still deploy before a final impact. Many cars (if not all) have this type of system--I suggest looking at the service manual.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
This is not accurate. The airbags are designed to deploy WITHOUT power from the battery. This way if there is a crash and the power gets cut, the airbag can still deploy before a final impact. Many cars (if not all) have this type of system--I suggest looking at the service manual.
The airbag system has capacitors that will allow them to deploy in the event of a power failure. The amount of time the capacitors hold a charge vary by manufacturer but waiting 5 minutes after battery disconnect before servicing the system is a safe bet.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
it takes like .2 AMPS to deploy an airbag. in a sense a AA battery can do it, as it has enough power there. But with the battery disconnected and the car COMPLETELY drained of all power how will the airbag deploy?

Airbags are design the deploy the instant they have voltage applied. My statement might not be word per word accurate but it is not invalid. I explained it in simple terms VS getting all into detail because that might not be want the OP wants to know. THe OP wanted to know what the squib since its a bad part on his car and i gave him some simple tips how to DIY replace it. Look in the FSM and tell me if it asks you to disconnect battery when working with airbags..